Men's make up

Soldato
Fair question to ask but impossible to answer over the internet. You do not know enough about posters to be able to accurately conclude their internal feelings and you never will.

The last bit is just wrong. Some people just don't like somethings, some people just do not see the value in something. Nothing to do with being "offended" (What ever that even means now).

I was talking about the thread as a whole not your interaction with me.

OP asked people for their opinion on men wearing make up. People gave their opinions.

A certain number of people did not like the opinions that others expressed and have been abrasive towards them.

I feel you're dancing on the head of a pin somewhat here, you don't like the word "offended" in this usage, which is why I genuinely asked what word would you use.

I'll try and put my point across with examples.

Someone says "I think the front grill on the new BMWs looks great" - now I don't and would voice my opinion as such, but I understand it's just purely an opinion based on subjective aesthetic preferences and in no way would lead me to make negative and judgemental comments about their character, because it doesn't upset/offend/cause any negative emotion in me.

Someone says "I think animal cruelty should be legal" - I don't and would voice my opinion again but this time the concept they are discussing does cause me upset/offence/negative emotions and would more than likely lead me to make negative and judgemental comments about them.

So if a guy says "I like to wear make-up" - I don't, but I am totally indifferent to the concept of men wearing make-up, it's caused me no "offense" so I make no negative or judgemental comments on their character.

So when you see people make comments like
Only a certain type of men wear make up......
Get called a bit of a **** ?

It's poncy as hell (nothing to do with sexual orientation). Be a real man, the only 'make up' acceptable is a smear of oil from fixing your motorbike, or a splash of blood from your enemies. Seriously tho, make up on men is gaaaaaay!

It's opinions they have that are derived from not being indifferent about the subject, so they find it.....[blankety blank].....which is why they voice negative opinions and judgements.

And I've just asked you what you'd prefer in the [Blankety blank] than "offended" :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour
People can do what they like as long as it's not harming others imo. Wear those leggings, put that make up on, trim that ear and nose hair.
Live and let live.
I presume this extends to take any and all drugs, build guns in your garage, have opinions that constitute "hate crimes" and don't bottle them up?

Last edited:
Associate
My mornings are nice and simple
Get up
Coffee
Poop
Shower
Get dressed
Leave for work.

To hell with spending an extra 30mins putting slap on my face. With my face, no amount of makeup will work anyway :p

Permabanned
Lets face it, most women look like mingers without make up.
:cry:

IMG-3067.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
you don't like the word "offended" in this usage, which is why I genuinely asked what word would you use.
I think it is an overused word that has lost all meaning and is thrown around more like an ad-hominem rather than actual descriptor of a situation. That is my actual opinion of the usage of the word "offended".
I guess you could say I am offended when people misuse words:D

I feel you're dancing on the head of a pin somewhat here, you don't like the word "offended" in this usage, which is why I genuinely asked what word would you use.

I'll try and put my point across with examples.

Someone says "I think the front grill on the new BMWs looks great" - now I don't and would voice my opinion as such, but I understand it's just purely an opinion based on subjective aesthetic preferences and in no way would lead me to make negative and judgemental comments about their character, because it doesn't upset/offend/cause any negative emotion in me.

Someone says "I think animal cruelty should be legal" - I don't and would voice my opinion again but this time the concept they are discussing does cause me upset/offence/negative emotions and would more than likely lead me to make negative and judgemental comments about them.

So if a guy says "I like to wear make-up" - I don't, but I am totally indifferent to the concept of men wearing make-up, it's caused me no "offense" so I make no negative or judgemental comments on their character.

So when you see people make comments like

It's opinions they have that are derived from not being indifferent about the subject, so they find it.....[blankety blank].....which is why they voice negative opinions and judgements.

And I've just asked you what you'd prefer in the [Blankety blank] than "offended" :p

You separate opinion and judgement, but when talking about actions that people take naturally having an opinion on it, will include a judgement. Go see montymints post on the first page. He expresses an opinion on this and gives a judgement and how people who wear make up feel. Judgements are not exclusively reserved for when people have a negative opinion on something.

As for the example posts you gave, they are just people expressing their opinions. That's all it is.

Someone who is truly indifferent to a topic wouldn't have an opinion on it. If you were truly indifferent on the concept of men wearing make up, you wouldn't have an opinion and you most certainly wouldn't give a **** about the posts you quoted. An indifferent person would have popped their head into the topic realised they don't care and then never return.

Associate
Incredible...

Yes I would definitely have an opinion on someone who did. It's most definitely their right to be able to do what they want but it doesn't mean I wouldn't be like.....wtf

But then again it's easy for me to say I've got good skin so I understand if you have a mental block due to whatever then its fair.

Man of Honour
What?

He said:

How would any of what you've suggested mean that?
Does taking drugs, building weapons (note I did not day using them) and not lying about your opinions in conversation (note I did not say acting on them) harm others? The point is that the concept of "harming others" has no objective meaning, and goes back to my previous comment about everything mattering and everything impacting everything else.

Caporegime
Does taking drugs, building weapons (note I did not day using them) and not lying about your opinions in conversation (note I did not say acting on them) harm others? The point is that the concept of "harming others" has no objective meaning, and goes back to my previous comment about everything mattering and everything impacting everything else.

There has to be a point where it does/doesn't impact.

And it will always be grey.

Having a pee behind a bush is fine by me. But others it would irk.

I'd say if you're affected by someone's clothing you're probably going to be by many many things.

Where as most people would be affected by walking around with a gun.

Generally the laws are pretty good in this respect at acting as a proxy for where things should and shouldn't be acceptable.

Ie. Therea no law about wearing makeup/drag etc. But some establishments won't let you in.
Whereas walking around with a gun will net you a prison sentence.
Peeing behind a bush.. No idea actually. Outdoors everyone does it. But in a city it's different, although people still do.

Permabanned
How did you get any of that from wearing makeup?

Reactions: RxR
Back
Top Bottom