Lost Weather Balloon!

Associate
Quick update guys, picture so you can easily i.d it

BigButtSkinner.jpg

:D

Soldato
Thanks a lot! Much Appreciated

Everything is just RS232 really, (old but easy ;)) There are linux modules to interface with the GPS and the modem. To communicate with our PIC electronics we had to make a simple protocol for them to understand each other. To control the camera you just send different length pulses down the USB line (with custom firmware to control it).

For those who are interested here is the GPS track which we picked up, and displayed on google earth

[IMGhttp://weather.hexoc.com/path.JPG[/IMG]

The straight line is 90miles long and was covered in 38min (142mph :o) The GPS does not give out any readings >70,000ft ish, so we didnt know where it was during this point

Matt

So in laymans terms it could be anywhere?

Soldato
We do intend do to a full technical writeup in the end. In brief, the payload is controlled by a single board linux computer, which is attached to a GPS, radio modem and some custom microprocessor (PIC) based electronics which connects to sensors, a camera, and a few other things. The whole project could be just done with a PIC, although this does impose some limitations. (and yes a school project)

Matt

How do you work altitude? I suspect once it get to a certain altitude it takes images of Earth? How do you do that?

Associate
So in laymans terms it could be anywhere?

I doubt it. When the GPS started 'working again' it can be seen by the pressure that it is decending fairly fast, and would have descended out of the wind that was carrying it at 140mph. The prediction is fairly accurate and seems like a continuation of what we have already recorded

How do you work altitude? I suspect once it get to a certain altitude it takes images of Earth? How do you do that?

It takes images all the time (every min). The camera is controlled by a servo so we get a up, middle, down image. The altitude can be estimated by the pressure, and the GPS also gives altitude (although today that gave a altitude reading every 20mins for some reason)

You have mentioned it to the police? Some chap might already have found it and handed it in to lost property or whatever.

Though chances are these days it'll be mistaken for a terrorist bomb and the police will do a controlled explosion on it.

Good idea actually, although it says 'harmless amateur experiment' on the side, along with our phone numbers. It also has a red parachute attached (hopefully) and a camera on the front, and has properly landed in the middle of a field, so is unlikely to be mistaken for a bomb

Thanks, Matt

Nix

Nix

Soldato
I await with anticipation tomorrow's thread by our resident conspiracy nuts: "UFO spotted over Lincolnshire!"

Associate
I'll be honest guys that is one advanced project, how old are you guys?

Sorry I cant help.

18, and we are not quite yet at uni, but it isnt a A-level project, its an extra thing funded by the school, and we also got some money from Virgin Galactic

Also thanks again to those nearby

Last edited:
Associate
I've not noticed it up in Lancashire, but then I probably wasn't expected to.

On the plus side, I haven't seen any "A possible terrorist bomb has destroyed by controlled explosion in xx" on the news lately, nor has ol' Gordon been on the bbc to denounce reports that the irish are invading.

Associate
I'm guessing it's a similar concept to this project:

http://teslabs.com/meteotek08/

It's in Spanish-Catalan but the images and video give a pretty good idea of what's going on.

Yea its the same idea. There are a few examples on the net, mostly in the US, as unlike here, they can use amateur frequencies in the air, which have repeaters and radio -> internet gateways for packet radio. (We do here too, just its not a legal frequency for airborne use).

A bit more info, the signal can be picked up by a UHF amateur radio, on frequency 446.05625MHz, although 446.050MHz works fine too. It does also transmit on 433.92MHz every 10s, which can also be picked up by a UHF radio.

Thanks, Matt

Back
Top Bottom