Massive Car insurance costs?

Associate
I'm with esure for my Saab 9-5 Aero. My renewal has gone up from £157.38 (annual) last year to £166.30 this year. A 5.67% increase. I'll shop around but I think eSure will be cheapest. I can also use TopCashback to go through GoCompare and get £36 cashback.

After cashback, I've paid:
2022: £145.71
2023: £121.38
2024: £130.30 (or less)

Soldato
I' ve had a few quotes lately on a few new cars and i thought the quotes were pretty good considering they are pretty powerful and worth 4 times my current car
I'm not convinced value makes much difference tbh. When I've done quotes in past years it made no difference whether it was a cheap or expensive car, think a quote for an aventaor was about 600 quid compared to my 911 (996) at the same time which was maybe 100 quid less.

Soldato
sometimes I think the person in the insurance office has a giant wheel of fortune that they just spin each time they talk to someone. I know roughly how their metrics work but at least on the surface of it it seems a bit bonkers.......

Don
I always protect my NCB. I don't think it costs that much does it (or maybe it's just because I am old it doesn't cost much)

Probably doesn't cost that much, but depends entirely on your insurer and how many years no claims you have as to whether it's worth it.

Personally I've never bothered, as once you are into 7/8/9+ years no claims, then the difference for the extra year is 1% premium reduction anyway, and even making a claim normally only reduces your NCD by 2 years.

Protecting your NCD is more important imo if you have the option to protect at 3 years NCD and are in a higher insurance risk group (e.g. young person + sports car), whereby dropping to 1 year NCD may actually make the car uninsurable.

Soldato
Talking to a chap yesterday, his wife was quoted £6k to insure their Range Rover, and when informed she had 3 points refused to insure her at all.
She's still ok for insurance on their 911 though!

Man of Honour
Had to make some changes on my policy today and dropped the mileage down on one of my vehicles as I'm not using it as much as I used to, expecting to get bent over as I was dropping it from what is generally a fairly favourable number to a not so favourable number, surprisingly (and the advisor was a bit surprised as well) it dropped the cost by 10%.

Soldato
Well I had an email today from LV (my current car insurer) which I expected to contain a renewal quote, but it didn't..

It was a long explanation about how insurance costs have risen, and they'll be sending me a renewal price in a few days!

So they're clearly lubing me up for a big hit :(

Man of Honour
Well I had an email today from LV (my current car insurer) which I expected to contain a renewal quote, but it didn't..

It was a long explanation about how insurance costs have risen, and they'll be sending me a renewal price in a few days!

Tell them to stop sending pointless letters and then maybe the costs will be lower!

Man of Honour

Or for the "sorry we cannot offer a renewal price this year"

Soldato
Renewal quote came through today, it's increased from £272 to £371, fully comp with protected no claims and windscreen cover, no legal cover or other extras. £300 total excess.

An online comparison site shows my current insurer as the cheapest, quoting £353 for the same cover. It's good to see that the renewal quote does closely align with their new business quote, so they're abiding by that new ruling made a couple of years ago not to shaft renewing customers.

I made a small change to the predicted annual mileage and for some reason the current insurer stopped quoting, even when I put the mileage back as it was before.

It's a 50% increase which is a bummer, but it looks like I'll be renewing with them.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
£28 increase on my renewal on an RS3.

I’ll have a look around but given the current madness that doesn’t seem so bad.

Soldato
£211 last year with bank Of Scotland for my old Kia Sportage. Changed in July to Toyota Yaris Hybrid for which no additional premium levied.
Renewal arrived this morning, wanting £599! No change in circumstances other than me being a year older, no claims (I even paid for a windscreen chip repair out of my own pocket). Phoned them up and lowest they would go is £520.
Said good day and off to the comparison sites. Cheapest there still £380 with unheard of companies. Eventually settled for £435 with Churchill, but christ how can BOS justify a near 200% increase?

I know repair costs and uninsured driver claims have gone up and EV's (and presumably Hybrids) are harder to repair due to battery fire risks plus a bit of inflation but really. Daylight robbery.

If it wasn't for the bit of freedom owning a car offers I would sell the thing and just use the bus, train or foot/bike to get around and only hire one for a few days when really needed.

Associate
£28 increase on my renewal on an RS3.

I’ll have a look around but given the current madness that doesn’t seem so bad.

Not sure if you're missing a zero from that price increase or not? :p

A £28 increase is pretty damn great in these circumstances!

Back
Top Bottom