MCU to "Refocus” and Disney sinking faster than the Titanic (Starwars is dead Marvel is dead)

Soldato
One good thing about Disney plus failings is they been forced back into physical media market :D
They never left it - majority of Disney+ content always end up getting released on physical, just with a slight delay - same with their Netflix shows like Daredevil. They've held off on DVD/UHD releases of tentpole shows for obvious reasons.

Disney+ has been and still is a huge success for them even with the reducing subs, it has massively shrunk their physical distribution and continues to do so. There is a bit of a token push for box sets of classics in the US and similar but nothing that is going to tip the scales massively back to physical.

Not a marvel fanboy btw - just 15+ years working directly with Disney, WB and the like on UK/european physical distribution - i've seen first hand the drop in physical numbers since D+ went live.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
They never left it - majority of Disney+ content always end up getting released on physical, just with a slight delay - same with their Netflix shows like Daredevil. They've held off on DVD/UHD releases of tentpole shows for obvious reasons.

Disney+ has been and still is a huge success for them even with the reducing subs, it has massively shrunk their physical distribution and continues to do so. There is a bit of a token push for box sets of classics in the US and similar but nothing that is going to tip the scales massively back to physical.

Not a marvel fanboy btw - just 15+ years working directly with Disney, WB and the like on UK/european physical distribution - i've seen first hand the drop in physical numbers since D+ went live.
where you been? Ask any physical media collector that question. Seriously and I'm not talking about the latest Marvel films/Pixer.

You got a direct line to Bob?

Soldato
Just saying that even with this announcement of pushing more to physical, almost everything from the D+ stable was either coming or came to physical anyway at some point. D+ just delayed that a little bit further so as to make more money from subs. The announcement isn't a huge change in tactics, it just makes them sound like they're doing more when in fact, just doing it a bit faster that normal timelines.

Also, a chance we're talking at cross purposes here, Disney...and well, all major company physical distribution is down hugely in raw numbers, Disney have pulled out of Australia entirely on the physical front, it's only going one way, these token gestures are mildly delaying it.

EDIT: I would add, there was a bounce around covid and lockdowns, numbers on physical went up for clear reasons, it's now correcting back to the downward trend.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Disney + original's didn't. A few months after that announcement we now have have preoders for shows like Loki/Mando/Wanda.
They look frigging amazing also.

I'm not here arguing about the direction of physical media which is turning into a slightly more high end market.

collectors have been begging Disney to release some of their older catalog or licence it out to someone like Arrow or criterion for years and now by the looks it it that's happening.

Caporegime
Just saying that even with this announcement of pushing more to physical, almost everything from the D+ stable was either coming or came to physical anyway at some point. D+ just delayed that a little bit further so as to make more money from subs. The announcement isn't a huge change in tactics, it just makes them sound like they're doing more when in fact, just doing it a bit faster that normal timelines.

Also, a chance we're talking at cross purposes here, Disney...and well, all major company physical distribution is down hugely in raw numbers, Disney have pulled out of Australia entirely on the physical front, it's only going one way, these token gestures are mildly delaying it.

EDIT: I would add, there was a bounce around covid and lockdowns, numbers on physical went up for clear reasons, it's now correcting back to the downward trend.
Don’t question or disagree with the bigpig, you’ll upset him.

Soldato
collectors have been begging Disney to release some of their older catalog or licence it out to someone like Arrow or criterion for years and now by the looks it it that's happening.
On a sidenote, this has been an issue for a long time and their insistence on 'vaulting' certain titles - normally just their classics however.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
On a sidenote, this has been an issue for a long time and their insistence on 'vaulting' certain titles - normally just their classics however.
That Fox back catalog tho :/

On a side note they also seem to be spending a little bit more time on the transfer's instead of just printing disks.

I think I'm going to throw up. Too much praise for the house of mouse

Associate
What about Ahoska do you like?
What do you think Ahoska does well that andor fails in?

Can't put my finger on it tbh, but Ashoka captured my interest from the off, seemed more star warsy than andor, story seemed to move at a slightly faster pace, and more light saber action, I don't think it's quite as good as Obi wan Kenobi series, again just my opinion but the fight scenes and general story line just seemed a different level but then Ashoka isn't I don't believe supposed to be as strong in the force as those 2.

I never got passed episode 3 in andor though, just couldn't get into it and I don't feel I've missed anything either.

Commissario

IIRC there was some suggestion that Disney were stopping physical releases in Australia (presumably as a test) for new stuff, I think that was meant to happen this year with the last new releases being solicited for something like October.

Personally whilst I can see some of the reasons to do it in Aus first (smallish market, high distribution costs), it was also possibly one of the worst in terms of how many potential customers couldn't get Disney+ due to poor quality internet in the more "rural" areas.

The new Star wars trilogy was ruined because different directors **** each of the films and started to go their own way.
Yup

It absolutely floored me when I learned that they'd had no sort of planned story line or coherent overall plot laid in before they started films 2 and 3, and explains a huge amount about how they ended up.

Man of Honour
Yup

It absolutely floored me when I learned that they'd had no sort of planned story line or coherent overall plot laid in before they started films 2 and 3, and explains a huge amount about how they ended up.

It is absolutely stunning but also the least of the problems really with those movies, they really didn't get, or even it seems care, what drew people to Star Wars with those movies and treated the audience as if they were thick - I'm always amazed anyone ever defends TLJ.

Soldato
Disney along with all the streaming services (separate from content creator) are all going through a consolidation due to market saturation.

Just because you have some content - you need to dictate prices therefore you must own the distribution end to end, means you're going to be successful.

Additionally the push to produce a mass of content (because you're not needing to justify the £££ cost in the customer's budget along side content consolidators) simply undoes the magic of Disney. People waited for Disney releases and yet now we have Disney releases in a stream in order to perpetuate the 1960s Disney princess.

I just think Disney is missing a trick - if they want continuous content then they need to make interactive games and stream that content. However the lack of imagination of Disney in terms of content would only spill over to the playstyle of the games.

Disney are playing in a saturated market, with strong competition. They need to ask themselves - is the content they're producing strong enough to compete?

Soldato
IIRC there was some suggestion that Disney were stopping physical releases in Australia (presumably as a test) for new stuff, I think that was meant to happen this year with the last new releases being solicited for something like October.
Yup, ended August this year with some smaller countries to follow, it's just the inevitable winding down of smaller markets.

Soldato
Disney along with all the streaming services (separate from content creator)
Funny you should mention content creators. I think it was a mistake for companies like Disney to make their own streaming services because it forces them to get on the same grinding treadmill as content creators, except they have more money in the line.

They need to constantly be putting out content to retain the subscription which forces them to play safe. Because As with content creators if you put out too many duds people will go elsewhere.

They should have kept the symbiotic relationship with Netflix rather than get greedy. Focus on making good programs and leave Netflix or prime to worry about subscriber numbers.

Last edited:
Soldato
Funny you should mention content creators. I think it was a mistake for companies like Disney to make their own streaming services because it forces them to get on the same grinding treadmill as content creators, except they have more money in the line.

They need to constantly be putting out content to retain the subscription which forces them to play safe. Because As with content creators if you put out too many duds people will go elsewhere.

They should have kept the symbiotic relationship with Netflix rather than get greedy. Focus on making good programs and leave Netflix or prime to worry about subscriber numbers.

Shareholders greed, this is one of the major issues with short term profit hunting to turn a quick buck.

It’s funny - Pixar seem to be less pushed, and focus on innovative new ideas. I see Disney being pushed to one side and pixar pushed forward only to break that too.. it’s starting to happen..

You only need to look at Diablo 4 and the company issues to see how bad the story line and game has failed. It had so much promise..

Last edited:
Soldato
It’s funny - Pixar seem to be less pushed, and focus on innovative new ideas. I see Disney being pushed to one side and pixar pushed forward only to break that too.. it’s starting to happen..
Quite saddened with Pixar of recent years, even as an adult, they always put out well written movies that I could easily watch. I've seen all the recent ones due to my son but they are missing some of the magic that made their earlier stuff so good. Incredibles 2 is probably the last one I really enjoyed.

Soldato
OP
It is absolutely stunning but also the least of the problems really with those movies, they really didn't get, or even it seems care, what drew people to Star Wars with those movies and treated the audience as if they were thick - I'm always amazed anyone ever defends TLJ.
that Witch is an evil woman!!

Imagine blocking on on screen reunion of Leia, Luke and Han.

She had one job. On screen all at once that’s what the majority of OT fans wanted……

But noooooooo she didn’t want attention taken off her new characters. Which are ****…..

Ooo and let’s tear them down also while we’re at it.

Last edited:
Soldato
that Witch is an evil woman!!

Imagine blocking on on screen reunion of Leia, Luke and Han.

She had one job. On screen all at once that’s what the majority of OT fans wanted……

But noooooooo she didn’t want attention taken off her new characters. Which are ****…..

Ooo and let’s tear them down also while we’re at it.
Fairly sure she had some sort of grudge against Lucas and by extension, the fanbase and what better way to get back at him/them than to ruin millions of fans expectations.

Back
Top Bottom