Maxtor 160Gb Sata - Problems!

Associate
Hope if got the right forum - this is a technical query........

I've got two Maxtor 160gb sata drives in my pc (had for just over a year now) and recently I've been having problems with them.

Sometimes, with no pattern, when I go to the drives either saving or opening a file windows says that the file I'm opening or saving (or the location) has become currupt and all data on the drive becomes no longer visable in windows.......... a few seconds later the whole system freezes. When I reboot windows fails to load, until I turn the PC off then start again and its fine.

When the problem happends, I lose all visability of files on the drive (its happened on both drives now) but when I reboot everything is there.

Is this hard drive issue or could it be the motherboard playing up? anyone else experianced this?

Cheers,
Dan

Do you have SpeedFan 4.28 or any program that can run S.M.A.R.T (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology)? It should tell you the hard disks 'fitness'.

I'm very keen on this thread cos I also have a Maxtor 160GB SATA hard disk, 6B160M0 to be precise. From SpeedFan's S.M.A.R.T tab, Fitness and Performance bars are full meaning perfect. But I’ve also just had mine for almost a year & lately I’ve noticed its noisy & chkdsk keeps finding errors.

The only fan speed software i have is the Asus Probe software that came with my motherbaord, but I dont use it.

I've just lots Drive D which is a partition of my windows harddrive. Windows does not recorgnise the drive at all now...... whats going on? have i just lost everything on my D drive??? arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggg :mad:

Any way I can recover this data?

You can get SpeedFan here, tis free :)

But I think things might be dire for you. What I suggest is you get another hard disk (borrow if you have to) & backup your important stuff before the whole drive goes taking everything!

My Maxtor did this... woke up one morning to find a partition had vanished into magnetic oblivion. No warning at all. I was lucky in that the partition was virtually empty.

You have been given a warning which is not something everyone gets. I would whole heartedly recommend getting another HDD and getting stuff backed up pronto.

SiriusB

Trust it to be the one drive I haven't back up fully yet........... with all my mp3's on :(

Oh well! What I dont understand is though, both drives have been playing up!

If you got them at the same time they both could have come from the same dodgy batch [which is most of them where Maxtor is concerned :p], alternatively they both could have been damaged during delivery - again if you got them at the same time. Third theory is something has happened to them both while you have had them - nasty shock while in use, power failure, power surge from iffy PSU... fourth theory is that Maxtors are basically crap :)

SiriusB

FYI... There are issues with certain Maxtor models / firmware versions.

Please review the following from their website to see if your drive is affected:
Maxtor SATA II Drives and nVidia nForce Compatibility

I have a Asus A8N-E nForce4 with 2x 6Y160M0 160Gb SATA1's (Purchased over 1yr), and 1x 6L300S0 300Gb SATA2 (purchased Dec 2005).
The only drive affected is the newer one, and it is on Maxtor's list.

The "disappearing drive" trick has happened on occasions, but I got unlucky and had some data corruption whilst in Windows XP recently which has caused me no end of problems. This prompted me to hunt for drives issues.

I've emailed Maxtor support for my Firmware update 2 days ago, and haven't heard anything yet (surprise surprise!).

Ho hum :(

Back
Top Bottom