Merge in turn vigilantes

Transmission breaker
Don
I just laugh at them safe in the knowledge that my volvo cares not if it get another ding from them not letting me in :p

Its suprising how quickly they give in when your car's are on a colision course :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I posted a few months back that I nearly had an accident as a result of one of these. Driving down the outside some 800 yards from the merge point and he lunges his van out into my carriageway to block me. I ended up, literally, IN the gravel at the central reservation, with him hurling abuse at me.

Soldato
OP
Well I had just had it happen to me twice in the same unnesessarily long queue, hah! :p

First a Mondeo pulls out, who I swerve around... then some dopey women in a Astra pulls out (she was almost at the front of the queue :confused: why? just why?) and blocks me. I could have gone round but I was already as far as I was going to get, hah. She kept looking at me in her wing mirror, so I give a few non-offensive gestures then she says '**** you' so she naturally gets it returned.

Oddly I overtake the same women on the next dual carriage way and she doesn't even give a glance or care in any way that I'm "overtaking" her...

:D

Soldato
OP
I know it won't change. I just think it would be nice if the Cambridgeshire council put up some 'Merge in turn' signs. This happens pretty much every day when everyone's coming home from work. It's just an accident waiting to happen.

The A1307 has already had 2 deaths in the past 2 weeks, coupled with numerous little make-shift flower rememorials from 10's of fatalities over the years greeting passing motorists. Something needs to be done about this entire stretch of road IMO, it's ridiculous. Not to mention my little incident with an ambulance a week ago.

Soldato
It annoys them more if you are in a Skoda :D. Especially the School Run Mums in BMW X5s. I usually just drive around them and leave a cloud of soot.

My all time favourite was a bloke in a Honda CR-V on the M8 in the middle of Glasgow. It was late on a Sunday night and they were doing roadworks. He was driving slowly across the middle and outside lanes to stop people getting past with 800 yards to go. I drove round him using the Central reservation kerb and pulled into the newly appeared 50yard gap in front of him. Cue a lot of flashing of headlights and angry Scottish swearing. :D

Soldato
I drive on though them, if they want to try it on with me thats their issue.
my insurance bonus is worth a HELL of a lot less than theirs I'll bet!

Transmission breaker
Don
The_Dark_Side said:
merging in turn is one thing, but I have no problem at all blocking some merchant banker who is purely trying to leave it until the last possible moment to cut in.

Your supposed to merge at the merge point, which is, unless im mistaken, at the last possible moment?!

Soldato
It is amazing, I was coming up to some lights which are red. 8 cars in the left lane, none in the right so I moved accross to the right nice and early. I was just starting to break when they started changing to green, so I just accelerate back up to 40 again. Wehn the lane merges about 100m down the road I got loads fo flashing from the guy at the front. :confused: So I am not allowed to make good progress just because no one goes in the right hand lane? Whats the point having that lane if no one uses it.

Soldato
Malt_Vinegar said:
Your supposed to merge at the merge point, which is, unless im mistaken, at the last possible moment?!

Correct.

The fact that nobody in front of you is doing it and you get straight to the front of the queue is their own stupid fault.

Soldato
Can somebody just clarify what this merge-in thing is?

Is it what I think it is? e.g. 2 lanes on an dual carridgeway, one lane closed up ahead, so everybody has to move into one lane?

If so then when I merge is dependent on the size of the queue. Not much traffic then i'll do it fairly early. But if its chronic then I will merge at about 200 yards. Always a bit scared to leave it till the last minute!

Associate
NathanE said:
I know it won't change. I just think it would be nice if the Cambridgeshire council put up some 'Merge in turn' signs.

Makes no difference, signs or not.

Have two clearly sign posted on my daily commute, & still get the prats getting arsey when I quite correctly follow this.

**** them I say as I sail on by ;)

Soldato
OP
Merge in turn is (or rather, should be...) performed where ever you have multiple lanes of traffic trying to converge onto a single lane.

It is most efficient for motorists to use all available lanes and then merge on a "turn by turn", i.e. left car then a right car, then a left car again.

So whenever you see a long line of sheep, er.. cars, and an empty lane to the right you know what is bound to (probably not) be happening at the front of the queue.

As a word of warning to new drivers, always slow right down - even if the lane is completely clear... otherwise you might rear end somebody who doesn't understand basic driving skills.

Soldato
Raider said:
Can somebody just clarify what this merge-in thing is?

Forgive the crude drawing, but something like this.

Amoungst other things, it means the queue will be about half the length compared with people just using one lane, which means less of a chance of it affecting the flow of traffic at junctions/roundabouts etc behind the queue.

merge_140.gif

Associate
I have a mentality when I'm in the disco...

"I'm getting in, no matter what."

Put it this way, people don't want to argue with 3.5 tonnes of moving steel.

Back
Top Bottom