M.2 SSD advice

Caporegime
Not sure I agree with this. I recently swapped a nvme out of my laptop to set up a threadripper build and set the laptop up on a sata ssd. It feels slower across the board even simple tasks like opening Windows explorer. The difference was enough that I ordered another m.2 and it's back to its old zippy self, the drive I put in was a 240 m500. Perhaps my use case is not your norm but I'll often have Photoshop, sql management studio, visual studio and other dev apps open.

With my use case the difference between sata and nvme is like night and day it felt like just a fraction slower in everything I was doing which got tiring pretty quickly, I was running the Nvme in it for a year and after only about 4 weeks of the sata I decided I needed the nvme back.

I think you’re in the minority with this opinion, I’ve seen very few people mention a noticeable difference. I don’t think I’d be able to tell in a blind test which system was which.

If opening explorer is slow on an SSD then I’d be worried about your system tbh. Explorer opens instantly on both my SSD and m2 drive. It’s not a lot of data to load even at mechanical drive speeds.

Man of Honour
I think you’re in the minority with this opinion, I’ve seen very few people mention a noticeable difference. I don’t think I’d be able to tell in a blind test which system was which.

If opening explorer is slow on an SSD then I’d be worried about your system tbh. Explorer opens instantly on both my SSD and m2 drive. It’s not a lot of data to load even at mechanical drive speeds.

I'm just giving an opinion on using an NVME for a year in the same machine and then going back to a sata ssd, this is a machine that I use for 7 hours a day at the very least 5 days a week. I genuinely didn't think that I would notice a difference which is why I took it out in the first place but for me there was and it was enough for me to put another one in. The machine is a i7 6700HQ, 32gb ddr4 so not a slow machine at all.

Back
Top Bottom