Merkur Razor

Associate
No idea what the 38 is coated with but last I read "Merkur Razors are designed with stainless steel and a single razor blade for a close and comfortable shave based on the balance provided by the razor handle." (taken from the MANKIND website)

E-mail the Gentlemans Shop, they are quite helpfull and am sure they will answer this question for you. whatever coating they use it is durable and cleans up nicely.

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I've got a Merkur 34, and some Israeli blades.

Bought after the suggestions made in the "Spec me a razor" thread, and it's been amazing. Actually, this reminds me to buy some decent soap.. I'm still using my foam-in-a-can :(

Associate
I've got a Merkur 34, and some Israeli blades.

Bought after the suggestions made in the "Spec me a razor" thread, and it's been amazing. Actually, this reminds me to buy some decent soap.. I'm still using my foam-in-a-can :(

I had to go back to my Mach 3 recently just for speed in a Hotel and even using that with decent soap it is way better than the goo in a can, so if you have never shaved with decent soap then you are in for a surprise. Apparently Gillette gel (and others) contains a mild anaesthetic which means it feels so smooth because the skin is slightly numb. First shave I had with real soap was a bit scary, you can actually feel the steel against your skin and this is a bit unnerving at first, but it lets you feel just how much pressure you are applying and it doesn’t clog up the razor as much.

After a few months I switched back to the gel for one shave as a comparison. I concluded if I had to loose the DE razor or soap it would be the razor. You can actually get a really good shave with a Mach 3 and real soap.

This is a nice one to start with
http://www.gentlemans-shop.com/acatalog/GFT_Rose_Shaving_Cream_Pot.html#a545

or this is another favourite of mine
http://www.gentlemans-shop.com/acatalog/GFT_Sandalwood_Shaving_Cream_Pot.html#a542

Also get a decent brush, it makes all the difference.

Last edited:
Associate
Well, I've settled for the brushed chrome Futur.

Thanks for the advice on this thread from everyone.

:)

Good Man, there will be times when you think "Is this worth it?" but perservere because it really is. Using Mach 3's I had to skip a day shaving once a week or I would develop a rash on my neck. Using a DE razor and decent soap I can shave every day with no irritation or rash. For me it is almost like a ritual I look forward to in the morning and I was one who hated shaving before.

Caporegime
Yeah, I am using a straight razor at the moment, with a Mach 3 to tidy up. Now I want the Futur to replace the Mach 3 so that I have a truly old school shaving kit.

I have the same problem with rashes and Mach 3s btw.

Associate
Yeah, I am using a straight razor at the moment, with a Mach 3 to tidy up. Now I want the Futur to replace the Mach 3 so that I have a truly old school shaving kit.

I have the same problem with rashes and Mach 3s btw.

Not just me then, I used to use a Mach 3 to tidy up around the chin area. Now I do not need it at all, took a lot of practise to get the ackward areas right but got it sorted now.

Caporegime
Well, I ended up buying a Merkur Futur 700, and I love it! Fantastic weight; I hardly have to press the razor against my skin. No more razor burn either; but I am now getting a rash from tight-fitting collars. :(

The ability to change the angle of the blade is terrific; I use #3 for the overall shave, and #6 to tidy up around my mouth/chin. My Merkur came with 10 Merkur blades, and the shop threw in 30 Israeli blades for free as a bonus. :cool:

This razor looks, feels and performs like a champion. Many thanks for the recommendation. :)

Soldato
ok, so ive just a a shave with

http://www.wilkinsonsword.co.uk/men/showroom/classic

Its cheap £3.99 from boots. i got i becuase i wanted to try a DE shave right now.

I've used one of those for a year or so now and I'm very happy with it. I find it much easier to be precise then a multiblade razor. Plus if you do cut your self you don't look like you've been attacked by a mini Wolverine. Also getting 100 blades for £10 rocks (I really should get out more).

As for shaving against the grain. Not recommended, although you can get a close shave it tends to irritate the skin more.

Soldato
As for shaving against the grain. Not recommended, although you can get a close shave it tends to irritate the skin more.

After a few months of my razor i can now shave against the grain fine.

Have decided that the blades that suits me best is the "7am".

This gives me a really close and smooth shave with 3 passes :D

Andy

Soldato
I got quite carried away reading this thread! Following Scuzi's advice I tried to get a Merkur 34C but it was out of stock most places. Where it was in stock I couldn't get the blades I fancied. In the end I settled for a 34G and bought this lot from Connaught:

Crystal (Super + Platinum) Razor Blades (10-pack x 5 (50 blades))
Merkur 34G Safety Razor (Merkur 34G only)
Vulfix Piccadilly - Pure Bristle (Vulfix Piccadilly + Brush Stand)
Connaught Shaving Soap - Eucalyptus & Mint 120g

Now to move away from mach3!

Associate
Hey I am looking. For help on a merkur progress I just bought. I am worried it’s fake.... the arrow is very different can anyone confirm for me? The arrow is not the normal hollow arrow but a smallish indentation of an arrow have a pic but haven’t a clue how to load it on here any help would be great

Soldato
Hey I am looking. For help on a merkur progress I just bought. I am worried it’s fake.... the arrow is very different can anyone confirm for me? The arrow is not the normal hollow arrow but a smallish indentation of an arrow have a pic but haven’t a clue how to load it on here any help would be great

Great first post on a computer forum. Your technology teachers will be besides themselves with joy that you searched for male grooming and ended up here.

Actually, now I think about it, this is exactly where you'd end up if you typed "male grooming" into Google given some of the members

Back
Top Bottom