Poll: Merge in turn - why does nobody get it?

Who was in the right?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really unless everyone advertises their IQ around the car. That's just inconvenient, my system is better and also has proven to work in places like Thailand, Hong Kong etc.

Everyone else has managed to get in lane.

It frustrates me so much that people fly down empty lanes in these sort of situations and then expect to be let in. It's not the incorrect merge that annoys me, it's just people's sense of entitlement on the roads.

Kudos to the driver for slowing him down, I'd have probably gotten out.

Oh dear.. you need to drop the 'letting them in' mentality. They are not being 'let in', they are simply merging into the lane.

Everyone else has managed to get in lane.

It frustrates me so much that people fly down empty lanes in these sort of situations and then expect to be let in. It's not the incorrect merge that annoys me, it's just people's sense of entitlement on the roads.

Kudos to the driver for slowing him down, I'd have probably gotten out.

I can't recall the last time I read something as wrong as this on the internet.

If you aren't allowed to use the empty lane there'd be cones there restricting you from doing so.

Go and read the highway code.

Merge in turn, the merge point is where the cones start to filter into one lane.

Jesus ****ing christ.

That's fine, however as demonstrated by this Mercedes driver, he's steaming down the empty lane so that he can get ahead of everybody else that have (rightly or wrongly) already moved across.

Anyone can easily see from that video that he isn't just making progress in the empty lane, he's gunning it to skip the queue.

The fact he's tried to cut down the hard shoulder just shows how impatient he is!

That's fine, however as demonstrated by this Mercedes driver, he's steaming down the empty lane so that he can get ahead of everybody else that have (rightly or wrongly) already moved across.

Anyone can easily see from that video that he isn't just making progress in the empty lane, he's gunning it to skip the queue.

The fact he's tried to cut down the hard shoulder just shows how impatient he is!

Hand in your license (if you have one.)

But he's not skipping the queue though is he? He's using an available lane for whatever reason other people don't want to use.

And he's moving into the hard shoulder because some **** in a Renault has just pulled out in front of him and trying to stop him from doing what the highway code allows you to do.

I had a HGV do this at knutsford. Only he swerved into lane 3 (naughty naughty) I didn't have time to slow down so he took the side of my van out.

We also get this all the time at the end of the M58. its funny when someone blocks the outside and your in a 2 car convoy so you then with the help of a mate block him from coming back in.

But he's not skipping the queue though is he? He's using an available lane for whatever reason other people don't want to use.

And he's moving into the hard shoulder because some **** in a Renault has just pulled out in front of him and trying to stop him from doing what the highway code allows you to do.

Matter of perception, however easily looks to be intent on getting past the queue in that video rather than just making progress.

Matter of perception, however easily looks to be intent on getting past the queue in that video rather than just making progress.

No.

By your logic, if you're coming off at a motorway junction you should wait for a few miles in the inside lane doing 40mph behind a bunch of traffic rather than overtaking in either of the other free lanes because and then moving back to the inside lane.

He's using a valid, open lane and is making progress because everyone else doesn't know how to merge and use the available lanes.

Last edited:
Another case of if you've been undertaken you're in the wrong lane.

Why on earth would you choose to sit in a queue?

Both lane's are available, use them, that's what they're for....to be used!

Crap, I accidentally voted for the wrong bloody one, was meant to click in support of the A-Class driver :mad:

There's nothing to "agree" with here, the rule is merge in turn, plain and simple. The Renault driver (along with the majority of those on our roads for a plethora of reasons) should have their license revoked, simple. Disgusting behaviour.

A quote from "Advanced & Performance Driving by Reg Local

If there is a lane closure ahead, the best approach is to merge-in-turn by which I mean that if you're in the closing lane, you should drive up to the taper (the diagonal line of cones used to close the lane) and then merge in a "zip| fashion with the vehicles in the open lane.

The is a key advantage to merging in turn, in that all the vehicles approaching the roadworks will stay in the lane right up to the lane closure

This means that any tailback caused by the roadworks is kept to a minimum because the slow-moving and stationary vehicles are spread across all available lanes, right up to the roadworks.

There is, however, a major problem margin in turn.

People don't like it.

By which I mean that there is a general misunderstanding about merging in turn which is held by the majority of drivers. It goes against our traditional British propensity for queuing. Those in the open lane feel like those in the closing lane are "pushing in". Some will shake their heads in a disapproving manner. Other will glue themselves to the bumper of the car in front to prevent you from merging in front of them whilst maintaining the "I haven't seen you" straight-ahead stare.

The worse ones (and this particularly includes HGV drivers, who as professional drivers, should know better) will deliberately block the closing lane well ahead of the taper, forcing vehicles to back up behind them and preventing merge-in-turn

Now I'll be honest. I'm very stereotypical British and therefore will queue a little longer than I should do... but this is mainly because the road is full of stupid people who want to block you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom