Manchester Crane Fail

Hahaha, this looks like the day the people who are digging up the road out side a friends round the corner and managed to drive a digger into the hole they just dug.... :D

Might try to get the photos....

I have better ones than that.

Not sure if i should post them though. While installing a new circuit breaker in a 275kv substation, we had a crane fall over. Took out half the busbar section. The boom went through one of the smaller lifting platforms. How nobody died is a miracle.

Last edited:
Looks like he was a bit to close to the edge of that embankment there and it might not have been as solid as it seemed when the stabilising feet were extended on the side it fell down on.

Glad nobody was hurt.

I've seen cranes a lot bigger than this fall in the years I worked at the Ardersier oil yard, including one called Nessie that was apparently the biggest mobile land crane in the world at the time. We pulled the crane operator out of his cab and he was just a gibbering wreck, but unhurt physically.

Came on shift to see the big Weldex cranes had come down on the previous shift twice as well.

At the height of production in the busy years we had two Lampson cranes, the same as the Big Blue crane involved in this famous accident. They never fell, but a massive brace one was lifting did fall 200ft and killed two guys about 1992 ish.

I remember once in work I was just finishing and was in the back talking to someone when someone else dropped a tray and made a mess everywhere.
there were 4 of us stood there at the time and the other 3 pulled out their phones and started taking pics while I went off to get a brush to help clean up the mess.

The OP should have been there helping out not taking bloody pictures!!!!!! :)

On a more serious note though im glad that no one was hurt

I know Oxford Road fairly well from being at Uni near Manchester for several years. Not entirely sure if I know that bit of Manchester though. Having looked at the Google Maps link I don't know that exact area but I've been through Oxford Road station so very close to the scene.
Extreme fishing always has its dangers
Haha. :D

No **** Sherlock :p
There is a lot of fail in the World today, Great pics :cool:
Ooh! A guess the missing word competition! :p

Obvious what has happened, the big crane thought it could take on the little machine that says "hurt" on it, the rest is simple.

That was on Oxford road. If the crain has falled the other way blocking the road - it would have blocked off the busiest bus route in europe!

Almost all busses serving south manchester come down oxford road. This is so loony anyway as it makes the road so congested and most of the time takes 40 mins to travel 2 miles on that road.

Back
Top Bottom