Mafia Trilogy Remaster

Soldato
This is coming out soon!

Check out the screenshots on the Microsoft Store of Mafia 1 Remake. If you're familiar with the game (and I'm the world's biggest Mafia fan) then you'll know this is lightyears better than the original!

Although it looks like a couple of shots are of Vito, so perhaps they're all being redone in one engine?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/mafia-definitive-edition/9nzc09nnr93l

I'm so excited!

Soldato
OP
Hopefully they make the racing mission a bit harder in the first game.....

It's actually quite enjoyable after patch 1.3 as you can set a difficulty mode and damage on/off. I'd even say it was enjoyable when using a 360/X1 controller as the game supports analogue acceleration/brake and steering.

I'm really hoping they retain the tricky handling (they are 1930s cars after all) as it took a bit of nuance and finesse to get the best out of the vehicles.

Soldato
OP
That's my worry. Like any good blockbuster series, the quality deteriorates during later installments.

I keep meaning to pick up the original disk version of Mafia 1 with maps. Own the GOG versions only missing the soundtrack due to licensing, albeit restored through community patches.

Definitely will be one to watch.

I have the Cd release and it has a great newspaper style manual which is enjoyable to read as well as a giant map!

Soldato
OP
Finally got a gameplay trailer

It's gunplay straight from Mafia 3 - not terrible - but goes for the cover based shooting gallery approach.
The gunplay goes for quantity over quality (by which I mean the original had fewer AI enemies but they could wreck you in a few hits whereas this has dozens of enemies to kill in each gallery)
The city and cars still look ace
The voice actors and their new lines sound dreadful
The voice over said they've tried to make it "more apparent" that Salieri is in conflict with Morello and that Salieri underdog. I read that as "it will be a lot less subtle and nuanced". It was pretty obvious in the original that that was what was happening!?
Zero gameplay driving is shown, which is still my biggest worry that it will be like Mafia 3!

Soldato
OP
Where are you getting your reviews from as the few I've read say it's a 7 or 8 out of 10 area game?

The game has been dumbed down from my limited play. I did the first mission and in the old game you were told to lose the the bad guys and that was it. in this new game you have to follow checkpoints and go through scripted shortcuts to shake the bad guys.

I didn't realise this and after going to a scripted roadblock smash I tried to drive to little Italy over one of the bridges but it was blocked by some lorries and boxes I've tried to smash through it but just stopped dead as I hadn't completed enough stupid scripted shortcut things!!!!!!

Soldato
OP
Yes I think that sort of detail has been lost. I think for people who Like Games and haven't played the first one recently then it'll be a good game. But Mafia 1 nerds it's dumbed down.

But again, I've only played the first mission!!

Soldato
OP
They've made a few particularly difficult turns easier now: The main sharp bend on the central island on the route from the 'Little Italy - Central Island Tunnel' and 'Central Island - Eastern Island' bridge which was like a 50 degree bend is has now been made a lot easier by a big service road so its more like 2x 100 degree bends. This bend used to be key in your escapades as you lost a lot of speed there and the cars take an age to get back up to speed

The back alley run to the race track by a factory and then down a narrow, bumpy alley has been made a lot easier too - you no longer have to aim for a narrow gap to make it into the alley, its a wide open courtyard

Soldato
OP
I did a comparison of places that haven't been removed between OG Mafia and New Mafia. Both were run at 1280*1024. Both can do 16:9 but I didn't want a super wide image!

Hoboken Station - facing east on both photos

Pyrvmt7.png

Church Front

u0jP4Zs.png

Church Side

iJCPo4K.png

That shortcut near Old Salieri Bar:

MFychA3.png

Salieri's Bar

GYoAJPO.png

Construction between Downtown and Hoboken

ffYwaXL.png

Petrol Station near Oak Hill on the way to Hoboken

LeGJyB0.png

Downtown, outside the (old) Corleone Hotel

esuwDWm.png

Salieri Garage

1R0dATa.png

Diner at the far corner of the map

B4fzZML.png

Not sure what the artifacting is all about on the old game, looks fine when I play it!

Soldato
OP
I agree...
Im sure there was lots of talking to Frank and learning how to unlock cars in the original game, at least on pretty much the first 5/6 missions. I think I've had 2 and they've given up with this idea. Frank seems totally useless so far.
You talked to Ralf to unlock a new car at the start of most missions. You wouldn't be able to steal them if you hadn't been shown how to break into them by Ralf. A few key lines by Frank have been removed, like advising the Don not to trust Tommy when he first joins "I wouldn't trust him so much, he's just joined now because he has nowhere else to go". Salieri says some of his content now.

Lucas bartone is another that so far has been totally unused. I'm sure again by the point I'm at, I had visited him at least a couple times, and his missions were optional extras if I wanted to do.
In the original you would visit Lucas after most missions and unlock faster cars. He is completely removed (I am on the penultimate mission at the moment) after the race mission, even if at the race mission he says "thanks I owe you, come and see me". I assume in the bank mission I will get a fast car from him or something.

They have removed some of the driving from a to b parts. Disappointing tbh as driving through the city is enjoyable for me when you try to drive sensibly and stick to the law
Yeah a few bits are now cutscene, after playing it for 19h including a fair bit of free ride, I don't mind the odd drive across town being remvoed.

Playing classic can be ridiculously hard. Some missions I've spent hours over and over doing the same section. Made only worse as loading times are poor, and often I can die within seconds of loading up
I'm playing "fully" classic and it is difficult but still easier than the original game, if you don't know where all the bad guys are off by heart! Some of the scripted sequences are pretty hard. The loading times are a little too long and sometimes I need to press enter twice to get back into the game which is also frustrating when I'm frustrated!

Guns feel totally valueless. Getting a mission with a colt 1911 was a real treat. That's totally gone.
You can pick any weapon + full ammo you want from Vinny's metal cage room thing at the start of a mission (even if you're not instructed to go there). The pistols seem pretty rubbish as they're not very accurate but by the mid game the tommy gun is everywhere and I don't think the enemies need more powerful weapons than that!

I really wish the game didn't point to the exact place you have to go next. The giant square is frustrating.

There seems to be just one way to do each mission. Original mafia was a plain open world but with multiple ways to acheive some missions, similar to hitman games where you could poison the food or just go gun blazing etc. Mafia DE seems to be more scripted, more linear andudt he done exactly the way hanger13 wants you to do the mission.

This is my main issue with the game - it's very heavily "scripted". Heavily scripted chase sequences or events looked crap in GTA IV, crap in GTA V and crap in this. You have to do precisely what the game tells you to. Go here, do this, this thing will happen, go here etc; and when you try to fight back against the scripting (I took a shortcut to get head of a car I was chasing in a scripted chase sequence) it goes spectacularly wrong as the rubber banding comes into effect etc. The game tries so hard to build immersion but when something stupid or illogical happens (like getting dozens of headshots, seeing blood go everywhere, on the dude you're chasing in a car but he doesn't die until he is allowed to die in a car crash) it breaks that immersion. The original was much more open and without HUD markers or anything. It's a modern remake but itself 5 years out of date I feel!

Soldato
OP
Well I've now completed the Definitive Edition on Classic Mode. The ending is a little better, but a bit disappointed with the lack of things I've unlocked (nothing). I was hoping to be able to customise freeride a bit like the old game but nope. The game is not going to replace Mafia 1 but it is a fairly good game. The scripted nature of it shows its age

I'm also annoyed the race track stays firmly locked up. The description for free ride says "explore the map in its entirety" and the racetrack is definitely on the map. Why is it locked off? If it is DLC I will be quite grumpy.

There are definitely freeride extreme style missions in free ride. Have a look around the Salieri buildings to find instructions on this ;)

Soldato
OP
See. It’s crap like this that is wrong. The whole loading up a flatbed truck with cigs was meant to pull you into the mission and add immersion to that mission so why remove it? Where is the logic in removing immersive elements which made the game what it was?

Watching vehicles evolve as the game progresses was another thing that was so good about the game. Now they’re all unlocked? I mean wtf *looks around for a bell*

I hate to hear what the hell they’ve done to that Barn mission that takes place at night. Think it involved alcohol robbery or something. That mission was an absolute nightmare at times due to a baddie with a shotgun towards the end of it who is hidden in a small hut.

Not all vehicles are accessible from the start, some vehicles become available at later years (i.e. the fast cars) so there is some progression. There does seem to be less vehicles though, they're missing a guardian or crusader, one of the fast cars, a Model B family car (it goes straight to the Sherbet [not the proper name but that's what I read it as])

I think they've streamlined it a lot because there is a whole generation, or two even, of gamers who never played the original, and that level of busy work would simply be unacceptable. In my opinion that stacking boxes bit was and is a chore having played Mafia 1 again recently; even Mafia 2 did a little dig at it in the early mission stacking one box for the bossman at the docks. Having said that, the DE has a forced stealth mission in place of this and I prefer the former (just about).

What's the point of putting the tram and train all over the maps to never use these and have them rideable? Why did they add lucas bartone to never see him again? Feels they cut some parts to hit the release date and

I don't really miss the public transport. I never used it and it was a pain using it in the one mission you were forced to. If by not including it they gave themselves an extra few weeks to get the driving as good as it is (or whatever) then I think that's fair. Lucas Bertone being removed has removed several hours of gameplay and I am hoping it doesn't reappear as "Lucas' Adventures" or whatever.

To be honest I don't view it as a replacement for Mafia 1, it sits alongside it. I play Mafia 1 every year or so and I will probably play both again.

Back
Top Bottom