Married and trying to find form for wife to stay in the UK

Soldato
You need FLR (M) form

Further leave to remain form which will be ~£700. This will give her 2 years then after this, she needs to apply for SET (M) [~£1250 but will be much more in a couple of years time. Also need to pass LitUK - Life in the UK test]. Fees quoted are for applying personally rather thaN POSTAL. SET (M) is Settlement (aka ILR Indefinite Leave to remain).

Jay

Jay

Associate
I think some of the post's are light hearted jokes (all good as long as the OP does not take offence) although some comments come across as 'Daily Star' reader style. Unpleasant, and a step too far IMO.

Good Luck with the application Seasaw.

Associate
OP
I think some of the post's are light hearted jokes (all good as long as the OP does not take offence) although some comments come across as 'Daily Star' reader style. Unpleasant, and a step too far IMO.

Good Luck with the application Seasaw.

Thank you, we are at the moment both trying some mock examinations, I say I am because everyone loves internet multiple choice exams. She thought it was funny that I failed first time on a mock exam. I am going to print out the chapters that she needs and she is going to hunker down for a week to learn the stuff.

How many people know how many pakistani people are living in the uk without looking it up.

Gog

Gog

Associate
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/p...mmigrationrules/part8/spouses_civil_partners/

Immigration Rules said:
Requirements for an extension of stay as the spouse or civil partner of a person present and settled in the United Kingdom

284. The requirements for an extension of stay as the spouse or civil partner of a person present and settled in the United Kingdom are that:

(i) the applicant has limited leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom which was given in accordance with any of the provisions of these Rules, other than where as a result of that leave he would not have been in the United Kingdom beyond 6 months from the date on which he was admitted to the United Kingdom on this occasion in accordance with these Rules, unless the leave in question is limited leave to enter as a fiance or proposed civil partner or unless the leave in question was granted to the applicant as the spouse, civil partner, unmarried or same-sex partner of a Tier 1 Migrant and that spouse or partner is the same person in relation to whom the applicant is applying for an extension of stay under this rule; and

(ii) is married to or the civil partner of a person present and settled in the United Kingdom; and

(iii) the parties to the marriage or civil partnership have met; and

(iv) the applicant has not remained in breach of the immigration laws; and

(v) the marriage or civil partnership has not taken place after a decision has been made to deport the applicant or he has been recommended for deportation or been given notice under Section 6(2) of the Immigration Act 1971 or been given directions for his removal under section 10 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999; and

(vi) each of the parties intends to live permanently with the other as his or her spouse or civil partner and the marriage or civil partnership is subsisting; and

(vii) there will be adequate accommodation for the parties and any dependants without recourse to public funds in accommodation which they own or occupy exclusively; and

(viii) the parties will be able to maintain themselves and any dependants adequately without recourse to public funds; and

(ix)(a) the applicant provides an original English language test certificate in speaking and listening from an English language test provider approved by the Secretary of State for these purposes, which clearly shows the applicant's name and the qualification obtained (which must meet or exceed level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference) unless:

(i) the applicant is aged 65 or over at the time he makes his application; or

(ii) the Secretary of State considers that the applicant has a physical or mental condition that would prevent him from meeting the requirement; or;

(iii) the Secretary of State considers there are exceptional compassionate circumstances that would prevent the applicant from meeting the requirement; or

(ix)(b) the applicant is a national of one of the following countries: Antigua and Barbuda; Australia; the Bahamas; Barbados; Belize; Canada; Dominica; Grenada; Guyana; Jamaica; New Zealand; St Kitts and Nevis; St Lucia; St Vincent and the Grenadines; Trinidad and Tobago; United States of America; or

(ix)(c) the applicant has obtained an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification), which is deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor's degree in the UK, from an educational establishment in one of the following countries: Antigua and Barbuda; Australia; The Bahamas; Barbados; Belize; Dominica; Grenada; Guyana; Ireland; Jamaica; New Zealand; St Kitts and Nevis; St Lucia; St Vincent and The Grenadines; Trinidad and Tobago; the UK; the USA; and provides the specified documents; or

(ix)(d) the applicant has obtained an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification) which is deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor's degree in the UK, and

(1) provides the specified evidence to show he has the qualification, and

(2) UK NARIC has confirmed that the degree was taught or researched in English, or

(ix)(e) has obtained an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification) which is deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor's degree in the UK, and provides the specified evidence to show:

(1) he has the qualification, and

(2) that the qualification was taught or researched in English.

As said before, use form FLR(M). She won't qualify for ILR as a spouse yet. Plenty of evidence of cohabitation and available funds. Make sure you apply before the visa expires! If you want a legal advisor make sure they are qualified in immigration law or in the case of a consultant registered with the OISC.

Soldato
We got Indefinite leave to remain for my wife and it cost about £900. If you've been married for less than 2 years there is a possibility they will give her a 2 year visa and you'll have to reapply.

Don't assume that your marriage entitles you to anything, they have no obligations to give her permanent residency so do your homework and make sure your documentation is watertight otherwise you'll be spending more time apart than you'd like. If her current visa is expiring and you don't have documentation that you've lived together as a couple for at least 2 years then that will certainly make it a little bit harder for you.

Last edited:
Soldato
ILR (indefinite leave to remain) does cost £900 has gone up a lot in the last few years. You may need to go spousal visa first and after an appropriate amount of time on that visa type apply for an ILR visa

You want to apply for a 2 year 'leave to remain' visa.
After the 2 years are up, you will then apply for 'indefinite leave to remain' visa.
This i what we did.

For the 2 year leave to remain visa, there is considerable documentation you must submit, and the application process can take up to 14 weeks. You submit your marriage cert, your original passport, her current passport, financial informations, etc.

The english cert may be required also now (unsure, wasn't when we did it), but it becomes essential for the second visa, the IDR one.

The form you are looking for is around £900 iirc.
It will be similar for IDR in 2 years time.

Soldato
My friend was married to a Turkish girl - he worked his socks off to get her a visa (he moved to Turkey after meeting her on Facebook) and after two years she finally got permission to move and live here.

Two weeks later, they split up. No prizes for guessing where the Turkish girl is now. (clue: it's not Turkey)

edit: I didn't even properly read the first post but I am actually quite bemused by the fact your wife is Turkish too :D

Associate
flr

Its FLR(M) if your married already - just went through it myself so feel free to hassle me if you get stuck anywhere.

We did a same day shebang at the Glasgow office.

Back
Top Bottom