LPCAMM2 is here!

I see. The difference in opinion is because I specified desktop, but you're comparing HEDT/workstation/server machines. That doesn't really change the analysis though - there's still a hard limit on how much RAM you can install based on the chip size, module size and number of modules the memory controller can drive.

No you just assumed 48gb is the maximum DIMM capacity for some reason. That’s not the case it’s just what motherboard vendors have qualified and that qualification is likely because of what the vendors feel is all the segment needs. A Zen based part is a Zen based part, they are all the same.

Last edited:
No you just assumed 48gb DIMMs is the maximum a DIMM capacity for some reason. That’s not the case it’s just what motherboard vendors have qualified and that qualification is likely because of what the vendors feel is all the segment needs. A Zen based part is a Zen based part, they are all the same.
48GB is based on the number of DIMM slots and the largest modules available. More isn't happening on a desktop machine since, as I said, the memory controller can't drive them, so you need RDIMMs. So the comparison between 1x128GB CAMM and 4x48GB DIMM is completely fair - it's the maximum currently practical for both technologies.

Last edited:
48GB is based on the number of DIMM slots and the largest modules available. More isn't happening on a desktop machine since, as I said, the memory controller can't drive them, so you need RDIMMs. So the comparison between 1x128GB CAMM and 4x48GB DIMM is completely fair - it's the maximum currently practical for both technologies.

I’m sorry you’re just wrong. Your also making some assumptions about CAMM.

As I said large capacity DIMMs are a thing.

Edit: Actually very large capacity. 1024gb 8000mt ahoy!

Last edited:
I’m sorry you’re just wrong. Your also making some assumptions about CAMM.

As I said large capacity DIMMs are a thing.

Edit: Actually very large capacity. 1024gb 8000mt ahoy!
Can you link to some 64GB UDIMMs please? I've only ever seen RDIMMs that size, for the same reason you don't get >4 slots on desktop motherboards. I know larger ones will appear eventually, but I didn't think we were there yet. Of course larger CAMMs will appear to, so it still doesn't change the comparison.

Can you link to some 64GB UDIMMs please? I've only ever seen RDIMMs that size, for the same reason you don't get >4 slots on desktop motherboards. I know larger ones will appear eventually, but I didn't think we were there yet. Of course larger CAMMs will appear to, so it still doesn't change the comparison.

Yeah, it would have to be or you’d painting outside of the lines, and that’s not allowed. I believe the max unbuffered density for DDR4 was 128gb, but I’ve never seen 64gb unbuffered DIMMs, never needed them TBH. Could be useful though…

Yeah, it would have to be or you’d painting outside of the lines, and that’s not allowed. I believe the max unbuffered density for DDR4 was 128gb, but I’ve never seen 64gb unbuffered DIMMs, never needed them TBH. Could be useful though…
I'm going to ignore that first part and continue as if we're both trying to have a good-faith discussion. Of course the standard permits higher capacity DIMMs, but they require larger chips, and once those are available they can be used for CAMMs too. So the comparison just changes in proportion, from 128GB vs 4x48GB to, say, 256GB vs 4x96GB.

I'm going to ignore that first part and continue as if we're both trying to have a good-faith discussion. Of course the standard permits higher capacity DIMMs, but they require larger chips, and once those are available they can be used for CAMMs too. So the comparison just changes in proportion, from 128GB vs 4x48GB to, say, 256GB vs 4x96GB.

Lol, OK but in ignoring the first part you miss the details and the devils in the details. As I said I feel having more complex traces on the motherboard is a very small price to pay for the advantages of a DIMM.

The big question is why?
The applications for a format like this are limited so unless it provides a strong value proposition away from laptops I don’t see much of a future. Its not a solution to anything that is real issues.

Graphics cards or add in boards with upgradable memory is solution people have been asking for a long time. The question is would AMD, Nvidia and Intel get behind something like this?
thats like saying why upgrade from pcie 3 to 4?

its faster and better in every other way

why would you be an enemy of progress?

thats like saying why upgrade from pcie 3 to 4?

its faster and better in every other way

why would you be an enemy of progress?

Because it’s not better in every way as discussed. Why would I make sacrifices, to pay slightly less for a motherboard?

If CAMM allowed for upgradable memory on a GPU then sure, that is a solution to an actual ongoing problem and maybe worth buying into.

Because it’s not better in every way as discussed. Why would I make sacrifices, to pay slightly less for a motherboard?

If CAMM allowed for upgradable memory on a GPU then sure, that is a solution to an actual ongoing problem and maybe worth buying into.
nobody is asking you to make sacrifices.

new boards that come out should take advantage of this new tech, the old one can stay as is

Back
Top Bottom