Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

fez

fez

Caporegime
Use the cardboard box delivery method to save yourself some time. It wasn't very well advertised in game but if you take the documentation from the signposts next to the orange platforms which are at all major settlements then you can quite easily move from one place to another in seconds. You just have to stay stationary on a delivery platform while inside a cardboard box.

I did see that but it said you need the right manifest for your destination which I assumed was going to be a complete ballache.

Soldato
Well I've just failed first mission by getting stuck under a table and couldn't move guards spotted me but since I was stuck I couldn't shoot :( wouldn't mind so much but objective was in next room doh!
Also anyone else go looking at sound options to turn the music down only to find no options for it seems kind of daft since its supposed to be a stealth game i`m finding the music over powering

Soldato
Well I've just failed first mission by getting stuck under a table and couldn't move guards spotted me but since I was stuck I couldn't shoot :( wouldn't mind so much but objective was in next room doh!
Also anyone else go looking at sound options to turn the music down only to find no options for it seems kind of daft since its supposed to be a stealth game i`m finding the music over powering

It serves it's purpose in letting you know when enemies are near iirc. Still should have a slider though

I've already beaten the other games, that's why I asked if 4 was important story wise. I can easily Wiki the story if I need to.

Was in same boat, two five minute videos told me everything I needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAmzPI53EV8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LyyHqchsBw

MGS, MGS2 don't even come into it

Last edited:
Associate
Another quick tip, which isn't immediately obvious - Every big enemy base will have a bunch of radio hardware stacked on a table somewhere (identified by the blue lights).

Blow these up, along with the small radars, and enemy HQ comms will be disabled there, meaning no reinforcements if you ever get discovered :)

fez

fez

Caporegime
Another tip that I'm sure all of you realise is that guns with scopes are used by holding aim and then R1 to zoom. I'd been using the sniper like that but didn't twig that my assault rifle had a scope. Headshots are a piece of pee now.

Associate
No1PtM2h.jpg.png

Not sure if it's been posted or someone mentioned it but I didn't know this, but if you go to one of these in an outpost there is an invoice you can pick up. With this invoice you can travel to that outpost using a cardboard box and being delivered across the map as long as they're not looking for you. So like MGS1 then :p

Now going around all the outposts getting all of these.

Another tip that I'm sure all of you realise is that guns with scopes are used by holding aim and then R1 to zoom. I'd been using the sniper like that but didn't twig that my assault rifle had a scope. Headshots are a piece of pee now.

Yep, every gun does this. If it doesn't have a scope then it uses the iron sights.

Soldato
Is the development and staff management necessary? Only done 3 missions so far so I'll probably get the hang of it eventually. Although I'm only interested in completing the game with the tranq gun anyway.

Soldato
Dang these missions can be very long. I won't spoil anything. But the "honeybee" mission literally took me 2 hours to get through it. Sneaked through the whole lot.. Then the last section was a total masacre, I may as well have been playing a COD game! Haha..

Edit. Also. In ground zeroes, if you got a massive long kill with a sniper, it'd tell you how far it is and set a record. I haven't seen this yet on phantom pain?

Last edited:
Soldato
What I find dumb is you take control of an outpost for it to then spawn another group of guards on the shift change, or when you go back into a previous mission.

Soldato
Mother base is the most confusing thing ever. I'm low on suppressor and whenever I pick up a flower it says something like "use these to make a suppressor" but I can't find that option anywhere.

Associate
This game is so hard.

There is just not enough tranq for everyone so end up a blood bath almost every mission and I've only done 3 ! It does mean I am getting Rank C and below, so frustrating.

I haven't played MGS in over a decade and I can relate to this. I think it's the exact reason why I've never gone back to MGS games. I find the games too darn difficult.

Last edited:
Soldato
This game is so hard.

There is just not enough tranq for everyone so end up a blood bath almost every mission and I've only done 3 ! It does mean I am getting Rank C and below, so frustrating.

The trick is to lure them out, use spent magazines then sneak in behind a choke them out or hold them up, not always easy though, screwed myself up in mission 12 and 13 as didn't have the right setup for them, there u go another tip, making sure u have the right setup as well, which means redoing a mission again after u completed.

Soldato
This game is so hard.

You could:

- Lure them away then choke them or hold them up then force them to lie down
- Kill them instead but you'll want to do that silently or lure them away so you don't alert anyone else (or go commando and take everyone down in a hail of bullets)
- Avoid them completely, either watch their patrols or lure them away from you

I'm very average at this and haven't got below a B grade yet. Getting an S grade is largely down to speed, you get bonuses for other stuff but being quick gets you a heap of points.

Soldato
One thing I find confusing - the secondary objectives.

On chapter 4, I've gone back to get the secondary objectives (hostages and diamonds), yet when I've got the diamonds from the base it's not registering as complete? When I go to the next base to rescue hostages, they're also not there. I thought it may be because I hadn't gone into the original base to 'start' the mission fully, so went in the mission, did a few things and when I leave it completes the mission and ends.

anyone got any clues? Am I just 'approaching' the secondary objectives wrong? I've tried deploying from the helicopter and starting the mission from free roam.

Soldato
In the case of hidden diamonds, it means a specific diamond that is hidden somewhere (under a bridge, behind a tree, etc). Try interrogating one of the soldiers and they might give you the location.

The hostages will be there, they are quite well hidden inside two small buildings if I remember correctly :)

Soldato
This game is so hard.

Eh? Just a get a supply drop to replenish your tranq ammo and supressors?

edit: im getting at least two supply drops of ammo, suppressors and fulton's per mission. :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom