Mattresses - I need knowledge

Associate
as per the title we bought a new matress last year, but already there are compressed hollows where we sleep. We do rotate the matress often but is this usual or not?

The matress is pocket sprung with a layer of latex, its still comfy but a little annoying

Soldato
Check to see the springs aren't poking through the slats when you sit on the bed, that's if you have a bedstead. If they are then go buy yourself a sheet of pegboard/hardboard and place it over the slats and place the mattress on top.

Associate
OP
Its a decent quality mattress with sprung slats underneath. Doesn't smell, it may well return to normal after a couple of weeks but they are very evident and it's like climbing into a pre-made hollow, not quite how it was when we bought it.

Soldato
You should rotate it though.

As for the 'none turn' thing, that's a load of marketing rubbish, and I would avoid buying any mattress that states this. The reason why you turn a mattress over every few weeks, is to make it last longer. A none turn mattress won't last as long as a double sided mattress.

None turn is basically the manufacturer lowering its production costs, meaning you get less for your money i.e. Quality, but still pay the premium.

Soldato
Guys ,

We have just orders a new bed but need a mattress , after being bamboozled by a sales guys at Bensons for Bed with how I need to spend £1700 on a Tempur mattress I'm am very confused .

I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for in life but I never thoughts purchasing a mattress would be so much hassle , how and where do I found out what is a good mattress or if I am being ripped off .

Oh forgot to say - We had a budget of around £600 tops for a king size mattress.

Soldato
I just bought a mattress and bed from IKEA. Mattress is superb, HYLLESTAD
Pocket sprung mattress, firm. Layer of memory foam on the top. So comfy, 90 day swap/money back guarantee and a 25 year guarantee on the matteress. Cost my around £400 delivered i think.

Whilst I do agree with paying for what you get - £1700 on a mattress seems mental.

Soldato
I just bought a mattress and bed from IKEA. Mattress is superb, HYLLESTAD
Pocket sprung mattress, firm. Layer of memory foam on the top. So comfy, 90 day swap/money back guarantee and a 25 year guarantee on the matteress. Cost my around £400 delivered i think.

Whilst I do agree with paying for what you get - £1700 on a mattress seems mental.

That's a £250 mattress, is non-turnable and it doesn't even say how many springs it contains? :confused:. I'd look forward to some uncomfortable nights if I were you.

Man of Honour
If you want to spend some good money on a good mattress then a decent brand pocket sprung is a must and a memory foam layer while subject to taste is something many people go for. You shouldn't need to spend anything like £1700.

That's a £250 mattress, is non-turnable and it doesn't even say how many springs it contains? :confused:. I'd look forward to some uncomfortable nights if I were you.

It will probably be ok and a long sight better than your average cheapy mattress, sure you can do better but it should be comfortable enough - its probably fairly similiar to what I sleep on which gives a reasonable nights sleep.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had a mattress past it's best, tried a memory foam topper on it and it made it worse as I was so hot and couldn't sleep. So based on this I avoided memory foam and heard similar off other people. I like a cold room to snuggle into. A decent pocket-sprung one with amount of springs is what makes me sleep well.

Associate
Pocket sprung with a latex topper is what i ended up with. The best advice i can give you dont get drawn in by price visit a couple of shops try out loads and buy the one you feel most comfortable with as your going to spend a lot of your life using it.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom