Mahogany/Steel Computerdesk [SCRATCHBUILD] Dreamhack Summer Masters Winner

Associate
OP
Gonna use the fans on the starboard side as exhausts and on the portside as intakes with the 3 extra fans underneath the radiator giving a slight negative pressure. It's a bit of trial and error though so might be switching around the fans a bit. That being said passively things will cool and a tremendous amount of heat is being expelled with the water so I'm not that worried to be fair. Will be interesting to see what kind of temps I'll be getting

Associate
Use of "starboard" and "portside" hints that the build might be somehow inspired by classic riva speedboats, certainly the build reminds me of those beautiful boats with their elegant lines, exquisite wood work and complimentary metal accents:
JTKKJW1.jpg
I love those boats and I love this build.

Associate
OP
Oh yes I've mentioned this in other blogs actually. That's a beautiful aquarama 63 :)

Yeah during my younger years I traveled a lot in northern Italy, Switzerland and France and I was certainly influenced a bit along the way :) Seen quite a few of these boats in the skin

Associate
OP
It is time then. Second to last assembly. This time every single thing will be built into the table with the exception of putting in the water. Then disassembly one final time prep the parts and go to town and hope the end result was worth it.

With that being said here we go.

I just love how nickel plating looks and feels. I had to clean them up a bit with window cleaner but they were looking fantastic in general

hPwYwm5l.jpg
WbJdnb2l.jpg
JvV1pEQl.jpg

Starting from scratch again pretty much :)

1 LEG!

AAv8Yanl.jpg

9RIYSeLl.jpg

Had to change the type of bolt for aesthetic reasons

mGwW2tal.jpg
sb1x679l.jpg

2 legs now and some interior panels :)

xPQoCP9l.jpg

Time for the radiator grills :)
INhhlgPl.jpg

Portside

BmhYuVel.jpg

eStF2oDl.jpg

And Starboard

1vSH3mzl.jpg

Installing the big ones

aZfoXORl.jpg

With the special fasteners

aVMcrG8l.jpg

Also put in a bit of a cheat to make sure they didn't sag at all. Screw wont be visible

xC4ih27l.jpg

Key mechanism installed

sNPI4igl.jpg
bbbazfIl.jpg

Had to cut a hole out of the back panel to feed motherboard cables to the screen etc. This won't be visible either

6IZjfFzl.jpg
xvkWu8Tl.jpg

Painted the reinforcement

WmwZWXgl.jpg

All chromed parts in place

6mBLEQhl.jpg
ZoAATuSl.jpg

7kqEibal.jpg

FmkGStHl.jpg

Key in place as well as the usb/audio plate also that nickel plated. Key as previously made from flaming birch. 5 or 6 layers of 2 component varnish to not stain the wood.

4pRLEm1l.jpg

I like the color scheme

wccej3el.jpg

Monitor back on with the glass

YpHj8MBl.jpg

A lot of photos. Outside is pretty much finished except the wood needs to get that nanosanding done to gloss it up a bit more

pCN7BLXl.jpg

ZSnn0NRl.jpg

aOkQIX8l.jpg

J8Q7AsZl.jpg

d40cIyQl.jpg

BhMdRL3l.jpg

J8Q7AsZl.jpg

SwI1wGzl.jpg

aOkQIX8l.jpg

Short video for your viewing

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Time for a small update. Parts will start to get installed tommorow :)

Anyways let's get going, repainted and extended the black to now have any wood show in bad places from the outside

IVtM2rOl.jpg

We made a part for the ethernet and power cable. This way you can easily connect and disconnect the cables with 4x m8 bolts. Obviously this gets powdercoated too

FySsRqal.jpg

This will hold a lot of weight if need be. No chance of power cable coming loose

HT0w7OJl.jpg

Pumps arrived, remade the stands for them as well. You'll see how they're mounted very soon (Mainframe m7 )

yKy2Utml.jpg

Hinges mounted

tii0GGwl.jpg

Love how it reflects everything :)

8Ysj5Qxl.jpg

Testing the 2 component epoxy glue on some other glass. Supposedly an area of 56 square centimeters should hold 7000kg of tension force.

pHdVyffl.jpg

Protecting the wood and hinges from the glue if we get it wrong and use too much. I recommend this specific frozen pizza package for this ;)

WHLydpUl.jpg

F7Ac8rll.jpg

Wide shot with the hinges in. No picture with the glass glued because i'll let it cure overnight just to make sure

eDk6367l.jpg

Associate
OP
Got the hinges finally glued and glass works :) I gotta say though this was by far the hardest part of the build for us. Like really time consuming and really challenging. Took 3 people to mount this thing and figuring out how to do these hinges was a pain but I'm so happy it's done :)

mYzPLSul.jpg

YuXlRxfl.jpg ¨

This is fully enough so you can reach the components if need be

Ul7LeGNl.jpg

GkXMUuAl.jpg

36avBZfl.jpg

Parts getting installed. The pumps the Psu and the 360 rad are now bolted down. With the first official hardline pipe as well :)

fCRXKdKl.jpg

Bad picture but here's how I'm getting through the wood, There's no joint at all actually :)

3Qv97Nnl.jpg

The pumps.

GQqkLPMl.jpg

Associate
OP
Not a lot left no, just gotta get the waterjet to cut out my pipe strengthener bits and get those powdercoated and final assembly can commence. Here's a small sneakpeak :)

WnrAGByl.jpg

Associate
OP
Finally got cables done. Done a few special ones like feeding the pumps and the fans on the same cable with 5 volts going to the fans and 12 to the pumps, Installing all of these bad boys next week

iQP8vbxl.jpg

There's plenty of future expansionroom. Got myself another row of connectors ;)

xgHrp82l.jpg

OX1iReUl.jpg

The pipes are done as well but they will go out and in one more time so you'll get more pictures after

VAmZBsql.jpg

Actually sleeved the cables outside the pc as well :D

LlfB8Vol.jpg

Associate
Looking amazing but the ocd in me would have smoothed the hinge welds out more before chroming but that is just me as the rest of the build is at such a high level it would niggle

Associate
OP
Looking amazing but the ocd in me would have smoothed the hinge welds out more before chroming but that is just me as the rest of the build is at such a high level it would niggle
Thanks for the feedback! It's a shame you dislike it, I myself would in hindsight have done them differently. That being said they had to be at the chromer a certain date and it was somehow overlooked. I hope there are parts of the build that can still be enjoyed though. I suggest waiting for it's completion and critique it as a whole. I think it will look decent when completed but that's just one mans opinion. When I get to the next deskbuild this tragedy will be fixed.

Back
Top Bottom