1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Male and Female He Created Them: Towards a Path of Dialogue on the Question of Gender in Education

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NVP, Jun 12, 2019.

1. G-MAN2004

Caporegime

Facts.

2. bloodiedathame

Soldato

I'm sure Zeus will have something to say about this.

3. NVP

Mobster

Where am I saying that? Keep making leaps froggy, randomshenans will be along for a munch.
    This feels like a pointless, never-ending route to go down so instead I will just sit back, relax and...
    [​IMG]

4. ttaskmaster

Sgarrista

I'm guessing you're not an engineer, or anything, then?
    Use the right language, or your reality will not turn out as you expected!! ;)

A hacker used to cut wood. A dancer used to maintain railway tracks. Hussy used to mean housewife.
    The labels are fine.
    The identities keep changing... and people keep making up new words to describe it, which is ******** since there are plenty of existing words that are good enough, as well as many funky obsolete ones they could recycle instead - Why can't you have a mate who's a bit of a Fubsy, or have a campaign for agrestic rights, or just accept the fact that you're a quockerwodger?

No, you're a brunophile.

Couturephobic.

5. Hodders

Mobster

Lol, graduated with a degree in electronic engineering.

The crux of my point is that language needs to evolve as flaws in it are found. The inadequacies of language is why engineering uses maths and drawings to do the bits that have to be unambiguous.

6. Minusorange

Mobster

Thank god TimeTeam was ended before all this nonsense started becoming mainstream, I'd hate to imagine week long episodes dedicated to arguments over whether the bones they've dug up belonged to a male or female :)

7. MadMossy

Soldato

The language, the terminology used to distinguish male and female is perfectly adequate. From a scientific angle there are only 2 genders, male and female. Intersex is a biological anomaly but that person will still have certain traits that are stronger than others.

As an electronic engineer your world is defined as either on or off, binary 1's and 0's, there is no in between.

8. Hodders

Mobster

You're imposing labels on me

I might be an analogue electronics engineer

9. MadMossy

Soldato

More power to you if your analogue electronics engineer, not many of them about. Still doesn't alter the fact that there are only 2 sex's. Find me any peer reviewed scientific evidence by a recognised scientist, to say otherwise and I'll gladly read it.

10. Orionaut

Soldato

Re-quoted for truth!

And This!

I am not going to be wanting to go out of my way to be hostile to deluded people, But at the same time, I am not going to regard a Man in a dress as a Woman any more than I am going to treat a Man (Or Woman) in a Napoleon uniform as L'Empereur!

And I really do not see why I should be under any legal obligation to do so! :mad:

11. ttaskmaster

Sgarrista

Many of my project managers have degrees in engineering... but they're not engineers, they're project managers. Mainly because engineering courses gave better tuition in project management than the dedicated PM courses.

However, a nut is still a nut.
    It's not a bolt head, or a bottle cap, or a screw, or a hex fastener, or any other term you might find people using for it. It has a specific term for a specific reason and it's not my problem if people don't use the right word for it.

Language has never been inaccurate. Peoples' understanding and incompetencies with it, as well as their understanding of their world, is what creates the ambiguity. We even have dictionaries to explain precisely what each word means, so there's no excuse!

12. Hellsmk2

Mobster

He also has a plan that negates our free will.

13. NVP

Mobster

That's a dick move.

14. ttaskmaster

Sgarrista

So is beeping your horn and flashing your lights to make the car in front move aside, which is why you should never do it when being chased by angry gun-wielding people trying to kill you..... I saw that in a movie, so it must be true!!

But then, flooding the world because you gave people free will and didn't like what they did with it is also a dick move...!

15. Schlong&Stable

Mobster

Gender is not real. There is biological sex. That's it!

The modern concept of gender originates with a paedophile doctor who abused little boys.