MemTest errors when CPU OC with Ryzen Master

Associate
Hi there!
Yes that does sound strange right?
I'm still testing my RAM/MB because of many problems I had making the XMP profile work, and the bios resetting by itself....

Problem of the day : I'm testing my Ram (quickly in Dram Calc), and get 1 or 2 errors after minutes, sometimes it takes much longer.

I was using Ryzen Master and the Automatic Setting.

I tried the normal config (PBO), ran MemTest : no error after the same test (ran it to 100% in Dram Calc).

Sounds strange, right? In the bios, I set everything back to Auto : XMP, and the rest on Auto for the Ram, just to be on the safe side.

I'll run the standalone MemTest this afternoon, without auto OC, and see what happens when I get back.

Have you ever heard of automatic OC by Ryzen Master making the Ram not working correctly?
I'm still trying to decide whether I return my CM or not, and I'm already spending too much time to my taste on this testing....

I'll report tonight, in the meantime if you have any idea why it's acting this way :)

Associate
OP
Ok :)
X570 Aorus Elite - bio F4L
3700X - cooler : NH-U12A
2x16 Go RAM : G.Skill Trident Z RGB (For AMD) F4-3200C16D-32GTZRX
1 Nvme P1 crucial with Win10
a few ssds and HDs

Associate
So to clarify, you have issues with it when you have the ram set as XMP?

What if you enter the primary timings / set the ram to the rated speed 3200mhz / stock volts manually?

Remember these BIOS revisions are still very new, they're still flushing out the bugs.

Associate
OP
I had such problems, yes, which seems gone now I flashed the bios again, and disabled CSM (if I'm correct, I'm not on my PC right now).

The actual problem is I've run MemTest (on Dram Calculator) quickly, to check everything was OK, I want to be sure if I need to RMA my CM.

And then I got 2 errors.
What I did change for my next test, was rebooting on Standard Config in Ryzen Master - I was at the time of the errors using the Automatic Overclock.
Now with the PBO settings, on a quick MemTest (still in Dram Calculator), no error.

As if the Auto OC of the CPU was creating errors.
So I was wondering if this was a common thing :) At the moment, MemTest (boot on USB key) is running, Standard Config in Ryzen Master, to check if it's OK. I'll let you know when I get back home, after 4 hours of MemTest. Next, I'll test again with the Automatic OC, during the night, to be sure that's what's creating the errors.

Associate
OP
I'm desperate.
I can't be so unlucky I've got two different sets of RAM (one Corsair, last one the Gskill mentionned) giving so many errors in MemTest...

Have a look at the results from this afternoon!!

https://ibb.co/8XzFtyD

lots of errors...
At this point I'm this close to send back the MB, and probably again the RAM.
What do you think? Can a bad MB be responsible for memory errors?

(Guess I should change the thread title, it's obviously not related to the automatic OC)

Last edited:
Soldato
Have you tried just doing it thru the BIOS? Also don't set XMP do it manually, are those kits on Gigabytes QVL list? You might not be able to get the speeds listed on the kits otherwise.

Associate
OP
This kit is on the list yes! At least if I remember correctly ^^

The Bios is so... Complicated, I'm trying one last thing : I didn't set xmp, but manually, and one thing I've changed : in the OC part, where Dram OC was set to Enable.
I set it to auto, no idea yet if that will change anything.

EDIT : doesn't change anything. If I can't get 250euros Ram Set to work to its supposed settings, that's it.

I'm sending it all back. I'm just wondering if I RMA the CPU as well.

Last edited:
Associate
Can you check the voltages it's setting for the CPU? Perhaps one is off and the IMC isn't getting what it needs.

If you run the ram at lower speeds does it all run fine?

Are you running the latest bios - F4J?
  1. Update AGESA 1.0.0.3 ABB
  2. Improve Destiny 2 gaming compatibility
  3. Improve XMP DDR compatibility

Associate
One of the reported issues with this board appears to be:

RAM voltage drops to 1.2v when setting CPU Multiplier

Have you tried setting the ram voltage manually?

Ram in slots A2 & B2?

Try disabling RGB fusion

Disable PBO whilst you're troubleshooting

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hello!
Yes last Bios (beta, L)
Voltage for cpu is normal when pbo active (boosting to 1.4).
Without pbo, it doesn't seem to go over 1.3 if I remember correctly.

Ram in good slots yeah, and voltage and main timings set manually.

My last test, running ATM, is memtest with PBO disabled (not on auto).

1h, no errors. (but timings not the best ones...)
Still running

I'm just wondering : if I can't even use pbo, what's the reason?
Bad cpu (I'll have a hard time getting this changed by amd), bad MB?

Associate
Early adoption woes most likely mate - I have no first hand experience with your ryzen series / motherboard but I read through various threads, most relevant was a gigabyte USA forum one.

I feel your pain, I jumped on the Ryzen 1xxx bandwagon and the 2xxx one and spent countless hours troubleshooting.

It should all get sorted with bios updates, there does appear to be quite a few issues but you only usually hear about the bad.

If it were me i'd leave PBO off, manually set the ram voltage and ram boot voltage *If applicable on this board to 1.35 if that matches your rams stock, ram speed to 3200 and set the primary timings to match your ram, leave rest on auto.

If stable, use that for now and keep an eye on the board bios updates / forums.

Here's one of the threads that had some half decent info in it: http://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/7098/x570-beta-bios-thread?page=3
*edit here's some more to have a look at http://forum.gigabyte.us/board/37/am4

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for your input!
I'm actually considering this... not used to buying/building PCs with new platforms, so not used to debugging....

I have the feeling MemTest will be OK this evening when I'm back home, and I'll be wondering what to do :)
Anyone knows which setting is 'ram boot voltage' on Gigabyte Bios? (I never touched that, only Ram V on 1.35 at the moment)

Associate
It's something you can perhaps keep in your mind - I only needed it when I was having cold boot issues, if you're not experiencing those then you can ignore.

Man of Honour
I'm reading through this thinking "The memory controller (IMC), is on the cpu..." why are you focusing on memory and the board rather than vddc/soc voltage of the cpu? Surely a small bump to soc voltage, a little bit of load line for memory and setting the correct memory voltage is all you need?

Associate
OP
I'm reading through this thinking "The memory controller (IMC), is on the cpu..." why are you focusing on memory and the board rather than vddc/soc voltage of the cpu? Surely a small bump to soc voltage, a little bit of load line for memory and setting the correct memory voltage is all you need?

No idea. First Amd CPU in ages, last CPU was Intel 3570K which I set on auto, except for the mhz (4.4 then 4.2)... So I'm not used to playing with CPU settings / voltage and all...

Moreover I'm discovering Gigabyte Bios (was on MSI before), so that's a lot to digest :)

Memory voltage I set on 1.35. (load line? I'm clueless here ;) ) (oh, might be because English isn't my mother tongue, and those terms change according to MB brands...)
CPU was on auto, I don't know yet how to set that on a 3700X....

Man of Honour
I just found THIS

Could it be, I could make it all work by setting the SOC to stock, at 1.1?
Can't wait to try and run another memtest :)

yes, SOC voltage to 1.15v, LLC (load line calibration) on vddc at around 3. Fire it up and goodbye memory errors. They are not a million miles away from Threadripper and with threadripper you need a bit of extra voltage to the soc for stable memory across many (8 dimms) at higher frequencies.

Associate
OP
I'll try that.
On gigabyte Bios, I've got

CPU vcore loadline calibration
Vcore soc loadline calibration

Which one do I boost?
Oh, and I can't choose a value, all I be got is 'standard, low, medium, high, turbo, extreme, and for CPU, ultra extreme.

Associate
OP
Oh boy, I just realized I got it wrong : I had set 16 18 18 36, where it should have been 38.
No idea if this much is enough to bring errors, but I still got them.

Last night of testing for me, if I still have errors tomorrow morning I'll send the MB back.

For now, I'm testing SOC to 1.5 and CPU loadline on High, vcore loadline on turbo.

We'll see the results tomorrow morning.

Edit : just applied last beta Bios - M before testing

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom