Lotus are making a hypercar. Meet the Type 130 - Evija

Man of Honour
Cor, that looks great from every single angle. The race mode motion isn't quite as jaw dropping as the Ford GT, but it'll do. That wing must create some serious downforce as will the undercarriage. Perhaps even give Dallara a run for their aero money :cool:

The 250 miles rated range and 9 minutes to full charge seem pretty amazing too? That kind of range is what you'd get from a modern petrol supercar tank of petrol, and 9 minutes is a quick tea break or a walk to stretch the legs kind of timeframe. Think EVs are hitting the right numbers now in this area.

If I win tonight's EM, this will be my 1 of 2 car garage cars. The first one being a Singer 964 :D

Rimac: we have an electric hypercar that makes 1,900 horsepower!
Lotus: hold my Duracell

:D

The range and recharge speed appear to be a bit ambitious given the size of the pack. I’ll believe those when I see them.

How fast and how long do the Williams Formula E units specs at? Since this is lifted straight from Formula E team who do those, I have no problem believing Lotus' performance claims. The Williams team know what they're doing. A Model S will be flat in no time after a few launches in Ludicrous mode which is the only mode that gets the 2.5s times.

Last edited:
Soldato
The 250 miles rated range and 9 minutes to full charge seem pretty amazing too? That kind of range is what you'd get from a modern petrol supercar tank of petrol, and 9 minutes is a quick tea break or a walk to stretch the legs kind of timeframe. Think EVs are hitting the right numbers now in this area.

How fast and how long do the Williams Formula E units specs at? Since this is lifted straight from Formula E team who do those, I have no problem believing Lotus' performance claims.

It isn't lifted straight out of a Formula E car, the power output is very different. There really isn't anything special about the cells in Formula E, its just Li-Ion at the end of the day. The secret sauce is in the electronics around it but they don't change the fundamentals of Li-Ion.

Formula E packs have 54kwh of capacity and a maximum output of 250kw. This car has has a battery pack with 70kwh of capacity and a maximum output of 2,000kw (8x the output of a FE car).

The cells in a Formula E car just need to last the races in one year and they don't need to be rapid charged at high rates. A Tesla actually puts out more power for the capacity but nothing close to the sorts of ratio's in the Evija.

If you look at what Tesla are doing with the new Roadster, it has a battery designed to be driven hundreds of thousands of miles and last the lifetime of the car. To achieve the power output needed for 0-60 in ~2 seconds without destroying the cells it has a 200kw/h pack.

The cells in a road car should last the lifetime of the car. I just don't see how the specs of this car tally up with reality without destroying the cells pretty quickly. You can run cells much harder than Tesla does but not without degradation, its all about how well the cells are looked after.

I suppose these cars aren't really meant to be driven and most will end up as museum pieces, perhaps that is what Lotus are counting on. Given the motor is pulling 1470kw and it only had a 70kwh pack, you'll be able to use full throttle for less than 3 minutes. Far less than a P100D, assuming it doesn't overheat of course. ;)

Man of Honour
Hmm that clarifies quite a few things thanks! I guess cooling and electronics is where they are counting their pennies. No doubt Tesla's software is the showpiece in relation to all these EVs.

Caporegime
I see turbotoaster finally finished ;)

There was a brief article on the news this morning about 350kw chargers (they were at a service station near milton keynes) rollout

8 mins for 200 mile range charging speed with compatible vehicles (the audi etron parked alongside was 150kw max, so the tech isnt really in the vehicles yet it seems)

First 350kWh vehicle is supposed to be the Porsche Taycan, released later this year.

Soldato
I've mentioned this in the other threads on EV's, the actual KW charge rate doesn't really matter. Whats important is how many miles of range are gained for the time charging. A really good example of this is the e-tron and Model X. On paper the e-tron charges 'faster' due to being able to accept 150kw and can sustain it for longer. The Model X actually gets more miles of range over the same period of time because it's so much more efficient. You can also drive it that much further for the same reasons.

With the Tycan charging at 350kw we will need to see how efficient it actually is before passing judgement. It may not actually charge that much faster than a Model S at 200KW if the e-tron is anything to go by.

Soldato
While 800v looks great on a spec sheet, the reality is much more nuanced.

The main advantages of the 800v system is that you can get away with a thinner cable between the charger and the car (and internally of course). Or push more power down the same thickness of cable. This is due to it not pushing as many amps for the same amount of power. The cells themselves are still the same.

It doesn’t change any of the fundamental characteristics of Li-Ion at the cell. The cell level is ultimately what matters when it comes to charging speed and the main bottleneck. All of the cells still have the same individual nominal voltage and can only accept so much current.

The Taycan will also not charge at 350kw when it launches. They are launching the car with 250kw charging capability. We can only speculate as to why, it could be they just need more time/data to validate it or something more serious like its degrading/cooling the cells.

https://electrek.co/2019/07/17/porsche-taycan-250-kw-charging-launch-promised-350-kw/

Like I said in the X vs e-tron post above, there is far more to it than how many kw’s it can take. We will not really know how it behaves in the real world until people get their hands on it outside of very controlled press briefings.

I’m not trying to take anything away from the cat, its going to be a great car. Just don’t expect the drivetrain to be game changing when it launches. It’s looking more like an incremental improvements over what’s currently on the market. The car it’s self will hopefully be a big step up over a Tesla when it comes to interior quality.

Soldato
He made you think it was adaptable for touring and track use. But did you hear the noise in the cabin? That’d drive me ******* insane!

What a beast of a car though.

Yea they have to do something about the noise of EVs. They sound like really bad tinnitus.

Soldato
He made you think it was adaptable for touring and track use. But did you hear the noise in the cabin? That’d drive me ******* insane!

What a beast of a car though.

That's presumably why the video started with a disclaimer that things like the safety levers, mirrors and interior noise are not reflective of a production car.

Back
Top Bottom