Memorable movie soundtracks

Associate
I re-watched Olympus Has Fallen last night. There was nothing of any interest in the main theme or incidental music that, even if I listened to the soundtrack straight afterwards, could identify that score as belonging to Olympus Has Fallen.

I couldn't tell you how the main theme to Inception goes, or Avatar, or The Shawshank Redemption, despite being good films.

So this got me thinking...

Which films do you consider having soundtracks (i.e. any of the music within the film, be it orchestral, electronic, certain parts, one track, all tracks, etc) that have truly stood out from the vast array of bland, formulaic musical scores that plague most Hollywood movies.

Star Wars, Superman, Raisers of The Lost Ark, Jaws, etc, etc all have instantly recognisable themes, but what soundtracks have stood out for you? They don't even have to be good (film or music!), just memorable in one way or another.

I'll start with The Terminator:
It partnered the film perfectly but I can't help feeling that although I love electronic music and bought the soundtrack, some of the incidental music fails to make the grade musically.

Beverly Hills Cop:
In particular Axel F. What a tune! I watched this at the cinema when it was released and still remember thinking how awesome it was. Not forgetting Glenn Frey's title track set to clips of street life in Detroit. Love it!

Escape From New York:
This just blew me away when I heard it. I recorded the film onto VHS and sat there with a tape recorder held up to the TV speaker so I could listen to it in my room! Again, not a masterpiece of musicality, but certainly unique enough.

The Thing:
From the very start this score conveys a sense of despair and futility, for me at least, and complements the film perfectly, Strangely though, it took years to get hold of the soundtrack, and when I did, I was very underwhelmed, it just didn't work without the film.

Blade Runner:
I'll openly admit that watching the beginning scene as the camera floats above the city makes the hairs on my arms stick up, it's just so evocative.

Last edited:
Soldato
The Last of The Mohicans:
Even today I can immediately recall the the under and overtures without even thinking about it. I get goosebumps.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly:
Minimalist but evocative well placed within the film, I mean who to this day cannot immediately recall the main theme :)

O Brother Where Art Thou:
A great use of quirky interpretations of US roots music of various genres all seamlessly intertwined into the cinematography.

Soldato
The Dredd soundtrack was excellent, ideally suited the tone of the movie and one of the few i've downloaded and can listen to outside of the movie.

Sunshine has also stayed with me over the years.

Soldato
Soundtracks, or Scores?
I understand the former is a list of songs featured, while the latter is the orchestral music composed for the film...

As for the list, I started one but it ended up being HUGE... Most of them, in both cases, were from the 80s, which probably says a lot about me!!

Soldato
Agree with the OP about Beverly Hills Cop soundtrack. Probably that as well as the Back to the Future franchise are probably the best off the top of my head.

Dropzone - great score, not a great movie! Actually almost everything by Hans Zimmer but depends if we’re talking scores or compilations.

Also Titanic score (don't judge me) was fantastic. A lot of good stuff by James Horner.

Last edited:
Soldato
Batman 89.

Elfman's score or Princes soundtrack, both are fantastic.

Beaten on topgun... ill take days of thunder. The main theme is so inspiring, great score throughout.

Soldato
Bruce Lee - Enter The Dragon - I've seen that film so many times that every time I hear the soundtrack, of which I Have a copy, I can visualise the scene it relates to.

Back
Top Bottom