Merge in turn vigilantes

Soldato
OP
Well I had just had it happen to me twice in the same unnesessarily long queue, hah! :p

First a Mondeo pulls out, who I swerve around... then some dopey women in a Astra pulls out (she was almost at the front of the queue :confused: why? just why?) and blocks me. I could have gone round but I was already as far as I was going to get, hah. She kept looking at me in her wing mirror, so I give a few non-offensive gestures then she says '**** you' so she naturally gets it returned.

Oddly I overtake the same women on the next dual carriage way and she doesn't even give a glance or care in any way that I'm "overtaking" her...

:D

Soldato
OP
I know it won't change. I just think it would be nice if the Cambridgeshire council put up some 'Merge in turn' signs. This happens pretty much every day when everyone's coming home from work. It's just an accident waiting to happen.

The A1307 has already had 2 deaths in the past 2 weeks, coupled with numerous little make-shift flower rememorials from 10's of fatalities over the years greeting passing motorists. Something needs to be done about this entire stretch of road IMO, it's ridiculous. Not to mention my little incident with an ambulance a week ago.

Soldato
OP
Merge in turn is (or rather, should be...) performed where ever you have multiple lanes of traffic trying to converge onto a single lane.

It is most efficient for motorists to use all available lanes and then merge on a "turn by turn", i.e. left car then a right car, then a left car again.

So whenever you see a long line of sheep, er.. cars, and an empty lane to the right you know what is bound to (probably not) be happening at the front of the queue.

As a word of warning to new drivers, always slow right down - even if the lane is completely clear... otherwise you might rear end somebody who doesn't understand basic driving skills.

Soldato
OP
The_Dark_Side said:
we may have to agree to disagree on our respective definitions of good practice and good driving if the following is a typical
example of your everyday attitude on the road.

hmm.
That's hardly anywhere near as dangerous as what you do...

The_Dark_Side said:
but I have no problem at all blocking some merchant banker who is purely trying to leave it until the last possible moment to cut in.

Soldato
OP
They don't need explaining. Pulling out in front of somebody going several times faster than you is always going to be a dangerous maneovour- whether they are flash git or not. It's not unreasonable to think you could catch somebody off guard and cause an accident - or perhaps worse cause them to panic and swerve into, say, pedestrians or other cars.

Soldato
OP
The_Dark_Side said:
i thought the original post detailed my actions perfectly clearly.
IMHO i've neither retracted, modified or clarifed anything since posting the following:-
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=7881423&postcount=63

:confused:
Your original comment: "but I have no problem at all blocking some merchant banker who is purely trying to leave it until the last possible moment to cut in." Compare that to what you are saying now and it's completely different.

Back
Top Bottom