Malwarebytes seemed to have detected TotalAV as a threat

Associate
So recently I got worries that I had installed a trojan onto my PC and I've been running Windows security and Malwarebytes over and over again. They discovered no threats for a long period of time, until I installed the free version of TotalAV and ran a system check on it, just to be sure. Then suddenly Windows Security discovered, what it described as a major threat, and Malwarebytes discovered almost 500 threats when I did a quick scan. I panicked and told Malwarebytes to delete all the malicious files before looking at them which it needed to restart to do, and when my PC started up again TotalAV had been uninstalled. I did another quick scan with Malwarebytes and saw 6 malicious files and they were all from TotalAV within what remained of the files. I have since deleted all the files and Malwarebytes is saying everything's good.

What on earth was this about? Do multiple antivirus softwares not work well with eachother? Did I install a fake TotalAV? I installed from this link: https://www.totalav.com/en/free-antivirus

Associate
OP
Caporegime
Ah OK, never heard of the the top two, and I wouldn't trust a source that recommends Norton or McAfee personally. I tend to skip any Google results which say "ad" next to them.

Yes Malwarebytes is fine. :)

As for free AV, I'd use Panda, Avira, Avast, Kaspersky Free, Sophos Free, AVG, etc. Take your pick.

I personally use Sophos free because I can easily monitor several machines from the console.

Associate
OP
Ah OK, never heard of the the top two, and I wouldn't trust a source that recommends Norton or McAfee personally. I tend to skip any Google results which say "ad" next to them.

Yes Malwarebytes is fine. :)

As for free AV, I'd use Panda, Avira, Avast, Kaspersky Free, Sophos Free, AVG, etc. Take your pick.

I personally use Sophos free because I can easily monitor several machines from the console.

Thank you for your help. I apologise for my ignorance in the matter, but is Malwarebytes not a free antivirus software? I was under the impression it was. May I also ask why you don't trust Norton or McAfee?

Caporegime
Thank you for your help. I apologise for my ignorance in the matter, but is Malwarebytes not a free antivirus software? I was under the impression it was. May I also ask why you don't trust Norton or McAfee?

Maybe it has changed now, but Malwarebytes never used to have real time protection, it was always just a tool to scan and remove things.

If it has real time protection then use that by all means :)

It's not that I don't trust Norton and McAfee, it's that they usually aren't as good as free alternatives, and you have to pay for them.

Edit: it seems only the paid version of Malwarebytes is a fully fledged antivirus.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Maybe it has changed now, but Malwarebytes never used to have real time protection, it was always just a tool to scan and remove things.

If it has real time protection then use that by all means :)

It's not that I don't trust Norton and McAfee, it's that they usually aren't as good as free alternatives, and you have to pay for them.

Edit: it seems only the paid version of Malwarebytes is a fully fledged antivirus.

Thank you once again.

Soldato
being on a random website saying its legit doesnt make it so...trust malwarebytes on this....avoid totalav.

umm av-comparatives is not some random website, they're an ISO accredited independant company. They are the people to go to for AV testing. Just because you havent heard of them doesnt make it any less valid ...

and LOL if you've never had a false positive with malwarebytes before.

Last edited:
Soldato
umm av-comparatives is not some random website, they're an ISO accredited independant company. They are the people to go to for AV testing. Just because you havent heard of them doesnt make it any less valid ...

and LOL if you've never had a false positive with malwarebytes before.

okay fair enough I didn't know that.....but still not convinced...please install and test for us :)

only joking :)

Soldato
okay fair enough I didn't know that.....but still not convinced...please install and test for us :)

only joking :)

I just did :). Well, i scanned the install exe. The malware detected is pup.optional.totalav.

From malwarebytes:
Type and source of infection
PUP.Optional.TotalAV is a potentially unwanted program marketed as a system optimizer. These so-called “system optimizers” use exaggerated scan results or sometimes even intentional false positives to convince users that their systems have problems. Then they try to sell you their software, claiming it will remove these problems.

So yeah. Crappy practice that we've seen from other vendors before, but not any type of malware that's going to spy on you, steal information etc.

I still wouldnt use it myself, just based on the performance. Why bother when others do better?

Top Tier:

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I just did :). Well, i scanned the install exe. The malware detected is pup.optional.totalav.

From malwarebytes:

So yeah. Crappy practice that we've seen from other vendors before, but not any type of malware that's going to spy on you, steal information etc.

I still wouldnt use it myself, just based on the performance. Why bother when others do better?

Top Tier:

Hmm think I will give BitDefender a shot having read the latest AVC performance and malware reports. Microsoft's system impact seems quite noticeable.

Back
Top Bottom