Men's make up

Soldato
"I have heard of your paintings too, well enough. God hath given you one face, and you make yourselves another"!

Aside from goths, actors, glam rock musicians and other associated music/film/stage performers, the only 'guys' I know who wear makeup are all a bit weird and somewhat questionable.... Michael Jackson, Russell Brand, Danny Dyer, for example.

dunno, the odd glam rocker was questionable, the guys i knew back in the day who wore it though never seemed to go home alone (no i mean with females)

Last edited:
Caporegime
My stance on this is firmly within the sentiment of this video:

:edit: also

Really? No reason whatsoever? None?

:edit2: also

I for one totally understand why people care about others, as I think everything matters and everything has an impact on everything else.

I do not. And thankfully it does seem we are moving away from this line of thinking. It is the reason for so much repression.

Like women expected to stay home while the man works.
Like dressing girls in pink and boys in blue.
Giving construction toys to boys while giving dolls and cooking sets to girls.

These judgemental views cause people to "fall into line" when it's present enough.

I'm very very pro choice in everything. And if you're offended by what someone wears, because they are a man, but it's fine for a woman to wear it? Or vice versa. Then you're going in for a lifetime of offence.

Its such an alien concept to me. I struggle to put myself in people's shoes who take issue at this.

I love variety, bold looks and self expression. I'd rather that than a culture where everyone conforms to a standard. That's only standard because at some point, it was probably forced on us.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Enlighten us
As a species females are selected for reproduction based on signs of genetic quality and fertility, which is almost entirely expressed through appearance. Obviously, makeup can do a good job of augmenting this. Male selection is also partly based on those elements, but these are overshadowed by the perception of the ability to control his environment, which is expressed through social status and access to resources. I think most would agree that makeup does not do a good job of augmenting this.

I do not. And thankfully it does seem we are moving away from this line of thinking. It is the reason for so much repression.

Like women expected to stay home while the man works.
Like dressing girls in pink and boys in blue.
Giving construction toys to boys while giving dolls and cooking sets to girls.

These judgemental views cause people to "fall into line" when it's present enough.

I'm very very pro choice in everything. And if you're offended by what someone wears, because they are a man, but it's fine for a woman to wear it? Or vice versa. Then you're going in for a lifetime of offence.

Its such an alien concept to me. I struggle to put myself in people's shoes who take issue at this.

I love variety, bold looks and self expression. I'd rather that than a culture where everyone conforms to a standard. That's only standard because at some point, it was probably forced on us.
May I present the concept of straw manning to you? It seems you are not aware of it, as you see to partake in it a great deal while acting about as holier than thou as I reckon is possible.

A tip: don't talk about kids when you know nothing about them. Anyone with kids knows your toys argument is absolutely laughable, and I'm afraid it results in your confidence:understanding ratio showing.

I never said I was offended, I just said things matter and found it funny that people state that there is no logical reason why makeup is a genderised (not a word but meh) thing.

Who are your arguing against in your last paragraph? Some imagined point?

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'll add it's taken me a long time to be me. And a lot of that is due to "conforming".

Basically being scared to express myself.

For me is only in fashion (or lack of lol). But for others, it's much more serious. Like hiding that you're lgbt+. It can have serious mental implications.

The sooner these views are broken down the better.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'll add it's taken me a long time to be me. And a lot of that is due to "conforming".

Basically being scared to express myself.

For me is only in fashion (or lack of lol). But for others, it's much more serious. Like hiding that you're lgbt+. It can have serious mental implications.

The sooner these views are broken down the better.

No. Thing being popular does not equal thing wrong, that's an extremely simplistic worldview. Although obviously there can be and are negatives in tradition there can also be and is wisdom. To reject everything in the blind pursuit of "progress" is to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Not everyone does the traditional thing because they're "conforming". Some people simply believe (they'd use the word "understand") that it's the right thing to do.

Soldato
At my last workplace i remember being in a men's conversation about moisturising and this was in-between premier league dream team talk (i have no idea) and how many threesomes have you had (i don't want to make you guys feel inadequate by answering this) times are changing

Soldato
Dated a girl that was a face of Just 17 magazine that enjoyed playing with my eyes, and I'd be a mug to not allow.

TBH She was OKAY, with make-up..

Caporegime
No. Thing being popular does not equal thing wrong, that's an extremely simplistic worldview. Although obviously there can be and are negatives in tradition there can also be and is wisdom. To reject everything in the blind pursuit of "progress" is to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Not everyone does the traditional thing because they're "conforming". Some people simply believe (they'd use the word "understand") that it's the right thing to do.

If people are happy that's absolutely fine.

Its the taking offence to others not conforming that I don't understand.

If someone is happy in a suit and tie and enjoys that... Absolutely fine.
If someone enjoys wearing makeup and leggings (half way thereI lol).. Also fine.

My sister for example is very much a traditional woman.
She has her kids, works a bit but is mainly a home body. She's happy. And I'm happy she's happy.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
If people are happy that's absolutely fine.

Its the taking offence to others not conforming that I don't understand.

If someone is happy in a suit and tie and enjoys that... Absolutely fine.
If someone enjoys wearing makeup and leggings (half way thereI lol).. Also fine.
Who are you arguing against?

Back
Top Bottom