Men's Olympic Football Tournament ** spoilers **

Caporegime
Japan were almost brilliant, workrate and closing down was second to none and a lot of their passing was very very good but they should have won that game about by 4-5 goals. If their finishing doesn't improve it won't matter if they can put in the same performance over and over again, they'll just not score enough.

Great to watch and great that they won, if Spain had stolen it at the end I'd have been majorly pee'd off. Spain though, what a joke, its not that I've never seen a team caught in defence so much though I don't think I haven't. Its that after 30 minutes of being caught in defence constantly, the midfield kept passing to the defence and De gea kept playing it out to them with short passes. Here's a hint, the cb's were epically awful, the replacement cb after the red cards were awful, stop giving it to awful players.

They also got clearly frustrated and to me appeared to kick out on several occassions and I can't quite decide if that was a deliberate stamp on the guy right at the end, I think it was.

However, just as much as people were claiming Spain to be favourites without the vast majority of people ever really watching the under 21's, Brazil have a side that on paper looks good, doesn't mean they'll play brilliantly with each other or make a good team. Japan most importantly, more than quality, looked a team, team GB has the problem that this squad hasn't played together almost at all, they aren't a team, its just a bunch of players. A good "team" with less good players could easily win against a squad of great players that aren't a team.

Spain's older side wins because its both great players AND a great practiced, established team.

Back
Top Bottom