Medieval Weapons

ttaskmaster your stave is no longer a stave if you put a metal blade on the end. Different weapon. I think this is where some of the confusion comes from. Also the type of fighting that you often refer to in this thread sounds like one on one rather than battlefield fighting. Twirling a stave around vs pole-arm type weapon again very different. (skim read the thread so if i have the wrong end of the stick (yeah I went there) then ignore)

Soldato
This is exactly it, he's conflating staff and polearm to mean one thing. Polearms were widely used as they were effective against cavalry and could be used in close formation and with a shield, swinging a 6 foot wooden staff with no blade isn't the same thing.

Man of Honour
"I might here speak of the excessive staves which divers that travel the way do carry upon their shoulders whereof some are twelve or fourteen foot long besides a pike of twelve...."
(Description of England. William Harrison 1534-93)

That doesn't say "most people in England routinely carry 12 to 14 foot long staffs around town, in pubs, in shops, etc."

It ups the ante, though. A 12 to 14 foot staff and a 12 foot pike. You'd need a lot of free space to be carrying those around (and no other uses for your hands).

You could easily get 20 people in a fairly small tavern...so where did the 40 12+ foot long thick poles go?

Length is tailored to individual stature:

"You shall stand upright, holding the staff upright close to your body with your left hand, reaching with your right hand youre staffe as high as you can, and then allow to that length a space to set both your hands when you come to fight, wherein you may conveniently strike, thrust and ward, and that is your just length to be made according to your stature. And this note, that those lengths will commonly fall out to be eight or nine foot long"
George Silver, 1598

Unless he was a time traveller and secret absolute dictator of England, he did not determine what every use of the word "staff" referred to in England in the past.

Caporegime
A Pilum was used as a short ranged throwing weapon before engaging with a gladius and shield.

Designed to pierce a shield and render it unweildable, but also to break so it couldn't be chucked back. Very clever.

Pikes are just cheap, stupidly long spears to be used in tight formation where you walk into each other and see who loses.

Soldato
ttaskmaster your stave is no longer a stave if you put a metal blade on the end. Different weapon. I think this is where some of the confusion comes from.
Oh. Right. Sorry, I didn't realise.
I mean, the hold, wards, guards and attacks all being the same is clearly where I'm getting confused... that and everyone calling it a polearm... you know, because it's a pole and all... Oh, and those pesky historical sources specifically citing the longstaff as a battlefield weapon, too long for practical civillian use... what WAS I thinking, believing people who were there at time, eh? I should probably watch more YouTubes instead......

Also the type of fighting that you often refer to in this thread sounds like one on one rather than battlefield fighting.
Most of it is the exact same, in terms of principles and techniques. That's one of the things I liked about this over the Eastern systems.

Twirling a stave around vs pole-arm type weapon again very different.
Please do elaborate...

swinging a 6 foot wooden staff with no blade isn't the same thing.
Technique the same, hold the same, principles the same, guards and wards the same, just a few extra things you can do with a blade on the end.

That doesn't say "most people in England routinely carry 12 to 14 foot long staffs around town, in pubs, in shops, etc."
No, the court records of all the killings done with one during civil disputes, far more than any other weapon, are pretty compelling evidence that they did carry a staff of some kind, whether it be the 6, 7, 9, 12 or 14 feet version... But I'm sure they're wrong, too... tell me more.

It ups the ante, though. A 12 to 14 foot staff and a 12 foot pike. You'd need a lot of free space to be carrying those around (and no other uses for your hands).
Beside, as in compared to, not at the same time.

You could easily get 20 people in a fairly small tavern...so where did the 40 12+ foot long thick poles go?
I'm sure some carried shorter staves, while others would happily leave them leant up against the wall outside, or some such.... But you're right, they probably couldn't fit them inside anywhere, so I guess they left them at home and never carried them. They just magically appeared during all those civil disputes...

Unless he was a time traveller and secret absolute dictator of England, he did not determine what every use of the word "staff" referred to in England in the past.
Ah, so when he says staff, he really means... what.... racecar?
Or that everyone else means something different by it? An 18" twig is now a quarterstaff?
But no, please do elaborate..... bearing in mind this is an educated man taking great pains to give some extremely exact descriptions of weapons, their variants, their differences, their uses and techniques, their advantages compared to each other, even the exact order of movements made during strikes and the differences that occur with each... What he gives there is the ideal length for each individual. He does (as mentioned) explan that lengths outside this measure are not the ideal and result in problems, mentioning the battlefield Longstaff among the common examples.

Great thread. Ttaskmaster, what are your thoughts on Skywalker, Yoda etc and their RGB staffs? Just a fad, or here to stay?
The CGI Yoda or the puppet version?

Man of Honour
[..]
No, the court records of all the killings done with one during civil disputes, far more than any other weapon, are pretty compelling evidence that they did carry a staff of some kind, whether it be the 6, 7, 9, 12 or 14 feet version... But I'm sure they're wrong, too... tell me more.

Or a 2 feet version. Or people took a weapon when they were going to kill someone, rather than carrying a very large weapon with them all the time.

Beside, as in compared to, not at the same time

What makes you sure that's what "[carrying a staff] twelve or fourteen feet long besides a pike of twelve" means?

I'm sure some carried shorter staves, while others would happily leave them leant up against the wall outside, or some such.... But you're right, they probably couldn't fit them inside anywhere, so I guess they left them at home and never carried them. They just magically appeared during all those civil disputes...

It is possible for people to fetch things.

Ah, so when he says staff, he really means... what.... racecar?

He means what he said. That does not mean that he dictated the length of everything described as a staff in England for centuries, including a long period of time before he was born.

Soldato
This staff would stand no chance against 2 angry gorillas no matter how well one is trained.
Terrible weapon choice.

tbf not much is proof against 2 angry gorillas, especially from medieval weaponry.

closest shot would be 2 crossbows, although miss once (which under the stress of having 2 angry gorillas charging you is likely) then your dead.

even a modern battle rifle would suffer if you weren't a decent enough shot.

Soldato
I don't think they can swim, they use moats to secure gorillas in their pens sometimes I'm sure I have seen.

They could just encircle them with staffsmen of course, none of them would make it through.

Last edited:
Soldato
Or a 2 feet version. Or people took a weapon when they were going to kill someone, rather than carrying a very large weapon with them all the time.
And all those times when someone tried to kill them?
They just happened to know they'd need a staff that day?

Also, find me any historical reference to a 2-foot quarterstaff....

What makes you sure that's what "[carrying a staff] twelve or fourteen feet long besides a pike of twelve" means?
Because that's not the precise quote:
"I might here speak of the excessive staves which divers that travel the way do carry upon their shoulders whereof some are twelve or fourteen foot long besides a pike of twelve...."
He's remarking on the staves specifically, not saying they carry both.
In other words, the staves are of equal or greater length compared to the pike's straight 12 feet. The point being they carry a somewhat oversized staff.

It is possible for people to fetch things.
Alright, you scumrat dog - I am going to kill you.... now you just wait RIGHT here for half an hour or so while I stagger back to my peasant hovel and fetch my quarterstaff..... you better still be here when I get back, ya hear?
Yeah, OK..... if you say so.

He means what he said. That does not mean that he dictated the length of everything described as a staff in England for centuries, including a long period of time before he was born.
He describes how things are, not sets down what he thinks they should be.
Same for Toxophilus giving bow measurements and bracing heights.

Soldato
I don't think they can swim, they use moats to secure gorillas in there pens sometimes I'm sure I have seen.

They could just encircle them with staffsmen of course, none of them would make it through.

I assumed they would be able to, but apparently their bodies are too dense (mostly muscle) and they have a high center of gravity, so they don't float and if they did they'd have a hard time staying up right.

Associate
giphy.gif

Soldato
By this point, I'm starting to think it can only be settled empirically. Any chance we can give =XDC=FluphyBunny, Roar87, garnett, Dis86, Angilion and dowie a sword each and then put them up against ttaskmaster with a staff and just see how it plays out? :)

xz1Ekn.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom