Mafia 2 demo!

Soldato
Graphics are really nice, it looks like they are using a form of smoothing on foliage that makes them look tons better than pretty much every other game. Eclectic's last shot shows this pretty well.

Soldato
Got a [email protected], 4gb ram on windows 7 and an nVidia 470. Tried playing through the demo with settings maxed and physx on medium but it just started to really slow down half-way through the warehouse. I think it was the physX that did it, the graphics still seemed fine the game just seemed to be running at almost half speed and the controls were jerky.

Turned PhysX off for the benchmark, seemed to be quite a bit of slow-down when loading content but apart from that it worked fine, average fps was around 39 but when I tried to take a screenshot it took one of my desktop instead o.O

Definitely going to need a dedicated physX card if you want to use it in the game, I really didn't notice any difference between the gameplay with physX and the benchmark without. Content loading stutters are a bit worrying, could just be that the benchmark moving all around the city like that doesn't suit their streaming engine. My minimum framerate was 2.9 or something shocking because of that.

Associate
This is brilliant - anti aliasing seems to make very little difference though and eats loads of frames so I've turned that off.

Really hope it's possible to edit the FOV though - everything seems really zoomed in

Soldato
Graphics are really nice, it looks like they are using a form of smoothing on foliage that makes them look tons better than pretty much every other game. Eclectic's last shot shows this pretty well.

I think they hijacked DX10 particle smoothing for that :)

EDIT: As for AA, I'm not positive but from the sound of that tech video they had this is a deferred engine which means any anti-aliasing is faked. It's just some form of edge detection then blurring the edge pixels.

Associate
I haven't even started the mission yet, just robbing places and trying to survive the cops. Anyone finding the shooting (more surviving) rather hard? I seem to get shot to bits in no time, especially when you have the police and thugs(?) after you.

Disappearing bodies are somewhat of a nuisance. I had a policeman float from the back of the car to the door to pull me out when driving off. :(

A timer patch has already been released by inf1kek and works well. You can grab it here - Mafia 2 Demo Timer Patch by inf1kek. And intructions from inf1kek if your AV complains about the patch:

1) go to 000F5380, look for D9 56 4C, and change it to 90 90 90.
2) save file and play without timer.

Permabanned
Seems a bit meh to me but then I was never a fan of the first game, and I don't worship the mafia or find that time period very engaging. Can't see any reason I'd play this over the GTA IV games.

Associate
I don't like games which have AA, that isn't actually AA, just blur.

Apart from that, and the pretty bad car handling (might be better with controller), very good game!

Associate
Wow this game looks amazing...My PSU is on RMA so i can't use my 5850.

Do you feel my pain :( Looks like a mix of GTA and The Getaway...Looks like a defo purchase without even playing it.

Caporegime
I restarted the game and forced AA in CCC before hand. Got a grade D but it didn't seem all that bad, better than I hoped. Applying AA in game without worrying about the control panel didn't give any change in the image so it kind of seemed pointless to be concerned about at this early stage. Anyway, regardless of that applying AA in game / application controlled gave me a grade C and about 40% more frames.

Obviously with my rig I can't even attempt to use physx. Apparently not missing much there either atm.

Will play the demo later.

Soldato
Great demo, really looking forward to this now. First PC game I've said that about in years!

Running it with 4af and AA on at 1440 x 900 with most settings on and getting great smooth play!

sk.939 FX60 2GB 4870 512mb

Associate
Very nice game works fine on my 4850 GoldenSample Card 1920x1080 maxed out too..

only thing i don't like so far is the fact it looks too zoomed in when you walk around other that its a really nice demo...the game itself will be great.. one of the features i really like is the speed limiter (you can switch it on and off) really nice feature.

Associate
I haven't even started the mission yet, just robbing places and trying to survive the cops. Anyone finding the shooting (more surviving) rather hard? I seem to get shot to bits in no time, especially when you have the police and thugs(?) after you.

Disappearing bodies are somewhat of a nuisance. I had a policeman float from the back of the car to the door to pull me out when driving off. :(

A timer patch has already been released by inf1kek and works well. You can grab it here - Mafia 2 Demo Timer Patch by inf1kek. And intructions from inf1kek if your AV complains about the patch:

1) go to 000F5380, look for D9 56 4C, and change it to 90 90 90.
2) save file and play without timer.

AVG finds a 'Trojan Horse Dropper 2' in the file :(

Soldato
Played for about two minutes....jizzed my pants.....deleted demo. Looks so, so good and seems to have kept the character of the original. I've never anticipated a game so much as this one and it looks like I'm not going to be disappointed! Will wait until release before playing again though as I don't want to ruin it.

Associate
AVG finds a 'Trojan Horse Dropper 2' in the file :(
It is a patch so quite likely to flag some AVs. You can always revert to a HEX editor to do it manually.

I have tested it myself and it works fine. Obviously I won't be the most trustworthy person, so you can always play it safe and wait for someone else to confirm it.

Back
Top Bottom