Mac Pro Users - Last Update Effecting Your Network Connection?

Soldato
Hey Guys,

Any Mac Pro guys here having network dropouts to there routers and need to restart / unplug & replug there ethernet cables to regain a connection every 30mins or so?

Had this suddenly happen since yesterday.

Rich

Soldato
Not a Mac Pro user, but my MacBook has had a lot of drop outs since the last update, the WiFi icon still shows as connected, but it just stops sending or receiving any signals, sometimes it springs back into action, sometimes you need to turn airport on and off again.

Glad to hear it's not my hardware though

Soldato
davestar_delux said:
A lot of peoples ISPs have been affected by the recent flooding so is it definitely your Macbooks with the problem?

The connection or wifi on the router isn't dropping out, and it's not happening on any other systems, so it must be.

Soldato
My initial thought is that it's basically a change to improve battery life by shutting down the air interface when not in use.
However (a) I can't believe that the air interface is not in constant use and (b) why would this effect non-laptop systems such as the Mac Pro that don't have a battery!
Only other explanation is if they applied the same drop functionality for all machines.. more likely a late night bug fix with bad testing as they only used copper network..

Soldato
Have had trouble with the last couple of updates - so have many people.

MBP decides to connect to the wireless network or not when I log in - sometimes it joins without problems, other times it's a problem to make it join.

Soldato
I posted in the software section - there's a MBP only update. Although apple does not state what it actually does (no release notes etc).

Soldato
OP
Seems to be doing OK now guys - the only reason I thought it was the MP was when I unplugged the network cable from the back and plugged in back in or restarted, it was all fine!

Anyway thanks for your help!

Rich

Soldato
Try switching AirPort off, deleting the networks (System Prefs->Network->Show"AirPort") then switch on, reconnect.

Soldato
OP
Back again guys...

Seems that it wasn't a temporary thing and has been happening a couple of times an hour since last time I posted.

This is a wired connection by the way!

If it persists i'm ringing Apple on monday!

Rich

Soldato
I noticed that there's an article on ethernet jacks on appledefects.com

After a bit of research it appears that several of the issues with the MBP are caused by the overheating. Such as the airport lost packets etc.
What prompted this research was a freeze due to overheat (watching DVD I did notice it get hot with a GPU temp of 68degC!).
So I'm tempted to reapply the thermal paste.

Soldato
OP
NickK said:
I noticed that there's an article on ethernet jacks on appledefects.com

After a bit of research it appears that several of the issues with the MBP are caused by the overheating. Such as the airport lost packets etc.
What prompted this research was a freeze due to overheat (watching DVD I did notice it get hot with a GPU temp of 68degC!).
So I'm tempted to reapply the thermal paste.

that is quite interesting but does that effect the Mac Pro? my Mac Pro temps are usually extremely low!

Rich

Back
Top Bottom