*** lumia 640 & 640xl ***

Associate
Just picked up a 640 to have a play. Surprising just how good it is for such a silly price.

yeah absolutely thats one of the things that convinced me to buy one. and also iam done paying for flagship models if this is the new standard for microsofts mid price phones now then im staying in the middle

Last edited:
Soldato
Associate
Must say I am quite likely this phone. Sometimes the animations are a bit laggu if that makes sense, is that normal? I take it that with a flagship device I wouldn't get these? Might get the 940 when it comes out

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks, I'll take a look. While I'm here, anyone know a way of turning off live tiles? Even after a month I find the blinky LOOK AT ME! tiles a bit annoying, so I've put most of them off my main screen.

I guess live tiles is one of their main differentiators though, so this might asking a bit much.

You would be mad to turn them off. But most apps with live tile have a setting in the app to switch them off.

Soldato
Well, it's things like the People icon which I really don't need flashing around pointlessly. The weather icon I can understand but if I want a minute by minute update I'll look out of the window, and to get a look into the future you have to open it up anyway. You've prompted me to find the setting for that now. It was buried but there, so thanks for prompting me to be a bit less lazy.

The photo tile I'd already found the settings for, but the shortcut tiles to the few direct shortcuts to people flash about needlessly with no obvious settings. The Cortana tile seems to have no setting, and neither do those tiles showing a group of apps. But shuffling them off the screen isn't an issue.

Obviously you'd never want to stop the live tiles showing txts, calendar, emails, or missed calls, but they don't flap about annoyingly, just display a number or brief details.

One feature I do like, in a totally trivial aesthetic kind of way, is the way the little notification icons rotate when you switch from landscape to portrait. Shame the tiles don't rotate as well to allow landscape use, but all home screens seem to be standardised that way, so it's not a legitimate gripe.

Anyway, I now have a totally static home screen, with all the ADHD stuff hidden off the bottom. I'm slowly getting this thing set up to suit me! :)

Associate
I really like the 640. Every phone I've had there's always been something that makes me want to change phone but this is the first phone I've not been compelled to change.

It's the right size, weight and style. Has the right screen size, enough cpu and gpu power and even comes with 4G, the OS isn't as bad as Windows Phone 7 was (the last time I tried WP) though I'm looking forward to Windows 10 and universal apps. Even managed to track down an original blue back shell for it.

I thought I'd miss android and it's apps and while I admit Windows apps are a bit lacking, especially in the games area, for the most part the built in apps do everything I need it to.

All that for £120 sim free is ridiculously good.

Last edited:
Soldato
I really like the 640. Every phone I've had there's always been something that makes me want to change phone but this is the first phone I've not been compelled to change.

It's the right size, weight and style. Has the right screen size, enough cpu and gpu power and even comes with 4G, the OS isn't as bad as Windows Phone 7 was (the last time I tried WP) though I'm looking forward to Windows 10 and universal apps. Even managed to track down an original blue back shell for it.

I thought I'd miss android and it's apps and while I admit Windows apps are a bit lacking, especially in the games area, for the most part the built in apps do everything I need it to.

All that for £120 sim free is ridiculously good.

I'm exactly the same, it just does everything I need it too, for the price theres nothing that can touch it imo, what impresses me most is the battery life, easy getting two days of normal use

Back
Top Bottom