Made in Britain?

Associate
mate, not to be harsh, but there was plenty of warning that MGs (by that stage) were terrible. That decision is entirely on you lol.

Oh yeah, definitely! Literally everyone I knew told me not to buy it, but I wanted a real British sports car and I couldn't afford anything better!

Totally 100% an avoidable mistake, no argument! :)

Soldato
For some reason I cant shake off seeing how we built cars ( men with hammers knocking out dodgy bits), theirs plenty that we do make well, but nothing I can think of in a wide scael consumer level.

Soldato
'Made in Britain' is pretty much a lie these days.

Look at Vauxhall and their constant lies of "British brand" and "made in Britain."

Hasnt been a British owned brand since the 1920s & as far as 'Made', every single last nut and bolt is manufactured overseas, shipped here and fitted together

I put my IKEA wardrobes together, doesn't make them 'Made by Resident'

Caporegime
Are there any electronic goods companies in the GB/EU that don't source their components from the far east? Is it even possible?
Since moving here i've noticed a load more things marked as "designed in Sweden" manufactured in blahblahland.

Other than Food and Clothing(which is still technically imported cotton/materials) what else can you do?
Forestry is huge here but furniture at an affordable price point is still not Swedish. Denmark and Estonia seems to dominate that market.....

THe West really is doomed..

Caporegime
Nor really, often a sign of lower quality to meet a price point with higher manufacturing cost.

Made in Germany for example is usually a good sign of a quality product with a higher price tag.

Soldato
In on thread where people proudly slate things made in Britain to virtue signal how they aren't racist by decree of hating their own country

Soldato
Lots of shooting clothing and accessories used to be British made and the quality was excellent. American made shooting wear and gear was equally good and often cheaper as the Yanks have a huge and very competitive market for such things.

Check the label carefully and support local manufacturers.

Clothing definately. Asian made shoes falls to bits within months. British made ones last a long time, even the "cheaper" ones.

Doc Martens used to last forever when they were made in England. But now they are made in China and Thailand the quality is pretty poor.

There are a lot of scammy forign companies using old British brands to sell crap.

Last edited:
Caporegime
At best it's meaningless, but as already said it's probably not even true...
'Made in Britain' is pretty much a lie these days.

Look at Vauxhall and their constant lies of "British brand" and "made in Britain."

Hasnt been a British owned brand since the 1920s & as far as 'Made', every single last nut and bolt is manufactured overseas, shipped here and fitted together

I put my IKEA wardrobes together, doesn't make them 'Made by Resident'

It makes me look a bit harder at the product, usually to check if it actually is made in Britain or like many sellers are doing now finding out its actually "designed" in Britain and made in China.

It's like those sellers on eBay who claim to be UK-based, but when you look harder on their page, it shows a Chinese address. I've fallen foul of this many times.

Soldato
In on thread where people proudly slate things made in Britain to virtue signal how they aren't racist by decree of hating their own country

Lamenting the state of the manufacturing industry (either for it's lack of quality output or just it's absence in general) in your country is not "hating your own country".
Quite the opposite. It's because I love my country that I want us to do better in that regard, not just pretend the opposite.

This isn't the first time you've misconstrued criticism of the UK as hatred of it. Is anything but unwavering patriotism now considered "virtue signalling"?

Soldato
Lamenting the state of the manufacturing industry (either for it's lack of quality output or just it's absence in general) in your country is not "hating your own country".
Quite the opposite. It's because I love my country that I want us to do better in that regard, not just pretend the opposite.

This isn't the first time you've misconstrued criticism of the UK as hatred of it. Is anything but unwavering patriotism now considered "virtue signalling"?

Why would we manufacture things? It makes no sense. We're a geographically small country without many natural resources. Instead we focus on research and technology and finance, that's obvious. There isn't counter balance from the posters slating British manufacturing saying what we are good at. If you want to look at good British manufacturing go look at BAE, we have an exceptionally good high tech manufacturing industry.

Back
Top Bottom