Maybe I'm a noob but I didn't know this about refresh rates

Soldato
I recently build a new PC, and I bought a new 144hz 1440p monitor, but due to delays on getting a 5000 series AMD CPU I was using the new monitor on my old build.

I didn't take notice of the FPS too much, was getting around 72fps average in PUBG (yes some on you will have clocked what I'm going to say just from this lol), anyway my old monitor was 60hz, so I figured that was just more or less what my old PC could run PUBG at uncapped past 60.

New build done, all be it same graphics card ported over, run PUBG, getting about 72 FPS, figure, well...... Same GPU some settings, probably was capped by GPU anyway, so didn't think much more of it.

Letting my nearly 3 year old mess about on Rocket League watching him play, Hmmmmmm also 72fps...... Now I'm thinking, that's wierd, surely even at 1440p, my brand new 5800x CPU and 1070 graphics card should be pushing more frames then that........

Quickle google, I would have never known...... In the Nvidia settings, in v-sync there are several options, apparently, with v-sync "on" it caps your FPS to 72 (half of 144 doh!) If it can't constantly hit 144. I set it to "fast" loaded Rocket League back up and boom 144fps, almost solid, no tearing.

Result!

Can't wait to get back on PUBG and give it a spin.

Man of Honour
The fast setting by the way works by letting the GPU run as quickly as it can but only selecting the nearest complete frame to the needed point in time for rendering - which in some cases can result in duplicate frames rendered and/or slight stutter at times but removes tearing while having lower average latency than V-Sync on.

Caporegime
Ohhh yeah baby, 100 fps in PUBG 1440p. Not bad I dont think for a 4 year old GPU. I can definately wait now for 3080's to settle down a bit in price/stock.

Forget about FPS in pubg the GPU makes very little difference it's just a horrific game with next to zero optimisation.

I went through about 5 different gpu on it and it literally made next to no difference. You get a tiny boost not worth spending hundreds of pounds on for that game.

My mate ran it using dual 1080ti in sli and he still got horrific fps.

If that's the only game you play don't bother buying a new gpu for it.

Forget about FPS in pubg the GPU makes very little difference it's just a horrific game with next to zero optimisation.

I went through about 5 different gpu on it and it literally made next to no difference. You get a tiny boost not worth spending hundreds of pounds on for that game.

Agree, I went from a 980 to a 1080ti and noticed next to nothing, however upgrading from a 4790k to a 10700k yielded big fps gains in Pubg, shame it's a steaming pile of turd now though, I miss the golden days of Pubg.

Soldato
I recently build a new PC, and I bought a new 144hz 1440p monitor, but due to delays on getting a 5000 series AMD CPU I was using the new monitor on my old build.

I didn't take notice of the FPS too much, was getting around 72fps average in PUBG (yes some on you will have clocked what I'm going to say just from this lol), anyway my old monitor was 60hz, so I figured that was just more or less what my old PC could run PUBG at uncapped past 60.

New build done, all be it same graphics card ported over, run PUBG, getting about 72 FPS, figure, well...... Same GPU some settings, probably was capped by GPU anyway, so didn't think much more of it.

Letting my nearly 3 year old mess about on Rocket League watching him play, Hmmmmmm also 72fps...... Now I'm thinking, that's wierd, surely even at 1440p, my brand new 5800x CPU and 1070 graphics card should be pushing more frames then that........

Quickle google, I would have never known...... In the Nvidia settings, in v-sync there are several options, apparently, with v-sync "on" it caps your FPS to 72 (half of 144 doh!) If it can't constantly hit 144. I set it to "fast" loaded Rocket League back up and boom 144fps, almost solid, no tearing.

Result!

Can't wait to get back on PUBG and give it a spin.

I dont think thats quite true correct me if I`m wrong. Setting vsync on in the Nvidia Control panel caps the fps to the same number as your refresh rate of the monitor.
The OP does sound more like what ic1male said.

(Also do not get confused with hz and fps they are not quite the same)

So my monitor is 75hz if I turn vsync on in the control panel it maxes games if possible at 75fps, turn it off and it runs as much as the GPU allows. If your theory is correct then my FPS should be 37/38fps but its not its 75fps.
Also you didnt say whether your monitor was a Gsync one or not as this can have a bearing on your FPS and the settings you use. Plus do you set vsync on in games too?

Soldato
OP
I dont think thats quite true correct me if I`m wrong. Setting vsync on in the Nvidia Control panel caps the fps to the same number as your refresh rate of the monitor.
The OP does sound more like what ic1male said.

(Also do not get confused with hz and fps they are not quite the same)

So my monitor is 75hz if I turn vsync on in the control panel it maxes games if possible at 75fps, turn it off and it runs as much as the GPU allows. If your theory is correct then my FPS should be 37/38fps but its not its 75fps.
Also you didnt say whether your monitor was a Gsync one or not as this can have a bearing on your FPS and the settings you use. Plus do you set vsync on in games too?

Freesync monitor. Yes I do set v-sync in games also.

It definitely wasn't set to adaptive either, just to to "on" yet was capping my frame rate in half.

Soldato
Freesync monitor. Yes I do set v-sync in games also.

Have look to see if you have got a gsync setting in Control Panel the monitor might be g-sync compatible.

Ideally you should not use the in game vsync setting to on if you are using the vsync setting in Nvidia Control panel as it can cause conflict or strange things to happen. I have a feeling this was your issue because setting it to fast is like having vsync off. Use either the in game one or the Nvidia one never both.

If you get chance it would be interesting to turn vsync off in PUBG then turn vsync on in Nvidia Control Panel and see what you get.

Soldato
OP
Have look to see if you have got a gsync setting in Control Panel the monitor might be g-sync compatible.

Ideally you should not use the in game vsync setting to on if you are using the vsync setting in Nvidia Control panel as it can cause conflict or strange things to happen. I have a feeling this was your issue because setting it to fast is like having vsync off. Use either the in game one or the Nvidia one never both.

If you get chance it would be interesting to turn vsync off in PUBG then turn vsync on in Nvidia Control Panel and see what you get.

Ok thanks, I will try that out a bit later this afternoon and report back.

Soldato
OP
@varkanoid

Ahh thank you.

It is the G-Sync setting in the nvidia control panel, I didnt realise my monitor had G-Sync as far as I was aware Freesync, and in the nvida control panel it says the selected display is not validated for G-Sync, yet lets me tick the option to enable it all and its clearly working, see below:

v-sync on in control panel, on in games = half refresh.

v-Sync to "fast" in control panel, on in game = normal refresh.

G-Sync turned to on, V-sync on in control panel, off in game = normal refresh.

The FPS is PUBG was no different, but in Rocket League it was actually less with G-Sync setup, which is believe is correct. On "fast" I was getting solid 144fps but as you mentioned I was getting a wierd thing going on, with G-Sync enabled, V-Sync "on" in control panel, off in game, I am getting between about 130-144 but, it does feel smoother.

PUBG I didnt notice any difference but I guess that isnt running as fast so not such an obvious difference to see.

But yes, thank you, I do believe it is all correctly setup now.

Soldato
Great.

The correct setting for G-Sync is Vsync on in Nvidia Control Panel, Gsync on in Nvidia Control panel (selected and ticked the bottom option) and Vsync off in games plus
set your frame rate to 1 below your hz. So if you have a 144hz monitor set your max frame rate to 143fps (this is meant to make it smoother)

I dont bother with the frame rate cap anymore but this is what I use on my freesync monitor (compatible but no validated)

Soldato
Great.

The correct setting for G-Sync is Vsync on in Nvidia Control Panel, Gsync on in Nvidia Control panel (selected and ticked the bottom option) and Vsync off in games plus
set your frame rate to 1 below your hz. So if you have a 144hz monitor set your max frame rate to 143fps (this is meant to make it smoother)

I dont bother with the frame rate cap anymore but this is what I use on my freesync monitor (compatible but no validated)

You don’t need to enable Vsync with Gsync if you’re capping your FPS below refresh.

Soldato

PUBG runs almost perfectly nowa days. Played it yesterday and was shocked at how smooth and responsive it was.

Back
Top Bottom