1x Akoum
1x Sire of Stagnation
2x Ulamogs
2x Quarantine field (1 is foil boo!)

and

1x Overgrown Tomb
1x Godless Shrine

Associate
Depends really. At the end of the day it's luck of the draw. Sometimes you can get super rare cards, like the dual land foil ones. I think one can be worth around £150-200 each! If you have 2 or more decks then yeah deffo. But if you only plan on using one then you're possibly cheaper buying singles.

The downside for me is I've got a power of commons that I don't think I'll ever get rid of, they take up a wee bit of space.

Associate
i might look into pauper decks that we can build to compete against each other as we want good decks but im not willing to start spening £100's just for my wife and I.

I think that's a great way to build a budget version of an existing deck type (Delver being a prime example) that can be added to with higher level cards, piece by piece.

Just need to be aware that if you take it outside of the kitchen table environment, not all Pauper legal cards are legal in other formats. There is a Pauper night in Manchester at Travelling Man that I'm thinking of putting a deck together for a giving a go.

Associate
The downside for me is I've got a power of commons that I don't think I'll ever get rid of, they take up a wee bit of space.

Same, hence why I'm thinking Pauper could be fun! Although, quite a lot of Pauper viable cards are from way back when etc..

I do sometimes wonder about buying a huge, bulk load of commons from all sets and seeing what i could throw together. 'Usually' I just buy singles.

Associate
If you have 2 or more decks then yeah deffo. But if you only plan on using one then you're possibly cheaper buying singles.

I'm new so just the 1 deck for now. I've been promised a Fat Pack for £29.99 when they come back in stock so I think that will do.

I've noticed there's a lot of selling ~500 Zendikar commons on auction sites presumably the chuff from the Booster Boxes. They go for around £8-10.

Soldato
Opened five booster packs yesterday and pulled two mythics. Crap ones but still better than nothing. Still havent sorted out my main deck, I know its green/white token aggro but still need to get a heap of singles to attempt to make it work. Some of the cards I want are insanely priced, so looking for alternatives.

Also if your getting singles look at magicmadhouse as they are consistantly cheaper than ebay even if your buying 4 of one card

Associate
I know its green/white token aggro but still need to get a heap of singles to attempt to make it work. Some of the cards I want are insanely priced, so looking for alternatives.

Ah, brilliant! I have a modern deck that's G/W tokens and it's pretty powerful, just not totally consistent. What kind of decklist are you looking at? I'd be interested to compare notes.

Also if your getting singles look at magicmadhouse as they are consistantly cheaper than ebay even if your buying 4 of one card

Agree, I like MMH and have used them a lot but they don't seem to price match singles. I went elsewhere for a BFZ pre-order because they didn't. Definitely more expensive on 'some' cards but generally great.

Associate
Newbie question.

Why do some decks run a dual fetch land with a secondary colour they have no need for when they could just run the colour they are digging for? Is it to cycle and thin the deck thereby reaching the other card(s) you need more quickly?

Last edited:
Associate
Newbie question.

Why do some decks run a dual fetch land with a secondary colour they have no need for when they could just run the colour they are digging for? Is it to cycle and thin the deck thereby reaching the other card(s) you need more quickly?

Yes, exactly that. Plus, you can hold it and see how your draws go, before cracking it, getting a land and shuffling to shake things up. Gives options, instant response to plays etc..

Also, if you're playing delver, for example, you want cards in your graveyard to exile that once used hold no real value.

I'd dearly love some fetches, need to chip away and get hold of a few. The Zendikar ones are through the roof though!! Khans are a little more 'in budget' but, still ridiculous.

Associate
I'm reluctant to invest in a manabase containing Khans because they are so pricey and will be rotated out in April(?). Will Oath contain dual fetch lands? Zendikar didn't contain a B/R Bloodstained Mire replacement. Hopefully Oath will.

Associate
Bear in mind that some dual lands actually have the 'basic' types (e.g. "plains island" for a W/B land like prarie stream.) This means a white/green fetch can get you one of those, thereby giving you white or blue mana for your white blue deck.

Also note that you're limited to 4 of the white/blue fetchlands (only basic lands are unrestricted), the white/green version is pretty much just as good if you're searching for those duals.

Soldato
I'm reluctant to invest in a manabase containing Khans because they are so pricey and will be rotated out in April(?). Will Oath contain dual fetch lands? Zendikar didn't contain a B/R Bloodstained Mire replacement. Hopefully Oath will.

Highly unlikely. I would encourage you to get the fetch lands from Khans as they will hold their value as they're playable in Modern, Legacy, Vintage and casual too.

Please also remember that the expedition foils in Battle for Zendikar are not necessarily playable in standard. The shock lands (Stomping Ground, Overgrown Tomb etc) and the original Zendikar fetches (Scalding Tarn, Misty Rainforest etc) are NOT standard playable.

@NedB, the running of fetches that are only 1 of your colours isn't for deck-thinning. Deck-thinning is such an insignificant effect that paying a life to do so is not worth it (plenty of articles written about this on popular MTG websites).

Associate
Without meaning to sound at all facetious, I'd love to see those articles (trying to read everything/anything I can) so would be interested to see a link (as a starter for ten). Plus any other things you think might be of interest!

Soldato
Foil Expedition best place to sell? The list price is £200, and I can get £120 for it on MMH. Was just going to send it to them, and avoid the hassle of selling on ebay etc?

Dont think anyone at my club would want it as those with the cash to splash already have a couple of them.
are there any other alternatives?

Associate
Foil Expedition best place to sell? The list price is £200, and I can get £120 for it on MMH. Was just going to send it to them, and avoid the hassle of selling on ebay etc?

Dont think anyone at my club would want it as those with the cash to splash already have a couple of them.

Which one? I've heard the price is falling because they were more common than originally thought.

Soldato

Join the Facebook group mtgUK & Ireland MTG Cards For Trade & Sale. It's the big UK network, has a feedback system for buyers and sellers, and prices are pretty much standardised at 50% SCG in £.

Back
Top Bottom