MacBook Cracks

Soldato
I was just curious if anyone else on these forums have had their MacBook suffer from cracking on the top layer? My MacBook suffered from this problem in August 2007 at about 11 months old. I took it to the Apple store and they replaced it under warranty. They replace the whole layer including keyboard and trackpad.

The reason I ask is because my girlfriends MacBook which was purchased in early May 2007 (11 months old) has just developed the same problem in exactly the same place. I’ve read about lots of people with this exact problem on the Internet, it normally occurs on the right but also sometimes the left of the surface. The picture below shows which part breaks.

cracked.jpg

Soldato
OP
Yeah they will replace it as I got mine repaired as I said. I suspect that it is more to do with the magnetic latching system because there are bumpers on the lid that can be pulled into the MacBooks chassis with some force. I think this may eventually lead to it splitting the plastic. It does hurt your writs when typing though so it's not just cosmetic damage. My girlfriend is currently on placement in Germany so she'll have to wait to get it replaced as she needs her MacBook daily, luckily it is under 3 year warranty from the HE store.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's a known problem and Apple will fix it out of warranty. Two of my housemates have MacBooks and they've both had that that bit crack and need replacing.

Associate
Yup i currently have exactly the same thing. Happened about a few months ago and still haven't got it repaired. Do i just take it back to any apple store or is there a specific shop.

Soldato
Mine has done this but I can never be bothered taking it back into the shop; I just patched it up with some tape. Looks unsightly but adds character - I've had it a couple of years now.

I usually pick the laptop up on that side (right handed) so I think the casing on that edge gets stressed by the torque. Thats my theory anyway.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Just noticed mine has cracked in the same place. Not sure if I can be bothered to send it to get fixed though as I don't want to be without my MacBook for too long.

If it's anything like my iMac repair, it'd take 3-5 working days at most.

...and that is a much more involved process, and it was sent back to Apple UK, in Ireland.

Soldato
OP
I'd like to know, can you get repairs within the apple stores there and then? Without having to send it back via courier which takes days/weeks.

Well I had to book a slot at the "genius bar" in my local Apple Store and handed over my MacBook, they said it could be a few days. I got a call later that day saying it was ready to pickup. I'm not sure that'll be that fast but I don't think they will send it away, they must do the repairs in store. I wasn't asked any questions about how it happened or anything, they are well aware of the problem and should fix it for free.

Associate
Had mine done within the hour at Meadowhall.

If you dont want to leave it there, ask them to order the parts, and then take it in when the parts have arrived, and they can normally do it within the hour.

Back
Top Bottom