Lost Weather Balloon!

Soldato
Why don't you give the actual frequency that the balloons transmitter is broadcasting on? You might get some HAM folk near by help you.

How many watts is the transmitter? Not that it helps much as it is only going to be as high as your average tree.. if you are lucky! ;)

May I ask what is so important about this payload? Am guessing the lauch didn't go to well but surely balloons can end up way out of sea.. and well.. lost. What makes this one so special?

Soldato
A bit more info, the signal can be picked up by a UHF amateur radio, on frequency 446.05625MHz, although 446.050MHz works fine too. It does also transmit on 433.92MHz every 10s, which can also be picked up by a UHF radio.

Why don't you give the actual frequency that the balloons transmitter is broadcasting on? You might get some HAM folk near by help you.
;)

Soldato
opps lol missed that too many drinkies?! ;)

I hope you do recover it guys though the odds are stacked against you.

Where was you expecting this balloon to end up finally? - I would have been pretty amazed if things did go to plan and you were able to find it again. So many things could go wrong. Is very ambitious!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
142mph? Did it enter the jetstream? :eek:

The jetstream was travelling North according to Met office data, but it is possible that that was wrong.

[ZiiP]carrot;13957354 said:
So it could be somewhere around derby?? Will keep an eye out :p

Some of us live just up the road. Feel for us :p

Thank you both! If you or a friend have a PMR446 walkie talkie and could spare a couple of minutes, there might be £50 in it for you :)

You have mentioned it to the police? Some chap might already have found it and handed it in to lost property or whatever.

Very good idea. How do I go about contacting the police about it on a national level?

Why has the GPS stopped transmitting?

The system of course runs from batteries. Whilst they are very high capacity (13Ah) they'll only power the electronics for about 36 hours.

:)

Here's a picture of the payload:

DSC04857.jpg

Associate
GeForce - I e-mailed you a while back, did you ever get it?

Sorry to hear about the balloon, short off it going a few hundred miles of course, I don't know if me listening would be any use!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
GeForce - I e-mailed you a while back, did you ever get it?

Sorry to hear about the balloon, short of it going a few hundred miles of course, I don't know if me listening would be any use!

I didn't get it, no. Can you email me again on my address in trust?

There is a possibility it's gone that far offcourse, so if you could have a quick listen it would be very much appreciated :)

Back
Top Bottom