• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Melted CableMod 4090 90 degree adapter

Associate
I'm a bit late to this party. But are there problems with the 4090 FE running undervolted, 80% power Limit, below 400w? I'm using the 12 pin connector that came with my Corsair Shift to connect the card. Plenty space in my case no sharp bends or lose connections. Are these melting issues mostly with AIB and people using large amounts of power? Got me paranoid now lol

Associate
I was wondering about that myself, esp as Nvidia revised the 4090 to max out at 1.05v instead of 1.1v.
The 4080s haven't had any cases of melting as far as I know and they draw up to 320W for the FE, maybe 350W I would guess for OC cards. The 4090 is up to 450W at stock so 80% should be around 360W so probably fine? Unfortunately "probably" is not really good enough when £1500-2000 GPUs' warranties are in question :rolleyes:

Caporegime
Something is wrong with these 12vhp sockets. its form over function, to get 450 watts of power out of the old 8 pin sockets requires 3 of them and they are twice the size each.

I get it, they are big, too big if you want a small PCB on a 450 watt GPU but these IMO are too small to handle the amount of current flowing through them, those properties have not changed from when the existing ones were designed and while they might be a bit overengineered they are that size for a reason.

Soldato
The 4080s haven't had any cases of melting as far as I know and they draw up to 320W for the FE, maybe 350W I would guess for OC cards. The 4090 is up to 450W at stock so 80% should be around 360W so probably fine? Unfortunately "probably" is not really good enough when £1500-2000 GPUs' warranties are in question :rolleyes:

There has been some 4080s too melting.

Caporegime
Seems Seasonic want you to heat up the 12VHPWR & 12v-2x6 with a hairdryer to bend the cable and try avoid it melting , not a band aid fix at all :cry:

https://videocardz.com/newz/seasoni...-12v-2x6-power-cables-for-geforce-rtx-40-gpus
image.png

;) :D :p

Associate
Late to this. Saw they'd been released ages ago but now recalled?

Are there any working reputable non melty variants from anyone else suitable for a 4090FE as mine is now vertical mounted and the cable looks a bit crap sticking out of the top. 1st world problem I know.

Soldato
Late to this. Saw they'd been released ages ago but now recalled?

Are there any working reputable non melty variants from anyone else suitable for a 4090FE as mine is now vertical mounted and the cable looks a bit crap sticking out of the top. 1st world problem I know.

I have the same card as you and ended up buying a cablemod 90 degree cable these don't seem to have the melting issue.

Associate
The whole thing is ridiculous... This is obviously a design flaw and the only acceptable solution would be a recall with no cost to the consumer, ideally with advanced replacement.
The only issue I've ever had with a component was the SATA issue with P67 and Intel stepped up and sorted it with the B3 revision to the chipset, Asus didn't give cross shipping but at least did replace it (at Intel's cost) with no cost to me. (the only cost to me was a couple of weeks downtime.)

The connector is obviously the issue and it could be sorted with either a new connector soldered to the PCB, or a re-worked PCB, which I'm sure would still leave them in profit (although not sure if the AIB would still be in profit without subsidisation from nV).

They ****** up and they need to step up and sort it out, as much as I think the 4090 is too much anyway, I could probably have justified it to myself by now if it wasn't for this issue. Most people would accept it if it meant buying a PSU with 3-4x8pin (or even 5-6 for extreme models!) connectors.

I don't want to say 'enthusiasts', as when I got in to PCs that didn't mean buying the highest tier product, but rather buying the mid tier product of the same die size and tweaking the best out of it, with YMMV in mind (had a q6600 and before that an 8500GT which I clocked the nuts off, got very close to an 8600!)

Back
Top Bottom