Memory crashing system :/

Soldato
Hi Guys

Need your help!!!!
Put together a new rig today and everything is working fine apart from my RAM.

Its 64Gb (2x32Gb) of the Patriot Viper (https://www.overclockers.co.uk/patr...dual-channel-kit-pvs464g360c8k-my-109-pa.html) and it will not function properly at XMP1 or XMP2 profile.

Each time i select one of those profiles in the BIOS it boot loops the system and even when i do get in to windows it crashes.

Temps and everything is fine on all parts so no issues there.

The only time the PC doenst crash is when i disable XMP profiles but that is making the memory run at:

DRAM Freq - 1333.0Mhz
FSB/RAM - 3:40
CL - 20
tRCD - 19
tRP - 19
tRAS - 43
tRC- 62
CR - 1T

(info from CPU-Z)

Am i doing something wrong?

System:

MSi X570 Tomahawk Wifi (latest beta BIOS)
Ryzen 5600x running stock
Corsair RM750X
Radeon X460
Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
8Tb WD SATAII
Noctua NH-12a

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Associate
Ram in right slots a2+b2? you tried manually entering the timings and voltage? tried latest bios there were lots of reports of ram trouble on the launch bios's

Soldato
OP
If you set the frequency manually, just use the board defaults. I'd suggest setting 2933 @ 1.35v.

How do i set it manually?

I've noticed something.....
When my PC first comes on the DRAM light on the motherboard is on.
Then it reboots itself but this time no light is on and then i get the windows screen.

Its almost like its starting, notices there is an issue and then reboots again (most likley changes some settings) and then it comes on.

Some issue with memory?

Soldato
OP
Oh by the way, when I was doing my research I read that you do not need to connect the 4 pin CPU_PWR2 header as the 8 pin CPU_PWR1 (along with the ATX_PWR1) provides sufficient power and the 4-pin is only if you over clock.

Is that right?

Man of Honour
Oh by the way, when I was doing my research I read that you do not need to connect the 4 pin CPU_PWR2 header as the 8 pin CPU_PWR1 (along with the ATX_PWR1) provides sufficient power and the 4-pin is only if you over clock.

Is that right?

The extra 4 pin is for extreme overclocking overclocking so you should be fine.

Man of Honour
A little update:

Managed to get it steady so far at 3200Mhz running at 1.35V
Those are the only two settings I changed in the BIOS (Freq & Voltage). Is there anything else i should be changing?
The board defaults for timings are likely to be generous, so you could pull the timings out of the SPD (CPU-Z will show you, if they're available for 3200), but it won't make a big difference in performance, so personally I'd just make sure it's stable and leave it be.

Soldato
OP
The board defaults for timings are likely to be generous, so you could pull the timings out of the SPD (CPU-Z will show you, if they're available for 3200), but it won't make a big difference in performance, so personally I'd just make sure it's stable and leave it be.

Thanks. It's a shame I can't get it to 3600mhz as advertised.

Is Aida64 stress test for 2hrs good enough?

Soldato
i would RMA the ram if it cannot run advertised speeds. with 2 sticks of dual rank ram, you should be able to just load in XMP and get the system booted.

ram needs to be tested with memtest86

Man of Honour
i would RMA the ram if it cannot run advertised speeds. with 2 sticks of dual rank ram, you should be able to just load in XMP and get the system booted.

Wouldn't 64GB be more likely to cause issues though, particularly with sensitivity to timings, etc?

Soldato
OP

Ye I have started the RMA process.
Any suggestions for good ram that will work with MSI X570? Needs to be 2x32Gb sticks.

Maybe thinking VENGEANCE LPX 64GB (2X32GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C18 3600MHZ DUAL CHANNEL KIT (BLACK)
?

Soldato
124 dimm is configuration not dimm slots

so you can have a single stick, 2 sticks or all 4 sticks populating the respective number of dimm slots.

Back
Top Bottom