m.2 ssd noib advice

Associate
Im building a new rig and going to put a m2 ssd in. I see these just clip onto mobo

1/ is it possible to install windows straight onto it from the dvd like I could with old ssd?

2/ do I have to worry about temps?

edit : stupid typo in topic :)

Soldato
Im building a new rig and going to put a m2 ssd in. I see these just clip onto mobo

1/ is it possible to install windows straight onto it from the dvd like I could with old ssd?

2/ do I have to worry about temps?

I've recently replaced my SSD with a M.2 and I had to do a BIOS update on my MB, I would check 1st but to be sure I would:-

Download the latest BIOS update for your board.
Create a Windows install USB rather than DVD as some sata ports are disabled when using the M.2 slot (if your optical drive is plugged into one you won't be able to use it).
Do a test by removing all sata cables attached to mb, connect the M.2 drive and then check in the BIOS that it is seen (if not you can update the BIOS and then check again).

I've heard that M.2 drives run hot and people have stuck RAM coolers to them but I've kept an eye on mine since I installed it and the temps aren't bad, if you have good airflow in your case there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Associate
OP
I've recently replaced my SSD with a M.2 and I had to do a BIOS update on my MB, I would check 1st but to be sure I would:-

Download the latest BIOS update for your board.
Create a Windows install USB rather than DVD as some sata ports are disabled when using the M.2 slot (if your optical drive is plugged into one you won't be able to use it).
Do a test by removing all sata cables attached to mb, connect the M.2 drive and then check in the BIOS that it is seen (if not you can update the BIOS and then check again).

I've heard that M.2 drives run hot and people have stuck RAM coolers to them but I've kept an eye on mine since I installed it and the temps aren't bad, if you have good airflow in your case there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Ok this is all new to me, can you download a bios update for MB without windows on? Can it connect to wifi in bios?

Associate
I have a Toshiba XG3 NVMe M.2 512GB SSD in my mini-itx rig. Had to slap some copper shims and a thermal pad on to bring the load temps down from 70c to a more manageable 50-55c

Some controllers do run really hot.

Associate
I bought and Aquacomputer Kryo M.2 for my SM951. Just doing the testing at the moment but it seems I might be a worse case scenario.
That's what I use too for my 950 Pro. It dropped temps from going into the 60's in normal use to now not going over low 40's however hard it's pushed..

Associate
hi I want some advice, I am benching my Samsung 960 nvme drive on Ryzen and read speeds are off the chart. hitting 9000 mbps and 232.669 random IOPS. is this a Samsung thing or Ryzen thing. many regards.

Last edited:
Associate
It's because you have RAPID mode enabled which uses some of your RAM as a cache. So you are actually benchmarking your RAM.

hi no I do not have rapid mode on. I have issues when its enabled. but yeah its not on at all. plus rapid mode on my m.2 doesn't give you the option to turn on rapid mode.

Back
Top Bottom