• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Melted CableMod 4090 90 degree adapter

Associate
OP
Is there no way of contacting the company that fixed your GPU to verify if the connector is the revised version?
Yeah the connectors were ordered direct from Nvidia, which is why it took a bit longer than they first expected, would have been a quick next day job if they had the connectors in stock.
Only thing I thought looked different was the sense pins, they seemed to be set a little further back than the old connector. And it felt like a tighter connection overall, guess time will tell, but I'm not sure the new connector will alleviate the problems anyway, since most people with melting issues all report that the cable was fully seated.

Fingers crossed its all OK now, but have to say I'll be a little on edge from now on lol

Associate
OP
In that case, I would stop worrying about the card now and actually try to start enjoying games again :)
Yeah finally started Starfield last night, it's not bad so far. Will just keep going and fingers crossed I don't get unlucky again.
Worst case scenario if it goes again in a year or so I suppose a £114 repair bill isn't the end of the world.
Let's hope Nvidia sees sense and bins off that stupid connector for the 50 series

Associate
OP
Second update from my end, CableMod have refunded the full amount of my repair as well as the original cost of the connector and postage costs into my PayPal account this morning.
Great service from them, good to know they have our backs.
Hope everyone else with this problem gets sorted soon

Associate
OP
Must be payout day for them as I also received full refund for shipping/ repair & adapter this morning :D
Glad to hear you are all sorted now mate, feels good to be back in action on PC.
Luckily I have a PS5 so could still get my gaming fix while the card was away but it's hard going back to 60fps now lol.
Fingers crossed we don't have this happen again

Associate
OP
Cheers mate

Funny enough I also have a PS5 so haven't missed on the gaming action, gave me some time to progress further in FF16 and got my COD kicks from the free warzone version which tbh I was pleasantly surprised how well it ran on PS5 . It hasn't quite got the shine of the PC version at 4k ultra settings but FPS is where it should be which is the most important thing in this game, also once into the game I struggled to tell the difference apart from not looking quite as sharp as PC.... did make me think do I really need a £1700 GPU :cry:
Yeah I have a Samsung Neo G9 5120x1440 Ultrawide so going back to the TV just felt a bit off to me. To be fair though you are right, visually WZ doesn't look bad at all on PS5, unfortunately my TV is locked to 60hz so don't get the 120fps option. I mainly played Armored Core 6, which I've just finished so can concentrate on Starfield now, so many good games coming over the next couple months, expensive times

Back
Top Bottom