Meanwhile in Hong Kong....

Soldato
Can't imagine we'll see a large influx, like people have said it's too far away. Tragic what's happening though, surprised HK managed to get 23 years of the current setup before CCP came a knocking.

How long can they tighten their grip before some form of USSR inner collapse. Figure a very long time.

Unfortunately a long time if we the west carry on lapping up their dirt cheap products.
USSR never had the financial clout that China has now.

USSR couldn't carry on trying to keep up with the us on weapons,China is sooo much better at espionage so don't have to spend a much on r&d.

Caporegime
So let me get this straight...correct me if I am wrong.

There are some people, whom I assume are right wing, anti-immigrants, votes Brexit, loves Boris etc...I guess they voted him in because of some of the above or all of the above and then some.

Now he promises 3 million people half way from the other side of the world a path to come over?!

lol

You can’t make this stuff up. Real life is so strange sometimes...or 2020 is just plain unpredictable.

Living under an oppressive regime. Shared history. Shared ethics. Typically highly skilled.
Sound like the people we should be inviting over!

Associate
That sub-reddit was practically dead anyway, so it wasn't as spectacular as it seemed. I don't see why China would care about it, that seems kind of irrelevant to me when it was likely the pressure from Reddit's demographics that did it.

It was practically dead because it had been quarantined for months. This is completely standard Reddit MO for non-left communities that they want to remove. Quarantine, therefore no-one new can find it, wait a bit for the hardcore members to naturally dwindle, then remove completely.

Soldato
Correction, Muslims are very conservative. But that didn't translate to who they voted for traditionally. As they voted Labour to keep the immigration doors open so that they could bring more and more of their families over as they saw Labour as a soft touch.
Don't forget the benefits

Soldato
Living under an oppressive regime. Shared history. Shared ethics. Typically highly skilled.
Sound like the people we should be inviting over!
Seems fair, attracting high wealth business minded types could be great for our economy. It'll be done realistically if it comes to it. People need housing, health-care, utilities, their kids will need education. We can't suddenly build 3 million houses and all the accompanying infrastructure. :D

In reality, 3 million people are unlikely to want to up sticks from HK and move here. There are a tonne of other (better IMO) options and other countries are following suit with the gesture of offering a way out.

Last edited:
Soldato
So let me get this straight...correct me if I am wrong.

There are some people, whom I assume are right wing, anti-immigrants, votes Brexit, loves Boris etc...I guess they voted him in because of some of the above or all of the above and then some.

Now he promises 3 million people half way from the other side of the world a path to come over?!

lol

You can’t make this stuff up. Real life is so strange sometimes...or 2020 is just plain unpredictable.
Can you explain why you think what Boris, Brexit and UNCONTROLLED immigration and being right wing has to do with this situation?

I'm confused

Associate
Unfortunately a long time if we the west carry on lapping up their dirt cheap products.
USSR never had the financial clout that China has now.

USSR couldn't carry on trying to keep up with the us on weapons,China is sooo much better at espionage so don't have to spend a much on r&d.

Scary stuff, I always thought the west weren't taking them seriously enough and even worse in the UK with Osborne and Cameron trying to get in bed with them. There was a great article I read about when Cameron met the Dali Lama and CCP lost their **** our diplomats basically had to kiss CCP shoes to save face.

If we learn anything from covid and HK please let it be at least an awareness of CCP and globalisation.

Soldato
Scary stuff, I always thought the west weren't taking them seriously enough and even worse in the UK with Osborne and Cameron trying to get in bed with them. There was a great article I read about when Cameron met the Dali Lama and CCP lost their **** our diplomats basically had to kiss CCP shoes to save face.

If we learn anything from covid and HK please let it be at least an awareness of CCP and globalisation.

Unfortunately I fear we will learn bugger all from all of this,only thing people seem to care about is offending other people nowadays, actual suffering ie killings/slavery don't count as it supplies us with cheap goods .

The people want cheap goods, the mega rich want cheap labour so puts governments under pressure to go with the flow.

I can't believe the world lets them get away with the happy camps.

Caporegime
Chinese people tend to be wealth generators and business owners. We might even say we need them right now to create jobs

In my own family wise - my dad and his 2 brothers came over in the late 80's.

All 3 now own their businesses, one uncle has made enough to retire in his 40's (15 years ago), and became a landlord. All of them came over pretty much broke, never lived in council provided housing, never been on benefits. I got my degree, job and my own business, my sister qualified as a Solicitor.

Caporegime
Of course it's quite possible that they don't let BNO passport holders leave.What can the UK do if that happens?
Nothing.

They would have to stop people leaving the country completely, migrants find a way to get to the UK from other continents already.

People get out of North Korea, if people want to leave China they will find a way.

Soldato
Of course it's quite possible that they don't let BNO passport holders leave.What can the UK do if that happens?
Nothing.
Yes nothing just as we cannot do anything on their internal concentration camps and other human rights abrogations. Countries either have to hold their nose or stop dealing with them.

Soldato
The optics are good but we can hardly send in the gunboats on this in the present day. Note Cuba is supporting China, all the fascist dictators hang together.
The optics are terrible, we have let these people down in a massive way, we should be enforcing the joint declaration

Back
Top Bottom