Men's make up

Soldato
It’s called someone having an opinion. People have various opinions on various topics.

Of course, but I asked what was the internal feeling that motivated said person to voice a negative and judgemental opinion.

Our opinions are shaped by our feelings/moral stance/upbringing on certain subjects so to have negative and judgemental feelings (opinions) about a subject comes from somewhere, it's hardly controversial to say it comes from some form of perceived offense to the subject matter.

You may not like it but try not be offended. ;) ( but seriously your falling foul of your own definition of offended and you haven’t realised it)

Not at all, I just asked you a question, I haven't voiced anything negative or judgemental to you.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm always impressed with the level of motivation and planning required to use make up.

I struggle with a hair style and matching socks.

I’m the same. I can’t ever seem myself being arsed to stick make up on, even if it was all the rage and everyone was doing it.

There is a place for it if you’ve had a burns, scarring etc wearing it just for the sake of it seems an awful hassle to me. Each to their own though.

Soldato
Of course, but I asked what was the internal feeling that motivated said person to voice a negative and judgemental opinion.
Fair question to ask but impossible to answer over the internet. You do not know enough about posters to be able to accurately conclude their internal feelings and you never will.

Our opinions are shaped by our feelings/moral stance/upbringing on certain subjects so to have negative and judgemental feelings (opinions) about a subject comes from somewhere, it's hardly controversial to say it comes from some form of perceived offense to the subject matter.
The last bit is just wrong. Some people just don't like somethings, some people just do not see the value in something. Nothing to do with being "offended" (What ever that even means now).

Not at all, I just asked you a question, I haven't voiced anything negative or judgemental to you.
I was talking about the thread as a whole not your interaction with me.

OP asked people for their opinion on men wearing make up. People gave their opinions.

A certain number of people did not like the opinions that others expressed and have been abrasive towards them.

A certain number of people did not like the opinions that others expressed and have been abrasive towards them.

To be fair that happened in both directions. Zefan quoted two people taking to task their comments (in a fairly direct way).
Suggest you go back and read his post if you don't remember, as you appear not to have from your above comment.

Again, from my perspective (I don't care either way, and hence haven't posted to support or condemn) those who seemed to be anti this seemed to have the strongest reactions in this thread from the limited number of posters.

Soldato
Lads, the term is peacocking not peahening.

Yet the male peacock is bright and colourful and the female peahen is natural and dull…

It’s the same for most species that the male needs to be the one that stands out to attract mates and the female to bend in for protection.

I don’t wear makeup.. messed about with it for photos once or twice for other peoples projects. But males probably wear makeup for the same reason as females, to make themselves feel better because they think they look better… if it makes them happy and it’s not hurting or upsetting anyone then where’s the harm?

If a female went to a funeral completely dolled up, it would look more out of place than a bloke with black eye liner going to a rock concert, or someone on the battlefield wearing camouflage paint, a New Zealand rugby player with tribal war pant before a match…. I would consider all as makeup.

Caporegime
I thought it was already mainstream in the west?

Nearly half of the American voting public adore a man who wears it daily.

The same people think he's a strong, powerful manly man as well, so it doesn't appear to affect his image/persona with them at all.

Seems like it is very accepted, at least across the pond.

Trump-face.jpg

0-US-Republican-presidential-candidate-Donald-Trump-speaks-at-a-campaign-rally-where-New-Jersey-Gove.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
To be fair that happened in both directions. Zefan quoted two people taking to task their comments (in a fairly direct way).
Suggest you go back and read his post if you don't remember, as you appear not to have from your above comment.

Again, from my perspective (I don't care either way, and hence haven't posted to support or condemn) those who seemed to be anti this seemed to have the strongest reactions in this thread from the limited number of posters.
Except I was specifically talking about the people who have been calling or implying that people are offended by others wearing makeup. While not realising that their own actions and by their own definition they would also be classified as being "offended"

:edit: also

Really? No reason whatsoever? None?

:edit2: also
I for one totally understand why people care about others, as I think everything matters and everything has an impact on everything else.

Hold up... Are you seriously characterising these two post as him "taking them to task"
That's an exaggeration of what actually happened..

Except I was specifically talking about the people who have been calling or implying that people are offended by others wearing makeup. While not realising that their own actions and by their own definition they would also be classified as being "offended"

Hold up... Are you seriously characterising these two post as him "taking them to task"
That's an exaggeration of what actually happened..

Ok I am out, I cannot be bothered by having to debate what every word in English means with you.
You go you.

Soldato
Men wearing make up has zero affect on anyone other than the person wearing the make up.

General rules for life:

1. Do what ever the hell you like if it makes your happy.
2. Only do rule #1 if it doesn't negatively impact anyone (including animals/nature) else.
3. Be as kind as possible.

There really is nothing else more to living a simple life.

Soldato
Don't see any issue with it if it makes someone happy.

Same. I'm not sure why anyone would care. I am always a little horrified when I see men wearing loads of makeup, but I'm equally horrified when I see women wearing loads of makeup.

I have a male cousin who wears a bit of make up. In many ways, he's somewhat androgynous, but he's straight. It's his choice to look like that. I will admit that it annoys me some time, but that's because I don't think he's true to himself and he's doing it for attention, and I can't be ****** with that.

Caporegime
Same. I'm not sure why anyone would care. I am always a little horrified when I see men wearing loads of makeup, but I'm equally horrified when I see women wearing loads of makeup.

I have a male cousin who wears a bit of make up. In many ways, he's somewhat androgynous, but he's straight. It's his choice to look like that. I will admit that it annoys me some time, but that's because I don't think he's true to himself and he's doing it for attention, and I can't be ****** with that.

Yeh, too much make up on anyone just looks a bit silly. I mean, I don't mind people doing what they want, but thick plastered on make up isn't a look that I find appealing/attractive at all. Unless you are starring in a theatre production in a big theatre, there really isn't any need for it.

Last edited:
Soldato
People can do what they like as long as it's not harming others imo. Wear those leggings, put that make up on, trim that ear and nose hair.
Live and let live.

Caporegime
People can do what they like as long as it's not harming others imo. Wear those leggings, put that make up on, trim that ear and nose hair.
Live and let live.

Leggings replacing jeans as the bottoms of choice for women in recent times is certainly good societal progress.

Last edited:
Soldato
1st men's make up and now the handbags are coming ou

well if you need to carry a 5"+ appendagetabletphone around with you, unless you have specially adapted clothing/jeans? you need a bag or holster.

make up not needed if you spend your life online - tik-tok has had (had had?) a default beautification filter for several years (r4 interview with deepmind guy/seulaman earlier in week )

Soldato
We didn't need clothes either when we lived in Africa.
Are you ok?

The point he was trying to make is that we should love ourselves and not feel the need to cover ourselves in paste to try and make us look completely like something else, because most people who do wear makeup is for that exact reason and complete lack of self love for their appearance, which is different to as a society wearing clothes now.

If you don't have that level of self love, I hope you find it. Your point on everyone having a choice; yes, they do. It's just sad that we have reached this level in society that people feel the need to be "be themselves"

Soldato
I wouldn't do it but if makes someone feel better, have at it. Mind you, I can't promise I wont find it hilarious. Same as when I see guys with painted nails, it makes me chuckle but ultimately it's harmless.

Though, I religiously moisturise and I also wear lip balm in the winter so there is that.

Back
Top Bottom