Low Carb High Protein Questions

Soldato
Nitro's earlier meal plan is a pretty good place to start.

Always try got get a good portion of protein with every meal. You don't have to have a lot, but you want a constant flow of nutrients to your body. (This is things like meat, fish, eggs)

Keep carbs complex, ie Wholewheet bread and rice instead of white. As said before avoid simple sugars like soft drinks, sweets, cakes etc.

Oily fish like Salmon and Tuna (fresh not tinned) will contain a good helping of EFAs. Remember not all fats are bad, in fact are "Essential" ;)

If you are eating and trainig right, 2500 shouldn't be too high. Stick at it for a few weeks and if you see you need to lower it, then do so, but do it slowly.

Associate
OP
kk, i'll fiddle around with it a little but it seems good, anyway of checking the cal's? any good websites with cal's of different foods etc, then i can post a weekly plan to see if you like it.

Soldato
friddela said:
any good websites with cal's of different foods etc, then i can post a weekly plan to see if you like it.

CalorieKing has a large database. Its got lots of US brands on there but if you're trying to eat fresh, simple food (nothing processed) you'll find it.

Associate
OP
Thanks, i'll put together my week based on cal's and my training, hopefully you can tweak it a little to make it better as i will be doing the shopping for the week on Saturday and will start this new diet on Monday.

Associate
Chong Warrior said:
The more muscle you have the easier it is to lose bodyfat ;) Also it's perfectly possible to weight train when in a calorie defecit, it's one of the BEST ways to burn that fat off!

Eek, stop there. The best way to burn off fat is to do cardio, at 70% of your maximum heart rate, preferably for well over 20 minutes (cos in the 1st 20 minutes your body just uses energy reserves, after that it starts on fat and protein, go over 70%mhr and it will use a higher ratio of protein to fat) . Weight training has so many periods of sitting on your butt waiting for the the lactic acid to subside that you end up not burning a great deal of calories. Go for a 30 minute run or swim and you'll probably burn off more fat than doing a hour of weights.

Now muscle does take some calories to sustain, but not many. God if you really want your body to burn calories become an alocolic and expand that liver, cos it really eats up the fuel. (joke) . If i can find the article when I get home I'll post up the exact figures.

However its is generally advised to do weights when trying to lose the fat as it encourages the body to hold onto the muscle mass.

Soldato
branddaly said:
Eek, stop there. The best way to burn off fat is to do cardio, at 70% of your maximum heart rate, preferably for well over 20 minutes (cos in the 1st 20 minutes your body just uses energy reserves, after that it starts on fat and protein, go over 70%mhr and it will use a higher ratio of protein to fat) . Weight training has so many periods of sitting on your butt waiting for the the lactic acid to subside that you end up not burning a great deal of calories. Go for a 30 minute run or swim and you'll probably burn off more fat than doing a hour of weights.

Now muscle does take some calories to sustain, but not many. God if you really want your body to burn calories become an alocolic and expand that liver, cos it really eats up the fuel. (joke) . If i can find the article when I get home I'll post up the exact figures.

However its is generally advised to do weights when trying to lose the fat as it encourages the body to hold onto the muscle mass.

Actually the best way to burn off fat is to have a perfect diet :p

He said one of the best ways not the best way. Using a combonation of cardio and a good weight training routine will have good results on loosing fat. Depends how hard you work in the gym doesn't it? I typically have round 1 mins rest between sets and im busting my balls especially on leg and back day, and im breathing very heavy and sweating my head off, so it is a brilliant way to burn fat.

Caporegime
branddaly said:

actually you do burn off quite a lot of calories, not just during your workout, but the day after as well (more than if you had only done a cardio session). the more lean muscle mass you have, the more calories you burn naturally.

also, you will find that everyone has a different peak to burning fat while doing cardio, the standard '70%MHR' response is no longer viewed as being optimal for all people.

weightlifting isnt meant to be easy so that you dont work up your heart rate, so that you dont sweat. if your not breathing heavy after some heavy sets then you arent working hard enough.

Soldato
branddaly said:

"Everyone is different"

What works for one doesn't automatically mean it will work for another. I NEVER do cardio (I really mean never!) and I reckon I can burn fat as well and as fast as anyone who does hours of cardio.... it's mostly all about calories.

There are also other factors like hormone levels, diet timing, supplements (green tea, ALCAR, ephedrine, etc) muscle mass, genes, etc

Also I never said weight training was THE best or the ONLY way to burn fat did I? :p ;)

Soldato
branddaly said:
Weight training has so many periods of sitting on your butt waiting for the the lactic acid to subside that you end up not burning a great deal of calories. Go for a 30 minute run or swim and you'll probably burn off more fat than doing a hour of weights.

While you are correct in stating that (in a round about way) that per unit time of exercise, cardio burns more cals than weights, as Morba has pointed out over an extended period post workout (~12hrs), weights will raise your base metabolic rate such that in that 12hr period you'll burn more cals than with cardio (as your metabolic rate is lower).

I'm not saying don't do cardio, or that cardio won't work, just if you're a lazy sod like CW, its not strickly necessary to lose fat :p

Having said that, in the last year i've done 6 cardio sessions but dropped my BF from ~14% to ~9% :cool:

Soldato
MTA99 said:
I'm not saying don't do cardio, or that cardio won't work, just if you're a lazy sod like CW, its not strickly necessary to lose fat :p

Having said that, in the last year i've done 6 cardio sessions but dropped my BF from ~14% to ~9% :cool:
LOL cheeky sod :D

I find cardio so boring it's dangerous, I'd fall asleep and hurt myself! I'll play football, squash, take kids swimming, etc for the sake of fitness but I don't do it as a way to burn carb's, I just don't eat that extra piece of toast :p

Impressive fat loss there btw, how did you get you bf measured?

Soldato
Chong Warrior said:
LOL cheeky sod :D

I find cardio so boring it's dangerous, I'd fall asleep and hurt myself! I'll play football, squash, take kids swimming, etc for the sake of fitness but I don't do it as a way to burn carb's, I just don't eat that extra piece of toast :p

Impressive fat loss there btw, how did you get you bf measured?

Got some calipers and use a 7 point skin fold test.

Whilst we're on the subject, anyone seen the calcs for a 9 point test? I carry a bit more fat on my back that my front so while my abs and obliques are visible my back is lacking a little "definition" ;)

Associate
OP
Hi, i've been looking at example cutting diets and found this one:

06:30am :

45 mins of gentle cardio (walking uphill, jogging slow, cycling)

07:15am :

40g Whey Protein in water,
40g Oats in water
1 Cup green tea
1 Small Grapefruit

10:00am:

100g Tuna in Olive Oil with a small salad (tomatoes, leuttice, cucumber)
Handful of Almonds
15ml Flaxseed Oil

01:00pm:

100g Mackerel or Salmon
100g Fibrous Vegetables
1 Tablespoon Peanut Butter

04:30pm:

1 Large Chicken Breast
2 Slices Wholemeal bread

05:00pm:

Training (weights or more cardio)

06:00pm:

40g Whey in water
20g maltodextrin
20g dextrose
Creatine
Vitamin C

06:45pm:

75g wholemeal pasta or brown rice
150g chicken breast or 150g lean beef
Loads of vegetables
Some fish oils (O3 epa,dha)
1 Cup green tea

09:30:

200g cottage cheese
25g Almonds

This looks ok for me however i will need to make a couple of tweeks around school times, i can do this exact diet on sat-mon and i will need to change the times on tue-fri as im in lessons from 9-11.

A couple of other things places are telling me to take multi vitamins and minerals which seems like a good idea these wont affect my diet in anyway will they?

Plus, i was thinking of some alternatives to the cottage chesse, almonds, green tea and peanut butter as i do not like any of them. I could live with the tea for a while but twice a day everyday is a bit much for me as i don't like tea at the best of times.

This is for a 200 lb person and is a little under 2500 cal's i think so it should work fine.

Soldato
Kudos for spending the time to properly research the different diets out there, you've obviously got the most important aspect of this sorted already..........dedication!!

Having said that, I still stand by my previous comment that you don't need such an extreme diet to see results. If you don't like cottage cheese or peanut butter, drop them, change them for something you do like..........don't worry about counting every last cal, as long as across the week you've got a calorie deficit you'll lose weight :)

At the end of the day you need have convinced *yourself* that what you're doing is going to give you the results you want - its the only way you'll stick at it. There's no way half the guy on here eat the same dull food everyday cos they enjoy it, they eat it cos they know it will/should give them the results.

Associate
OP
Hey, thought i'd post an update on the progress.

I started the new diet last saturday, bought loads of stuff. Been having mainly chicken, tuna salads with two pieces of wholemeal bread for two meals and then some veg with chicken/beef for the other and of course breakfast and a little something after it all.

I've been on this one week and i think i have been rewarded to be honest. Lost 2lb, which i think is pretty decent, also, i feel a lot better, no tiredness what so ever. I've been taking multi-vitamins and A-Z Minerals each day in one tablet i think they have made a difference, but yeh i'm please to say this isn't even a chore if you know what i mean, i dont feel hungry at all and i like all the foods i'm having.

I'm starting to do cardio this coming week in the morning and weights or cardio at night also. Hopefully my total weight loss will stay around the 2lb mark whilst losing more fat and gaining more muscle, but we will see.

Also, in the morning i have whey protein with oats like in the example i gave. I'm just wondering how much water you should put in lol. If it's enough for it to be like a drink, or like a cereal, or a little amount just to wet it and mix the whey and oats together as i'm not entirely sure.

I've bought the flaxseed oil, creatine, malt and whey from a health store. The creatine says take 3x3 a day for first week, then 2-4 a day there after. Just wondering if theres a different dosage as my aim isn't to really body build. This is what the kind lady said at the store. I may just leave the creatine out for now depending on whether it is that neccesary or not.

Lastly, just like to say thanks for steering me away from the "atkins" diet and advising me to go on this one. :D.

Soldato
friddela said:
I've bought the flaxseed oil, creatine, malt and whey from a health store. The creatine says take 3x3 a day for first week, then 2-4 a day there after. Just wondering if theres a different dosage as my aim isn't to really body build. This is what the kind lady said at the store. I may just leave the creatine out for now depending on whether it is that neccesary or not.
Don't listen to the ladies in the health stores about supplements like Creatine, they know absolutely zero! This is no word of a lie, a couple of weeks ago a woman working in Holland & Barrett refused to serve a 17 year old lad Creatine because she said it had steroids in it... you couldn't make it up! :D :D

Taking Creatine will make you put on weight but it won't be fat it will be water, so don't get disheartened if this happens. If you think you will then stay off the Creatine for now ;)

5g after you've finished training in your PWO shake is fine, no more is needed ;)

Back
Top Bottom