MCU to "Refocus” and Disney sinking faster than the Titanic (Starwars is dead Marvel is dead)

Soldato
I think his analyses of Luke and how the force has been used throughout the series (in the Last Jedi vid) are spot on, in particular.
I agreed with his initial comments about force powers and how they were making it up as they went along, but then he lost me when he added the bit regarding force speed from TPM, along with other powers as these had already been established as cannon in the eu.

Additionally, people's complaints regarding Luke's force projection in TLJ weren't based on folks 'wanting Luke to go ham and destroy Ren's army', it was that time/distance was thrown out the window (along with the utterly ridiculousness of the Finn/Rose Tiko situation, his take on which is also misses the point for me).

His points regarding Luke/Kylo are also fundamentally flawed imo as the driving force behind Luke's motivations in Return aren't the protection of his friends (I understand he wants to draw comparisons between empire and tlj as they are the second movie in each trilogy which his why he raises this) but Luke believes that people can always be drawn away from the dark into the light, this is why he never gives up on Vader and he would never give up on Kylo. Luke sensing there is darkness in Kylo and wanting to protect his friends wouldn't automatically mean he would jump to murdering someone in their sleep, as he isn't the same person that let his emotions get the better of him in empire and abandon his training.

I may give the 2nd video a watch later, just to see if my personal complaints are still there - humor and the like :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Oh really, you want to have a discussion of the merits of the video. Okay, I'll get back to you.

Well, I’m always up for reading thoughts on things I’ve shared (and I appreciate the time spent to write them) but I can’t really say I want to have any discussion when their is a needless air of confrontation to it.

My entirely throwaway post sharing some vids I liked really wasn’t intended as passionate slap in the face with a glove requesting an ‘energy-expensive’ duel. We’re all just here shooting the **** about films because we like them.

Sorry if I rubbed you up the wrong way.

Man of Honour
His points regarding Luke/Kylo are also fundamentally flawed imo as the driving force behind Luke's motivations in Return aren't the protection of his friends (I understand he wants to draw comparisons between empire and tlj as they are the second movie in each trilogy which his why he raises this) but Luke believes that people can always be drawn away from the dark into the light, this is why he never gives up on Vader and he would never give up on Kylo. Luke sensing there is darkness in Kylo and wanting to protect his friends wouldn't automatically mean he would jump to murdering someone in their sleep, as he isn't the same person that let his emotions get the better of him in empire and abandon his training.

I may give the 2nd video a watch later, just to see if my personal complaints are still there - humor and the like :)

I think the comparison he was making is that Luke is someone that falters before doing the right thing. When fighting Vader, he did rage out against him, before showing mercy and throwing down his light saber. Likewise, he almost made a bad decision re: Kylo… but didn’t.

^All of the associated messaging with Luke then realising that he needed to be seen by others as a legend (even if he didn’t think he was - because of his failings) makes sense.

Yeah the second one is a good chuckle. Particularly when he gets onto Ochi, the ‘top assassin’ that gets eaten by a snake :o :D

I actually really liked Rise of Skywalker in the cinema as I allowed (wanted?) myself to be drawn in emotionally. But as fun as that was as an experience, it’s definitely dumb and really threw TLJ under a bus.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think the comparison he was making is that Luke is someone that falters before doing the right thing. When fighting Vader, he did rage out against him, before showing mercy and throwing down his light saber. Likewise, he almost made a bad decision re: Kylo… but didn’t.
Yeah but he rages out because he/his emotions are being manipulated by both vader and palps. There's nothing whatsoever to suggest anything of the sort in tlj.
^All of the associated messaging with Luke then realising that he needed to be seen by others as a legend (even if he didn’t think he was - because of his failings) makes sense.
It would make sense in the context of the absurdity following his decision to act out of character true, still doesn't detract from the ******* reasoning and the underlying message of '**** you fans, all the characters you loved are dead or broken shells'
I actually really liked Rise of Skywalker in the cinema as I allowed (wanted?) myself to be drawn in emotionally. But as fun as that was as an experience, it’s definitely dumb and really threw TLJ under a bus.
No comment :D

Soldato
Here’s his thoughts on The Last Jedi (released before Rise of Skywalker) - spoiler, he likes it:

So he ignores the plot and just talks about Themes. Maybe that's what you like or that what you consider to be deep analysis, that's fine. I think it is stupid to ignore plot. Generally most people aren't talking about Themes when discussing movies or books.

If all you do is look at themes and ignore plot, is there such a thing as a bad film? As long as it has themes is it therefore a good film? I guess he kind of says that at the end

This attitude of looking at the themes and ignoring plot reminds me of the attitude people take when discussing modern art.

He is disingenuous about peoples critiques of TLJ, throughout his video.
He is disengenuous while trying paste the complaints of TLJ on to ESB. Ironically stripping out the nuance to do so. He mentions that people say new forces powers cannot be introduced (disengenuous) but ignores the issue people had which is that it affects the previous stories.
He summaries the entire critque people had of TLJ as people just wanted the original films in a new skin.

He says that Luke's greatest achievement is resisting the darkside and refusing to fight. Now I thought the scene was about Luke not killing his father with Palpatine egging him on to replace Vadar as the apprentice. Luke stating he is a Jedi, is him standing up against palpatines attempts to convert him to the darkside. I didn't think it was a declaration of Luke becoming a Pacifist. But hey, maybe i missed the deeper themes.

He stuggles to understand that are liberties that can be taken when setting up a mystery in a brand new IP. But those same liberties do not work when the IP in question was wrapped up with a bow decades ago.
Talking about lore; seems like he is mocking those who essentially made SW what it is, prior to the Disney purchase. Made even funnier by him injecting his own lore theory into the video about the balance of power between light and dark.

What is this snoke riot he is talking about? Or is that a joke?

So he talks about how there is a theme we shouldn't destroy stuff we need to preserve things.

In the opening scene when Poe attempts to take out the dreadnaught, he simply states that Po is wrong and doesn't even look into potential reasoning for why Po may have taken those actions. The unfortunate truth is that war involves a lot of sacrifice, he doesn't explore whether or not Poe's decision is a worthwhile tradeoff. A few bombers for a dreadnaught, could actually be a good decision. There isn't much nuisance in his take.

He is criticising Poe because his plan leads to others making sacrifices, while showing that general lady having to do the Hyperdrive RAM because of the failings of her own plan and therefore having to make a sacrifice. Maybe this is a 4D chess move and he is actually criticising the lady at the same time as Poe.

He has a problem with Poe trying to destroy the cannon that is trying to take down the bunker door, because protecting the Resistance is more important than blowing things up. But the cannon needs to be taken out, because at the time they launch the door was the only thing standing between them and destruction, C3-P0 literally says that. They had no way out, and they were trying buy time for reinforcements to come. So Nerrel is just wrong here.

He says Rogue one is a really boring story. Oh boy I heard that, it is considered to be one of the best star wars movies in the Disney era.

I've probably missed some other bits but I think this is long enough.

So in summary. I have no idea what you see in this guy for you to consider his analysis deeper than other youtubers and more nuanced. He is nothing special. I guess if you only care about themes then he would be right up your alley.

I'm going to take my socks off as they appear to still be on after watching his video.

Well, I’m always up for reading thoughts on things I’ve shared (and I appreciate the time spent to write them) but I can’t really say I want to have any discussion when their is a needless air of confrontation to it.
The reason why I prefaced my comment that you quoted with an "Oh really" is because I didn't believe that you wanted a discussion on this. This post of yours just reads as you back tracking after confidently declaring that it would be a worthwhile discussion.

I've given your friend Nerrel a fair shake and I don't see why you like him.

Soldato
I apologise that I am contributing to the off topic Star Wars discussion but Roz from Canadaian Entertainment Tonight hit the nail on the head pretty much as soon as it came out. The Themes don't really matter when the suspension of disbelief was so massively been broken.

Soldato
Luke goes through the original movies basically boasting “my father was a jedi” and then has to face the realisation that his dad is Vader in which most people across the galaxy fear. As said above he has to fight the pain and anger at this betrayal with the emperor egging him on. Don’t know where the pacifism stuff has come from :s

Soldato
Luke goes through the original movies basically boasting “my father was a jedi” and then has to face the realisation that his dad is Vader.................

Luke never, ever, not even once tells another character that his Father was a Jedi in either Ep4 or 5, never mind "boasting" about it. It's only right at the end of Ep6, first when facing Vader after handing himself in and then later facing the Emperor, that even even mentions who his Father is for the first time.

He doesn't even tell Leia about Vader when he's telling her that they're siblings.

Caporegime
Luke never, ever, not even once tells another character that his Father was a Jedi in either Ep4 or 5, never mind "boasting" about it. It's only right at the end of Ep6, first when facing Vader after handing himself in and then later facing the Emperor, that even even mentions who his Father is for the first time.

He doesn't even tell Leia about Vader when he's telling her that they're siblings.
Yup, first mention in RotJ, 'I am a Jedi, like my father before me.'

Man of Honour
@Chuk_Chuk forgive my delay in replying but I've been a busy bee. It's worth responding to and a valid convo evolving from the thread, but putting this into spoilers so people can dodge It if they want. I don't want to bore everyone else to death :o :D

My original comment that you seem to take issue with was this (but I will add emphasis with red text):

As a side point to the above - and it’s as good place as anywhere to share it as anywhere I guess - if Critical Drinker is being presented as somebody who understands storytelling and narrative, I suggest someone who is much, much better and more balanced in his approach is Nerrel.

^^^For some reasons why I don't think Critical Drinker is balanced, have a look at some of the recent posts in the Barbie thread. Others clearly agree.

You're right that in the first vid I posted (on the Last Jedi) there is a focus on themes and characters rather than focussing on plot. I think this is because a lot of criticism aimed at the film has been aimed at those two things and I think Nerrel's take on those topics is pretty much spot on. I do think that Luke's actions made sense and weren't out of character at all, for the reasons that Nerrel mentions. His throwing away of the lightsaber made complete sense in the context of his character - the vid that @PlacidCasual posted above makes this criticism and I disagree with it. I also completely disagree with the criticism in that vid re: Snoke's lack of backstory. I agree with Nerrel: Snoke didn't need a backstory... just like the Emperor didn't need a backstory in the original trilogy. Their primary purpose is for the development of the other characters.

If you were to watch the second video, you'll see that Nerrel spends a lot of time dissecting and ridiculing the plot of Rise of Skywalker and indeed the whole trilogy, which seems to be your biggest complaint with the vid. This is where the aforementioned 'balance' comes in - the two vid complement each other. He notes that the complete ret-conned Luke's character for the final film, backed up by quotes from the directors.

I would agree that certain aspects of the plot of Last Jedi required an intense suspension of disbelief and I'd agree that some events (notably the hyperspace sacrifice thing) do raise questions about past events in the trilogy. But I think these shortcomings in plot with the Last Jedi can mostly be explained away with more screen time. I don't think it's a good approach to perceive a film as nonsensical because I refuse to cut the film a bit of slack. And there are plenty of things that make little upon scrutiny in the original films, like walking outside the Millennium Falcon on the asteroid. But I would agree say that Rey's skill level was over the top.

As for Poe, your post seems to defend his actions on the basis that they were made with good intentions. Indeed, they weren't malicious and he was trying to do the right thing. But the film was clearly making out that Poe needed to grow, going so far as to trash his X-wing in front of him (and the audience). And he does grow. Nerrel isn't criticising the character of Poe... he's actually praising his character arc.

Ultimately, my own take aligns with Nerrel's - his summary of the characters and themes is why I enjoyed TLJ and I have never bought many of the zealous criticisms that are aimed at that film. However, I also align with Nerrel that Rise of Skywalker can't be defended and that the whole sequel trilogy was ultimately a mess.

Finally, your post seems to take an exclusively critical take and is seemingly out to make a point - noting the emotive language surrounding your socks. In your quote of me you even edited out my apology to you for rubbing you up the wrong way and still proceed with an antagonistic tone - k :confused:

Maybe chill out and don't be so needlessly antagonistic towards somebody for just recommending a couple of videos?

Last edited:
Soldato
Star Wars critique chat

So I thought this was a discussion on whether or not Nerrel is cut above the rest when it comes to movie critiques and that star wars just happens to be the film in which he shows his skill, and not a reahashing on whether or not TLJ is a good film. I will try to ensure that everything points back to Nerrel

My original comment that you seem to take issue with was this (but I will add emphasis with red text):

^^^For some reasons why I don't think Critical Drinker is balanced, have a look at some of the recent posts in the Barbie thread. Others clearly agree.
Why is he "much, much better"?

I specifically Highlighted what I "take Issue with" (as per your words), in my quoted post. I do not equate asking for clarification on a statement as to take Issue/offence as you have continuously tried to claim not just in this posts but prior posts. More on that later.

If you want to know what I "took issue with", well I said so right here.
You've just restated your opinion, admittedly with more detail. I was hoping you would explain it.

As for the comment on balanced. Well we have what (in this barbie example) CD has said and what you have said. The only way for me to judge what is actually a balanced take is to go see the film myself and to evaluate the comments for myself. So not much for me to comment on, with that regards.

You're right that in the first vid I posted (on the Last Jedi) there is a focus on themes and characters rather than focussing on plot. I think this is because a lot of criticism aimed at the film has been aimed at those two things
I have no idea what criticism you have seen that was aimed at the themes of TLJ. All of the critiques I have seen were aimed at either the plot or the characters or both. The only time I have heard about themes is in defense of TLJ or people mocking that defense.

I also completely disagree with the criticism in that vid re: Snoke's lack of backstory. I agree with Nerrel: Snoke didn't need a backstory... just like the Emperor didn't need a backstory in the original trilogy. Their primary purpose is for the development of the other characters.
I did bring up this point in my previous post but allow me to elaborate why I think this makes Nerrel look bad. Snoke, who is the leader of the first order and hence by extension the first order themselves are a pivtol role in the plot of these sequel films and have significant impact on the world building for the Star Wars universe. A universe that consists of 6 prior films. It is incredibly reductive to dismiss him as just a device for character development, when he clearly has an impact on the world and story at large.

It is strange to me that people should just be content with Somehow snoke is now the most powerful darkside force user, and somehow snoke raised a massive army. These are sequel films, the story and world building should maintain continuity. That is why people take issue with Palpatine somehow returning for TRS. An explanation is necessary to show how things have moved on in-universe.

Nerrel doesn't address this and that makes his analysis flawed. A good movie critic, doesn't get to hand wave away important critiques pertaining to the story.

If you were to watch the second video, you'll see that Nerrel spends a lot of time dissecting and ridiculing the plot of Rise of Skywalker and indeed the whole trilogy, which seems to be your biggest complaint with the vid. This is where the aforementioned 'balance' comes in - the two vid complement each other. He notes that the complete ret-conned Luke's character for the final film, backed up by quotes from the directors
I've already spent time on one video and found it to be woeful. I am not spending time on a second video on the promise that it is better by the same person that suggested the first video. If there is anything in that video, that shows him to be competent at movie analysis then you are going to need to give me a time stamp.

As far the balanced comment, I've already said what I think in a previous post. Your statements here do not change that.

I would agree that certain aspects of the plot of Last Jedi required an intense suspension of disbelief and I'd agree that some events (notably the hyperspace sacrifice thing) do raise questions about past events in the trilogy. But I think these shortcomings in plot with the Last Jedi can mostly be explained away with more screen time. I don't think it's a good approach to perceive a film as nonsensical because I refuse to cut the film a bit of slack. And there are plenty of things that make little upon scrutiny in the original films, like walking outside the Millennium Falcon on the asteroid. But I would agree say that Rey's skill level was over the top.
That's fine but it has nothing to do with Nerrel, so no comment.

As for Poe, your post seems to defend his actions on the basis that they were made with good intentions. Indeed, they weren't malicious and he was trying to do the right thing. But the film was clearly making out that Poe needed to grow, going so far as to trash his X-wing in front of him (and the audience). And he does grow. Nerrel isn't criticising the character of Poe... he's actually praising his character arc.
My posts regarding Poe, was to show that Nerrel was not Nuanced in his takes and was just wrong in another one of his takes. Hence me specifically saying that in my post.

He has a goal and will take any piece of information he can get his hands on and twist it to reach the conclusion he desires. Ironic considering this is also appears to be your critque of CD.

Lets take the X-wing scene. When he brings that up I genuinely had a reaction of "oh that's clever". The idea is to show him that he doesn't need blow things up to solve every situation. And the situation does resolve itself without Poe getting in an X-wing.

However there is no way Poe could have accounted for the 12 inch thick carbon fibre reinforced plot armour and the staggering incompetence of the first order that allows the rebels to survive this exchange. They should have been dead, those tie-fighters should have been ripping them to shreds since they would have been able to take free "bombing" runs on the captial ship. They should have just been hammeing them with everything they've got. Once again the correct decision is to get in the X-wing and blow stuff up.

I quite frankly do not see the value character development whose basis is made on poor to downright incorrect plot points, that need to be massaged to fit neatly into place. Nerrel from what I remember simply ignores this and just expects the user to just go along with it

Ultimately, my own take aligns with Nerrel's - his summary of the characters and themes is why I enjoyed TLJ and I have never bought many of the zealous criticisms that are aimed at that film. However, I also align with Nerrel that Rise of Skywalker can't be defended and that the whole sequel trilogy was ultimately a mess.
So Nerrel echo's your own opinions, which from what I gather is why you like him. I can see why you didn't make this point intially. Fair enough, I'm not going to dog on you for that.

Finally, your post seems to take an exclusively critical take and is seemingly out to make a point - noting the emotive language surrounding your socks.
My post was to analysis whether or not Nerrel offers a level of analysis and nuance that placed him a cut above the pack as per what you told me.
I believe they show a level of nuance and analysis far greater than many other YouTubers.

Since when I asked you, you told me to go do my own research. I did. These are my findings. Now you say that I have an "exclusively critical take" (I'm assuming you mean i only view the negatives). But then you, yourself have not offered much in the way of his defence outside of, "I agree with him". Just because you agree with a point doesn't mean the point is nuanced, in fact a nuanced point can still be disagreed with, which is how discussions come about. With regards to the exclusive comment, maybe there is nothing to praise.

The socks thing was literally a joke. We are in the summer, people aren't wearing socks indoors if they don't have to. Wow, we have got to this stage.

Now then let me address this.

Sorry if I rubbed you up the wrong way.
you seem to take issue
In your quote of me you even edited out my apology to you for rubbing you up the wrong way and still proceed with an antagonistic tone - k :confused:
Maybe chill out and don't be so needlessly antagonistic towards somebody for just recommending a couple of videos?
You clearly have an idea in your head about how I feel. You have already selected the tone of my voice/posts and you've made it very clear that is what you think. Your consistent need to bring it up seems like you want me to say something about it.

So yes, I've heard you and I don't care about what ever story you've made up in your head about me. That is why I ignored your "apology".

Last edited:
Soldato
Disney have spent a lot money on buying up the competition and their now at a point where they have too much IP on their hands which they can't effectively monetise due to oversaturation yet the content they do put has been underwhelming to poor. Add in price gouging at it's theme parks, getting involved in a very public dispute with local politicians and a run of box office disasters like Lightyear, The Little Mermaid, Strange World and the recent instalment of Indiana Jones you have to wonder why shareholders haven't revolved and booted out Bob Iger (perhaps Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny will he straw that breaks to camels back).

I'm no fan of so called progressive politics, people who engage in this sort of political posturing either don't understand it or don't realise how damaging it is to their liberty and freedom. Saying that I don't buy into any notion that just because something is 'Woke' it's bad, social issues told well make for engaging stories and memorable work. Combine bad writing and a woke agenda and you get garbage like Ghostbuster 2016, Captain Marvel, Star Wars The Last Jedi etc but told well you get shows like Star Trek TOS and TNG, The Orville and movies like To Kill A Mockingbird. The problem they have at Disney is they let politics come before the product and as a result you end up with idiots with an agenda taking shows and characters that people care about and treat it will all the care and grace of a gorilla covered in itching powder trapped on a trampoline.

Last edited:
Soldato
Disney have spent a lot money on buying up the competition and their now at a point where they have too much IP on their hands which they can't effectively monetise due to oversaturation yet the content they do put has been underwhelming to poor. Add in price gouging at it's theme parks, getting involved in a very public dispute with local politicians and a run of box office disasters like Lightyear, The Little Mermaid, Strange World and the recent instalment of Indiana Jones you have to wonder why shareholders haven't revolved and booted out Bob Iger (perhaps Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny will he straw that breaks to camels back).

I'm no fan of so called progressive politics, people who engage in this sort of political posturing either don't understand it or don't realise how damaging it is to their liberty and freedom. Saying that I don't buy into any notion that just because something is 'Woke' it's bad, social issues told well make for engaging stories and memorable work. Combine bad writing and a woke agenda and you get garbage like Ghostbuster 2016, Captain Marvel, Star Wars The Last Jedi etc but told well you get shows like Star Trek TOS and TNG, The Orville and movies like To Kill A Mockingbird. The problem they have at Disney is they let politics come before the product and as a result you end up with idiots with an agenda taking shows and characters that people care about and treat it will all the care and grace of a gorilla covered in itching powder trapped on a trampoline.

The mind virus is running the company from top to bottom.

Back
Top Bottom