M.2 SATA SSD in PCIe slot with adapter card on x58

Associate
Perhaps it is a stupid question but I'd rather be safe than sorry before buying anything. I have an EVGA XLI3 x58 board and I recently got a PCIe to M.2 adapter card. I know my platform will not boot NVMe and it is basically impossible to find AHCI PCIe SSDs at this point (or perhaps someone can point me to the right place), so the only choice I have is an M.2 SATA SSD so I can get rid of the drive cages completely in my case and let the front fans push air directly on the mobo.

The question is, would a SATA M.2 SSD work in a PCIe slot with the M.2 adapter? From what I understand, the answer is most likely no which means I am either force to find an AHCI drive somewhere or stick to the old school SATA SSDs.

Any thoughts?

Associate
OP
What card did you buy?
it's just a brandless m.2 to pcie card i picked up from amazon. I know it works because i tested an SM951 nvme on my X79 system and it was recognised in windows but not in the bios.
The question is, can i use a standard sata m.2 ssd with it and get my pc to boot from it, or do i need to find an ahci drive?
There are no ahci drives to be found anymore so either there is a big gap in the market or sata drives will work just fine in a pcie slot with the adapter.

Back
Top Bottom