McLaren P15......Good God....it's just......wow, no words!

Man of Honour
38057950045_8440e33185_b.jpg

Number of people I know at the launch I know, I thought this was an April fools but nope, 750K and you can have one of these! Discuss....but most of all laugh.

Man of Honour
OP
Well they chaps I know of who have put money in are talking £750K sticker prise and P1 + performance but look at it, hideous thing.

Man of Honour
OP
That is the car, I have loads of pics from tonights show, that's what it looks like and it's all over twitter now too.

Man of Honour
OP
All McLarens look better in the flesh but that side profile is unforgivable. Not sure what to make of McLaren as a manufacturer frankly, can't work them out and why all their cars seem to **** themselves (P1 aside) as soon as you drive them off the forecourt.

Man of Honour
OP
Thing is....

It's going to be slower than a proper race car (LMP2/LMP3) and more expensive.
It's going to be no quicker, frankly in many situations slower than a well sorted sports car A to B.
It's going to be driven in the main around Mayfair, Dubai, Moscow, upstate NY and probably not go close to a race circuit.
It's going to be revved lots, view lots of people drinking coffee and be clocked, the sold to round 2 speculators.
It's going to intimidate 90% of it's owners who will never get close to anything it's been built to do.
It's going to cost 20K to service when all they do is pump the tyres up....with panda farts no doubt.

I better than most here get the type of people who buy these cars as I know several. I am aware of a few who are getting one of these, but to me these are nothing more than vanity objects for the hyper car illuminati, one or two exceptions aside. I turn up at most car meets in an R8 V10 and people want to bum me and be my friend and that is cool, I am super sexy and dead friendly. I also get a kick from the young lad at a service station with his dad fawning over it and shouting "look dad, a Polo GTI" and I am happy to put time aside to let kids sit in the car, have some pictures taken, rev the engine because I was that lad in the 1970's. It's the next generation petrolhead, it is car owning law that we do these things when having something nice that petrol heads like, whatever their age.

However I turn up at one of those 'special' car events and I am not one of them. I get smiled at and then the owners all **** off into their gated area for special coffee and self bumming and usually any kids that come close, unless they have 10m followers on YouFace are shunned, not always, but often. THIS is the reality of why people buy these cars and for me that is sad, but also modern life. They are the modern emperors new clothes. All power to the boys and girls who can play the game, I just find them a little bit cynical and the people who buy them don't care and if it gives them a kick then fair play, their money, their spends.

Just a bit of shame that McLaren and others have started to turn into Apple with launch after launch of basically the same thing, over and over again and the headless chickens all dive in for a group hank.

Getting old me :D

Man of Honour
OP
I know a F1 driver who does tuition, saw him a couple of weeks back at Donington. He's ace but not because he was in F1 in the 70's, because he has driven so many ace cars I just want to have a coffee and talk about them, which he is happy to do. Go drivers make it look easy, annoyingly.

Man of Honour
OP
if you go above 30k for a Caterham it would be as fast as this (to 100mph) or even one of those Factory Fives with a BB Chevy..................as said, this car isn't for a ``get your hands dirty petrolhead``, i could never chat to an owner of this, i'd be jealous as hell !
it would also be very hard to own if you had the money , because others will give you the same looks as i do..... ``haters will hate`` :p

Not really. 620R is about as quick as a modern Caterham gets. Go look at the numbers for that 0-100 and then something like a McLaren 720, which this car will outpace, probably closer to P1 performance. The issue the Caterham has is putting the power down. I followed one at Donington a couple of weeks back, it's issue when track was cold was both front and rear grip and after 120mph my R8 was hauling it back in. Sure around a lap in the right conditions I would not see where it went, but suspect this would leave it for dead.

Man of Honour
OP
Depends on the tack... as soon as anything with aero got in the position to use it... the aero car would win.

Around a track with shorter straights... there isn't much than can beat the Caterham... but this would be a competitor or winner for sure...

Next track car is going to be SR3 or SR8.

You use RMA or Goldtrack for Donington?

I tend to like RMA days... but GT are good too.
Opentrack

Man of Honour
OP
According to the McLaren Owners Club forum the 500 limited edition cars have all been sold well before the car was officially announced.

Pretty much, but I know of people who are not taking them now. MacLife is a strange place, they are very patriotic about their Ron's

Man of Honour
OP
Think is an LMP2 car would destroy an FXX or this which is why I find them pointless. You could get an LMP2 car and a team for less than an FXX over 3 years!

Man of Honour
OP
Thread title makes no sense.... Says he/she has no words. Yet uses a number of words!

I think it's a odd looking car. And I don't mean that in a good way. The P1 and 675LT look far better.... This looks like something Homer Simpson designed.

Please don't start a sentence with And if we are being straight down the line here. :)

Back
Top Bottom