Majorca

Associate
Thinking of heading over to Majorca in October for a week of cycling, has anyone been? Any recommendations where to stay?

I'm also not sure if I should rent a bike or take my own, I know my own is set up for me whereas I might have to fart around a bit with a rental

Easyjet want £70 to take my bike I just don't know how much hassle it will be taking it on the plane

Any advice would be appreciated

Soldato
Check out the Cycling Holidays thread ;)

I'm there this year staying in Port Pollensa. Plenty of information in the thread & online and I'll answer what I can in more detail on my lunch :)

Soldato
North of the island is best Port Pollenca or Alcudia.

Hire bikes over there are usually very good. It's probably more expensive than taking your own bike and (as long as you have a decent box to put it in) it's not really much hassle getting your own bike on the plane. The benefit of a hire bike is that if something breaks you can get it sorted quickly. If you take your own bike and snap the gear hanger or something, you might be stuck without a bike for the week.

Soldato
The only thing 'difficult' about traveling with a bike is getting it to/from the airport/hotel.

My box fits nicely in my car and my holiday is a package deal with a coach transfer to/from the Airport/Hotel in Majorca. Adding a bike to the flight with the Airline was £25 each way.

I used Easyjet in June to go to Germany which was as you say £70 and it arrived fine.

If you don't have a box and aren't planning on going away with your bike regularly then hiring a bike out there makes more sense. BikeBox hire is around £60-70 for a week. Plus £70 to add it to your flight. Then any additional cost for transfer.

You can take the more 'niche' spares with you like DR hangers for example. A few companies offer 'rescue' services quite reasonably.

Fergus Pollensa Park Spa and Aparthotel Duva & Spa are both cycle friendly and recommended. The former is opposite Pro Cycle Hire I believe, which happens to be where I and one other forum member who happens to be out there mid October will be staying.

I'd read and comment in the cycling holidays thread as lots of other elements you might be overlooking are also covered.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice, didn't even realise there was a cycling holiday thread

Ploughed through that and have booked my trip to Majorca for first week in October

Is it possible to get hold of any Garmin routes on the web so that I don't get lost while cycling. I've got an Edge 520 so it does basic navigation

Soldato
Goto segment explore on Strava and then have a look at some of the rides from people doing the segments, you might even have some guys you know (on Strava) who've ridden there. Failing that google and search for something like 'best majorca cycle routes'. Ideally you want a list of them showing elevation/distance/difficulty so you know what you're letting yourself in for! ;)

I bet many of the hire shops/hotels would give advice on routes, although that does leave it a little late (unless you're in email communication with them).

Even better if you know which of the climbs you want to do. Reading reviews/training guides like these is a good starting point.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is it possible to get hold of any Garmin routes on the web so that I don't get lost while cycling. I've got an Edge 520 so it does basic navigation

I posted a link very recently in the Holiday thread which has loads of recommended routes and includes Strava files :o

ProCycleHire run regular free group rides. And Majorca Cycle shuttle partner with another provider to offer very reasonable breakdown recovery. Something like 3-4 EUR per day.

(I'm there 3rd week in October.)

Soldato
I can post strava routes out of alcudia. But basically you want to be hitting up sa Calobra, lighthouse, lluc both ways and Puig major as a minimum from the north east of the island

Soldato
A few photos of the route I did this morning up from the old town to the reservoir (Embassament del Gorg blau) near Puig Major from pollenca old town.

IMG_3404.jpg

IMG_3411.jpg

IMG_3422.jpg

IMG_3399.jpg

IMG_3401.jpg

This is BIG scenery territory. No photo can really do this place and route justice.

Soldato
I was there pretty much this time last year. Only got as far as Lluc going into the mountains as I was time limited. Looks great up there!

Soldato
North of the island is best Port Pollenca or Alcudia.

Hire bikes over there are usually very good. It's probably more expensive than taking your own bike and (as long as you have a decent box to put it in) it's not really much hassle getting your own bike on the plane. The benefit of a hire bike is that if something breaks you can get it sorted quickly. If you take your own bike and snap the gear hanger or something, you might be stuck without a bike for the week.

Ive seen quite a few of the hire bikes over the past few days. They seem to be Titanium frames with carbon wheels and I ultegra. Not bad at all!

Can this be merged into the Cycling Holidays thread?
Yea probably. :D:p

I was there pretty much this time last year. Only got as far as Lluc going into the mountains as I was time limited. Looks great up there!
You saw most of it but the top bit was splendid.

Soldato
Yep - it was literally today a year ago apparently... Facebook just reminded me :D

Did the lighthouse ride in the morning then plan was to make way towards Sa Calobra but unlikely to actually get quite that far. Turned around after Col De Femenia.

7ZUpVbkg.jpg

Back
Top Bottom