Mercedes AMG A35 or current A45

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
The Fiesta ST is probably more fun than any of them really and I bet on country roads you won't get much quicker :)

Yea there's a limit to how fast you can drive safely on UK country roads. You'd have to be driving like a loon to lose something like a Fiesta ST even if you had double the power.

Soldato
Yea there's a limit to how fast you can drive safely on UK country roads. You'd have to be driving like a loon to lose something like a Fiesta ST even if you had double the power.

Without a Catterham or something similar, you probably still couldn't. It's too nimble and has no issues putting all of it's power down.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Exactly, so we have established we cannot lose a Fiesta ST on the back roads, so at least with a 400bhp quattro we can leave them for dust on other roads and feel less salty :D

Soldato
OP
I don’t really have many days to spend playing in the twistys :(

It’s mainly a commuter and something that is far away from the pick up I drive all day at the moment.

And needs to be able to house the little dog in the boot

Man of Honour
A drive in the current Civic Type R reminded me how much fun a well sorted hot hatch can be and how real world a quick as anything out there frankly.

Don
The A45 is a great car; however it suffers with only one real problem - it's too grippy. This tends to lead to understeer when pushing on. In terms of usability, it's great. It can be reasonably economical on long journeys (35mpg), and in comfort mode it's generally a sedate ride. In sports mode it can be quite trashy - but without being too bad.

I haven't yet driven an A35 and it's not on my list to drive - I'm awaiting to the A45s, which I'll then probably upgrade my A45 too (as it has a better setup and ability to oversteer rather than understeer).

Any particular questions, fire away. I have a 2017 A45 from new. With Sports Exhaust, Aero Package, plus a tonne of other options.

Man of Honour
I do find and this is not scientific, that 135i/140i and A45's often tend to be the most agressively driven cars by people (read yoof) who need to show their manhood more than any other car. On several occasions I look in my mirror to see one rushing to catch up or when alongside they seem to pick up the pace instantly. Don't be that guy please, it's tiresome. :)

Don
I do find and this is not scientific, that 135i/140i and A45's often tend to be the most agressively driven cars by people (read yoof) who need to show their manhood more than any other car. On several occasions I look in my mirror to see one rushing to catch up or when alongside they seem to pick up the pace instantly. Don't be that guy please, it's tiresome. :)

I drive mine reasonably aggressive; But within the law! I don't undertake, swap lanes without indication etc; but I do tend to drive fast. It's hard not too in a capable car I tend to find.

Man of Honour
I drive mine reasonably aggressive; But within the law! I don't undertake, swap lanes without indication etc; but I do tend to drive fast. It's hard not too in a capable car I tend to find.
I think driving quickly and being a pain in the ass can be mutually exclusive. I drive mine 'fast' often, but I try not to accelerate when people overtake me, 'compete' with any car that wants some, drive 5 inches from the bumper of the car in front, swerve across lanes JUST so I can get in front (best in the mind of the putz) the car I see as my challenge to manhood.

Soldato
Soldato
I think driving quickly and being a pain in the ass can be mutually exclusive. I drive mine 'fast' often, but I try not to accelerate when people overtake me, 'compete' with any car that wants some, drive 5 inches from the bumper of the car in front, swerve across lanes JUST so I can get in front (best in the mind of the putz) the car I see as my challenge to manhood.
I imagine these car owners don't come across quicker cars often, so have to prove they aren't just a 116d or A180 etc when they see an R8

Man of Honour
I imagine these car owners don't come across quicker cars often, so have to prove they aren't just a 116d or A180 etc when they see an R8
It's the fact they have to prove that's the problem. We never really did that in our day, we sort of watched with open mouths. We knew the other cars were better, we had nothing we could prove. :)

I'm some old bloke in a sports car, what does it matter. :D

Soldato
Should have clarified that the current C63 Coupé is the looker.

The difference at this budget is choosing between a turbo 4 pot and a naturally aspirated 6.2L V8. I don’t think the OP’s budget would quite stretch to the twin turbo 4L V8. Also AWD vs RWD.

Quite different prospects!

lol, the old shape C63 is quite dated in the looks department / very old interior / slower than the A45 (2015).

Man of Honour

STs I find to be the worst. Everytime I go to overtake I know they are going to try to gun it. They are free to try I guess.

Soldato
This may be true for the prefacelift RS but the facelift has significant heft removed from the engine along with slightly wider tracks etc. It reviews as keeping up with A45 dynamically & then you have that fantastic 5 pot engine over the RS/A45 farty 4 pots

The RS3 understeers far more than the A45. Also you're talking the prior gen RS3 at £40k (not the current gen).

A45 is the quicker car on track:

Hockenheim 1:13.5 (A45) vs 1:14.5 (RS3)

Circuit de Nevers Magny-Cours Club 1:25.6 (A45) vs 1.26.4 (RS3)

Don

Agreed :)

Man of Honour
The RS3 is rapid in a straight line. Around the bends it becomes typical Audi. Understeer, numb, bobbins.

I have driven them on road and track, crappy things, fast, but crappy.

Type-R back to back to see the difference between right and wrong, but you will need some bends.

Don
The RS3 is rapid in a straight line. Around the bends it becomes typical Audi. Understeer, numb, bobbins.

I have driven them on road and track, crappy things, fast, but crappy.

Type-R back to back to see the difference between right and wrong, but you will need some bends.

Ever driven a A45 or A35? Interested to hear your opinion on them.

Back
Top Bottom