Mac to PC (I can't wait)

Associate
Hello Everyone

I'm trying to build my first PC and have decided on the following parts:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £794.14 (includes shipping: £25.20)​

As a bit of a newbie, I'd just like to check all the items are compatible and I haven't overlooked something important?

Some requirements is that I'd like the PC to be relatively quiet (doesn't have to be silent) under heavy load. I also don't want it to be ginormous in size, but price trumps this requirement. I'll add another HD later.

Thanks!

Soldato
Hi,

This:

Total: £455.92

is better than that bundle. Faster processor, faster RAM which Ryzen likes, newer B450 mobo which although not "X" is built better than quite a few X370s, better cooler, slightly faster SSD. Only £7 more than the bundle. If you went with the bundle's 2600 CPU and 3000 memory it'd be cheaper but I wouldn't do that.

A 580 for a GPU is fine but on Friday (supposed to be Friday) Nvidia are releasing new cards as fast as GTX 1070 and some models could be £250-ish. So please wait a few days or you could kick yourself real bad. If they turn out to be just out of budget, that's when you knock down to 2600 CPU and 3000 RAM if needed. :)

PSU I recommend you change to one of better quality. +12v rail max wattage (450W) that doesn't come close to the total stated wattage for the PSU (600W) is never a good sign and is not really considered a true 600W PSU, plus those use cheap capacitors etc inside.

For the same price as that Kolink, you can find (for example) a Corsair CXM 550W Bronze (or Corsair TXM550W Gold for not much more). Those actually are 550W PSUs and provide more power on the vital +12v rail than the Kolink does. They also come with better 5 and 7 year warranties respectively and the usual good standard Corsair support.

With the BitFenix Formula Gold 550W out of stock there is nothing below £70 that I'd currently recommend from OcUK. So for your budget I'd look elsewhere for PSU. The Kolink comes with a terrible (for a PSU) 2 years.

Associate
OP
That's great, thanks Danny!

So would you agree on the below? I personally don't mind if it's a smidge over my initial budget. I aim on building this on Friday so will add next day delivery to it. For that reason I'm not too bothered about waiting for new GFX cards (you might think I'm insane).

In terms of other questions, I've already got a set of small computer screwdrivers etc, and presumably the thermal paste is already applied to the processor? Do I need anything else (beyond Youtube on Friday)?

Total: £827.49 (includes shipping: £27.60)​

Soldato
That's great, thanks Danny!

So would you agree on the below? I personally don't mind if it's a smidge over my initial budget. I aim on building this on Friday so will add next day delivery to it. For that reason I'm not too bothered about waiting for new GFX cards (you might think I'm insane).

Nah, if you can make a choice and stick to it without regrets then good for you. There'll always be a next GPU as that gets upgraded more often to keep up with games or better screen etc. So whereas initially the new Nvidia cards may look great for the money, in "x" months time there'll be something else.

In terms of other questions, I've already got a set of small computer screwdrivers etc, and presumably the thermal paste is already applied to the processor? Do I need anything else (beyond Youtube on Friday)?

Velcro is very handy for cable management, especially for first build. I've added a couple of velcro choices to your spec, along with a better Gold PSU for £75 (since you're spending £74) with 650W.

Total: £820.93 (includes shipping: £12.60)​

Associate
OP
Fantastic thanks Danny. Quick question before I buy, is it possible to get a similar spec but at a smaller overall size? I can't imagine needing more than another HDD or two. I initially went for the midi case as the bundle dictated the size. I'd like the PC to be as discrete as possible as long as it doesn't affect price or performance .

Associate
OP
Would this work? The only thing I'm confused about is the motherboard (not quite sure why I'd get one over the other) and whether the cases would fit everything. Would the system run hotter or louder with micro ATX vs mid? Thanks again I really appreciate the help.

Total: £982.98 (includes shipping: £26.34)​

Soldato
It's a little harder to build with small cases like that but I'm sure you'll manage. The Phenom ITX has a (arguably) better and more traditional interior layout than the Phenom M-ATX. Exterior is the same on both. They look very nice in the flesh. They can get hot. Built a couple a few years ago and one of the owners ended up getting the ventilated side-panel for it.

Trouble is good ITX boards for around that price. Though if you're not overclocking it should be ok.

Another issue is GPU length and thickness. Phenom ITX will just about fit the Strix 580 length-wise but the Strix is 2.5 slots thick so it won't fit that way. If it does, the fan shroud will literally be touching the side panel.

There's always the Phenom micro-ATX.

I would actually take a look at the Fractal Node 304. To me it has more going for it, and already comes with a ventilated side panel for GPU.

Total: £91.09 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

Once you make your choice we'll add what's needed to a new spec.

Soldato
Not to rub it in but the new cards arriving would be more ideal for small cases. They will use less power and be quieter under heavy load (one of your requirements). In a bigger case the fans wouldn't have to spin up so much.

Associate
OP
Wow that looks like a nice case and incredibly compact. Obviously it won't allow great upgrading options later but if we consider I might only want to increase ram later, only have a few HDD, and not the very latest gfx cards (the Rx 580 is fine for now). If it doesn't get any hotter than a micro ATX (especially if I don't want to OC) and is no more fiddly to install then I think it looks perfect .

Soldato
This is a spec for the Node 304 with some extras to help with cooling and noise and cabling:

Total: £916.00 (includes shipping: £17.22)

PSU has been changed to a modular variety to help reduce cable clutter. It is 140mm as recommended for compatibility with long graphics cards.

GPU has been changed to Sapphire Nitro+ which is less thick (2.2 slot). If you want to take a risk with the thicker Strix (2.5 slot) that's on you because you'll have to send it back if it doesn't fit. The Gigabyte Windforce (2 slot) is cheaper if cost needs to come down although it's often said that the Sapphire has the better cooler (which has 4 heatpipes v Windforce's 3).

SSD has been changed to M.2 form factor (goes directly into motherboard M.2 socket) so that you have more remaining space for when you add another (regular) drive/s. Plus gets rid of the need for two cables (Sata data and SATA power).

Fan splitter added. The Node 304 has a fan controller for the case fans. However, it's only two speeds so you wouldn't have the control over them that you would with the motherboard fan header. Being Fractal fans, they'd probably be low spinning and silent even on the second speed. But the other benefit of the fan splitter (in case the first is redundant) is what the reviewer in the video pointed out - the location of the fan controller and needing a molex means passing more cables through to an awkward spot. Using the fan splitter, you don't need to use the PSU's molex cable, and the splitter goes into the SYS_FAN header on the motherboard.

Finally, CPU cooler added. Adds to cost but if you're gonna do it, might as well do it right. i.e. If a small case like this happens to support tower coolers, then they are extremely useful with helping cool not just CPU but removing hot air from inside the case and pushing it directly to the rear exhaust fan. The stock fan that comes with the CPU blows air down/sideways and it goes everywhere. If it helps - if this system was for me, and the total needed to come down, I'd go with the cheaper 2600 processor in place of the 2600X, because I wouldn't notice a few MHz less as much as I'd notice temps and the noise caused to cope with those temps.

Back to the actual cooler - the Brocken 3 is assymetrical and massively offset away from the memory slots so seems a good choice, not just so it doesn't block the memory slots, but also because it will leave more room for where the (regular) drives go, than a cooler that will sit closer/on top of the RAM.

If you need cheaper, switch 2600X to 2600. Switch 3200 for 3000 RAM. Get the Gigabyte instead of the Sapphire. And ditch the Brocken 3 cooler and just go with the stock cooler.

The splitter and the velcro (or a few extension cables etc) are the sort of things that OcUK staff have said they can usually throw in free of charge if you ask them. And indeed they've been nice and done me the favour a few times.

Last edited:
Soldato

Afterthought - you haven't mentioned Windows 10 so I'll just check. You'll either get/already have it on USB. Or you download it from Microsoft onto a minimum 8GB USB flash drive (obviously beforehand using another computer).

Associate
OP
Thanks guys, what a great community, so helpful.

orbitalwalsh, thanks for the info, would the 1660Ti fit into the below build? I'll consider that as an option if I don't end up building tomorrow (I'd like to but understand it might seem a bit rushed). I can always swap it out in the future. Also, what PSU would you now recommend with the below?

Danny75, thanks so much for your help, you've been so helpful. I'll install Windows 10 on it, can I do it via an external HD? Or does it have to be a USB stick?

I've decided I'm a bit worried with how cramped the Fractal Node 304 will be (and hard to build) and for a slight increase in footprint and price, I can get something easier to work with. With that in mind, any final tweaks to make this as good as possible is welcome as I'm sure it can go a little cheaper again now we don't need to squeeze as much.

I need to buy you guys a drink!

Total: £882.04 (includes shipping: £13.20)

Soldato
I've decided I'm a bit worried with how cramped the Fractal Node 304 will be (and hard to build) and for a slight increase in footprint and price, I can get something easier to work with.
1 x NZXT H200 Mini-ITX Gaming Case - Black Window= £89.99
With the functionally absolutely useless PSU shroud marketing excrement that NZXT isn't really that much less cramped and easier to work with.

Anyway for CPU cooler this Cryorig would be well enough and more reasonably sized than Alpenfohn for easier installing/working with:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cryorig-h7-ultra-cpu-heatsink-with-black-120mm-fan-hs-012-cy.html
140mm fanned ones can protrude quite a close to PCI-e slots and in Mini-ITX motherboard only slot is in uppermost possible position.

Associate
OP
Hmm, I'm starting to get a little confused with the options.

Last roll of the dice for me today. Ideally I'd just have a relatively small and simple case that fits MicroATX and a full length (and 2.5 form factor) gfx card. I personally am a little concerned about having something too small and think a Mid Tower is too big for my needs.

I actually think the Coolermaster Silencio 352 Micro ATX Case (i've put in a similar case for now), looks good, but it isn't on OC. So I'll buy that from elsewhere. For the rest of the items, does the following look ok? I'm not bothered about waiting for newer gfx cards.

Total: £833.40 (includes shipping: £12.60)​

Soldato
I personally am a little concerned about having something too small and think a Mid Tower is too big for my needs.
Don't you know that only two sizes exist: Too small and too big. :p
Anyway MicroATX case automatically fits any thickness graphics card with room for four expansion card slots.

And that Coolermaster case looks nice with easy to work with insides without PSU shroud fashion BS.
https://www.eteknix.com/cooler-master-silencio-352-matx-mini-tower-review/3/

CPU cooler height limit is quite decent 155m which would fit even step from top level performance Scythe Mugen 5.
And Cryorig H7 fits with loose to spare.
Wraith Spire bundled with 2600X isn't that special cooler if you care about noise level.

Overpriced for being only 500W and with second tier capacitors.

Back
Top Bottom