Matte vs Glossy Screens Which Is Better

Associate
This is only personal experience really but I find that Glossy screens have better colours but they pick up and reflect light like mad.

Matte screens are a bit duller but they dont reflect the light as badly.

Soldato
Glossy screens are a way to make cheap screens have better contrast and saturation. You want matte if you gonna use it in varied environments, especially outside.

Laptop screens generally suck. You can see most manufacturers cut corners on the displays. That's one thing I'm really disappointed with the new laptops, even premium ones. Poor viewing angles and reflective screens are my main pet hates.

Associate
OP
Got a matte screen replacement for my XPS 17 , so much better for viewing then my glossy screen , i can see the whole screen without moving it now . Thanks Dell

Associate
its personal preference.

i far far prefer glossy. have it on my samsung and had it on my m17x r3 laptop. great for nice colours and superior to an equivalent matt screen.

but then they are impossible to use outside, and can get annoying with bright lights around.

id still go glossy, but personal pref.

Soldato
I know this is an old thread but I'm about to buy a new Clevo laptop and I really cannot decide. My current monitor has a glossy screen and I love it, wouldn't change it for anything, but I do use it in a fairly dark room. I doubt my laptop will be used outside (but you never know). Also, I'm moving soon so I don't know what kind of light will be in the place I end up living.

I'm guessing matte would be a safer option, but I was pretty much 99% on glossy before.

EDIT: Sod it, I'm going glossy, I like my current screen's glossy finish so I've made my mind up :) Sorry for bumping an old thread.

Last edited:
Soldato
My Alienware M17x has a glossy screen and the colours are very vibrant and look amazing. My 24" Asus is a matte screen and I never seem to get the same vibrant look as the Alienware, but then the sun comes through the window and I then realise why matte is so much better in direct sunlight..

Personally for me, I don't mind but some do. I think if you prefer glossy then you've made the right choice. and glossy is soooo much easier to clean. I've never managed to clean a matte display without it looking like its been cleaned if you get what I mean. Glossy marks just wipe off, so much easier..

there as a debate that glossy was cheaper to produce etc etc...

Soldato
I think glossy gives a better image, but at the same time glare.
Having said that the glare on the M17X is ridiculous, I can't play with a window behind my back, someone else mentioned they could use it as a mirror in the alienware thread, can completely see why!

Have got matte on my netbook, I think the look and feel of it is great!

Associate
Glossy it is. I've been on the verge of ordering for a couple of days and I THINK I'm ready now, haha :)

good choice. As long as no lights directly behind, you'll get higher contrast, better blacks. So just move any lights to the side.

whereas with matte, even if the lights are to the side, the screen disperses the light in all directions, reducing contrast.

Soldato
I have Matt, 95% gamut on my Clevo. IMO far better than any gloss screen I have seen on a laptop.

^ This

I swapped out the glossy, for an AUO 95% gamut matt screen, and wow what an improvement! I can use the screen at any angle with or without the lights on. Will never go back.

No more head bobbing, finding a dark corner etc.. or piddling about with screen angles like you have to with a glossy..

My advice, is if you dont have the option of a 95% gamut matt screen when placing the order then go for the cheapest screen option available and then swap it out at a later date.

Do a bit of research, into what the best screen is for your laptop, and which version and then find a reputable seller, that sells the exact screen you want, and NOT a 'compatable'.

Mine is an 15.6" AUO B156HW01 V.4

But finding a seller selling a genuine one could be tricky, oh and dont fall into the trap of thinking a later version is always better, as an example, the V4 is the version to go for on the screen above.

Mick

Back
Top Bottom