McLaren Honda

Soldato
OP
I think most of the engine suppliers have said they will be out if F1 tries to go back to normally aspirated engines. Hybrid and the surrounding tech is useful research for their road divisions. I never understood why Bernie changed things to "save money", cost the teams tens of millions, and just when things were settling down, it would all change again. It's like he never wanted the smaller teams to survive.

Good point.
Andi.

Soldato
OP
They fixed the oil tank issue, going by Ted's video last week. I think its a bit much to write them off completely just yet.
The oil tank wasn't fixed, it needs a complete redesign, Mclaren just went slower in testing last week. It sounds like they will have the full race engine this week.
Andi.

Soldato
OP
I can't see McLaren getting out of this easily. It's like the Red Bull/Renault fiasco a couple of years ago. I'm not sure any existing engine supplier would be happy to help, finding another supplier will also be pretty difficult.
Andi.

Soldato
OP
I think anyone with a link to the VW scandal are not going to be considering an F1 entry. The only viable option I've heard is Alfa Romeo but that would be a Ferrari B team.
Andi.

Soldato
OP
True.
Honda are building a F1 engine planet here in the UK. So maybe then they will have people who can build a F1 engine?
Wow!
Early reports from Honda were that they wanted the engine to be all Honda designed and built in Japan. Sadly for them the UK is probably the best place to move to. Several engines of similar technology in WEC albeit a bit bigger and with 4WD (I believe).
Andi.

Soldato
OP
According to the BBC web site Honda are looking for an engine for McLaren and Alonso won't stay much longer.
I have to wonder who has put the boot in here, has Ron dropped them all in it?
I also have to wonder what Jenson and in fact Stoffel are thinking.
Andi.

Soldato
OP
You mean to say that Honda are looking for an alternative engine to their own for McLaren? Like a Mercedes? If so, wow.

I think if they didn't have to participate in order to retain their participation with the sport, they should just stop until they get a new PU from someone else. It's so damaging to their brands.
Sorry looks like I misread the quote on the BBC from Motorsport.com Honda are trying to supply to other teams, McLaren are looking at other engines.
Who though in their right mind would take a Honda engine at the moment, maybe Manor would have?
Andi.

Soldato
OP
Alonso would have really been unhappy at Ferrari the last few years, especially with Seb taking any limelight. I think he made the right decision at time as a Merc drive wasn't available. It just hasn't turned out good for him.
Andi.

Soldato
OP
Yes I think Lewis will give up soon so a seat there may be available, if Bottas does well he'll stay. However Mercedes could be losing this year and may not be the 'place to be' a bit like red Bull suddenly lost it.
Andi.

Soldato
OP
Part one of the demise of McLaren Honda may be taking place right now. Sauber getting close to agreeing to use Honda engines in 2018. Honda are apparently going to be freed from penalties for excess engine component use this year.
Ref: Autosport.
Andi.

Back
Top Bottom