Maxtor Problem

Gav

Gav

Associate
I got a hold of a Maxtor 6300f0 DiamondMax 10 300gb Sata3.0Gb drive to use as a files store on my main pc:

P4 3.0
Abit IC7-Max3
2GB PC3200

All was going fine, the computer booted up, found the new drive etc. I went into administrative tools>computer management>disk management and set up the drive, formatted it and proceeded to move about 10 gb of files over from my existing drives. All was going fine... Then

I did a reboot and the computer went into a cycle of shutting down then restarting. It did it about 5 times before i did an F8 and went into safemode.

Now the only way to get the computer to start is to unplug the drive. It then boots up into windows fine. Otherwise i have to leave it connected and go into safe mode.

Any ideas?

Gav

Gav

Associate
OP
Also found out that if i boot into safe mode and disable the Silicon Image 3114, which the drive is connected to, the coputer will boot fine. I can then go into device manager and activate the 3114 and then go into administrative tools>computer management>disk management and re-activate the drive. Now its all working fine.

Until i reboot when i have to do the same thing again.

:confused:

Associate
drive wont work correctly on intel ich5 because of NCQ, but it should work ok on silicon image, nothing you can do but get a newer motherboard

i had the p4c800 deluxe had problems with NCQ drives on the intel chipset
they worked for a couple of weeks then i would loose drive contents.

Associate
they should work on Silicon Image 3114 as this controller doesnt enable
ncq, i could get NCQ drives to work on my asus p4c800 e deluxe only on the promise controller wich is basicly the same as your Silicon Image.

Back
Top Bottom