Magic the Gathering (MtG)

Thanks all for your input! I went for a deckbuilders toolkit, it seemed the best bang for buck. £18 and I have 285 cards... Tonnes to start me off with.

Now I just need to learn all the different card types! I understand the basics. Which will do for now.

Anyone got any tips on creating a basic deck?

Anyone got any tips on creating a basic deck?

I am no expert and have not played with many people, but I get the most enjoyment using the below:

1. For me rule one is use cards you like.

2. Don't have too many badass cards with high summon costs.

3. Have a small deck, so you get to use the cards regularly.

4. Have couple of destroy artifact cards, there are a few nasty artifacts that can basically make it near impossible to win.

5. Don't rely on a single stragedy, ideally have several methods to do damage and prevent it, which work well alone but improve when used together. Do not rely on a single badass card for your stragey as it might be at the bottom of your deck.

6. Pair up two colours that you like the style of, I find Red to be not much fun.

7. Many of the pre-built decks have duplicates, I find this a bit boring, so I try to use similar but not the same cards.

As I said this is my formula for enjoyment not victory, there is no benefit crushing all if its not fun.

I love magic and was pretty heavily invested around summer 2010, I amassed a few thousand cards over a few months but then the shop I was gaming at went under and I got married and it all fizzled out, still about 6 or 7 decks stashed away, I really must get back in to it...

I get back into it every 1-2 years, I seem to rotate between that, Warhammer Fantasy and 40K (although I'm currently thinking of starting Bushido the Game which looks pretty appealing).

I only play EDH/Commander so tend to buy singles now as I probably have a few thousand cards after collecting heavily during the Masques/Invasion/Odyssey years.

I'm wanting to play some MtG since I've played the app on the iPad.

I have 476 cards but still to play a game. Going to twist my girlfriends arm to get her to play it with me.

I used to really enjoy Magic, but eventually the cost just got too much. Shelling out for more boosters just got too much. And that was when I discovered Living Card Games instead. The best known LCG is probably Android: Netrunner.

LCGs have the same deckbuilding as TCGs, but instead of buying booster packs where you have no idea what you're going to get, you could get a pack of cards that will simply never fit into the deck you're trying to make, and the one rare card you want costs £10 on ebay if you want to get a copy to put into your deck. Instead of all that, LCGs do what are essentially mini expansions. Around once a month, Android gets one of these released, and every box contains the exact same set of cards. You can go online, see what the cards are and decide if any of those cards would be good for the deck you're building, or if it's worth passing for that month. Meaning you don't spend all your money super fast.

I also prefer Android because it's asymmetric, the two opposing players play completely different games, one player is basically a big corporation trying to complete agendas, while the other player is a hacker trying to hack the corp's computers and steal the agendas.
I should probably make an android thread instead :o
[/sidetrack]

Maybe an LCG thread? The wife and I occasionally dip into the Call of Cthulhu LCG, but the game mechanics on that one are somewhat lacking, I think, with some seriously overpowered factions.

Also, if anyone plays online CCGs, have a look at Might and Magic: Duel of Champions. You can get some pretty good stuff going on there without even spending a penny, and it's good fun.

Not to mention keep an eye out for HEX: Shards of Fate... looks like that might be an online Magic killer when it's finished!

I played this from Unlimited through to Ice Age.

Funniest story is a guy I know who traded his Black Lotus for a Fireball in Unlimited. I think he got the Black Lotus in his first booster. Nobody knew what was rare at that stage and he just thought the Fireball was a cooler card.

Hello everyone,

I have only just discovered this awesome card game, and being a life long geek, I don't know why I didn't look into it before!

I'm going in to town to buy my first starter packs today at my local indie geek shop. And hopefully get some tips.

I just wondered if there are any players on here?

I've only done 3 matches vs AI on my tablet, after playing the tutorial and watched a few youtube videos. I've got a very basic understanding of the rules, and I'm fascinated at the amount of options you have to kill your opponent!

Anyway, new level of geek achieved :)

Which app is this on the the tablet exactly?

I currently have a dable of Magic Online (but thats digital content/paid for).

I am not trying to steer you away from MtG - I think it is a fantastic game! - but you might want to have a look at Hex: Shards of Fate. It is out in Alpha now and you can still get in by backing on the Slacker Backer level. It is, of course, an online game, so if you're craving the physical part of a TCG, Hex is not for you.

Hex is in many respects like MtG but will feature PvE as well. Lots and lots of other interesting features as well!

It absolutely destroyed its Kickstarter target, taking in over $2million. To say it has high expectations set against it is a massive understatement.

The Alpha is VERY rough at present, but the content they're showing off on the site in terms of PvE quests etc., and their plans for regular prize tournaments online etc. are excellent. I really can't wait for it... went in for the KS at a level that gives me quite a good number of starter decks and boosters. :)

Yes, it is $50. You will then get the reward stated on the official site plus more or less immediate Alpha access. I say more or less because their CS will mail you a confirmation, which might take a day or two.

The Alpha is rough but I would say that it is very much less rough than other Alphas I've been in. It is limited to PvP (you have 4 copies of all cards so far released), but they will certainly try to get Draft and at least some PvE content in before Beta. (Actually, I personally believe that we will be in Alpha for quite some time since all Kickstarter rewards will be added in the Beta and from then they can't balance/re-write cards in as heavy a fashion as they are currently doing at the moment).

And, if I may, a little guild advertisement. I am in Clan BlackBlade (http://www.clanblackblade.com/) so have a look at that :)

EDIT: There will be a wipe after Alpha but none after Beta.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.
When you talk about PVP and PVE I dont understand how this applies to a TCG exactly?
Are you just talking about playing vs computer or vs real people?
Does the game have an RPG element to it or something? Levelling etc?

Anyone play MTGO? I am pretty appalled at the outdated client. Even the beta one sucks. I don't want it as flashy as Magic 2014 but still. It's yuk.

Looking forward to FNM. Has been a while and I need to sort out my deck and maybe actually get a sideboard going as well.

Back
Top Bottom